Author Topic: Pro Wrestling, Recycling the Stars of the 90s and 00s....(2017)  (Read 18257 times)

Offline NJ Ave

Strowman murdering Reigns may have been the best skit in recent RAW history. Each beating made the crowd cheer louder.
+1.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Matt "Rosey" Anoa'i, older brother of Joe "Roman Reigns" Anoa'i, passed away at age 47.  Rosey had a short-lived run in WWE, they both are the sons of Sika of the Wild Samoans.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Matt "Rosey" Anoa'i, older brother of Joe "Roman Reigns" Anoa'i, passed away at age 47.  Rosey had a short-lived run in WWE, they both are the sons of Sika of the Wild Samoans.

I think my favorite version of Rosey was S.H.I.T.  (Super Hero In Training)

RIP

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!

They're from Pensacola, Matt played football with Emmitt Smith at Escambia High.  He was only 47 but I guess very overweight and wrestlers roided it up pretty well back in the day, still sad though. 

Offline imref

They're from Pensacola, Matt played football with Emmitt Smith at Escambia High.  He was only 47 but I guess very overweight and wrestlers roided it up pretty well back in the day, still sad though. 

Sad that his cousin, and tag team partner (Jamal/Umaga), also died very young.

Roman Reigns was recently on the Chris Jericho podcast and discussed growing up in Pensacola.  After he washed out of the CFL he was working with his cousins, the Uso's, in the Uso's mom's family business installing office furniture.  He had fully intended to stay in the family business before realizing that he had the build and look to be a wrestler.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
Sad that his cousin, and tag team partner (Jamal/Umaga), also died very young.

Roman Reigns was recently on the Chris Jericho podcast and discussed growing up in Pensacola.  After he washed out of the CFL he was working with his cousins, the Uso's, in the Uso's mom's family business installing office furniture.  He had fully intended to stay in the family business before realizing that he had the build and look to be a wrestler.

I had no idea who "Roman Reigns" was until our local paper started talking about him awhile ago but my daughter was actually into wrestling in the late 90's and I know I've seen the name "Rikishi" mentioned in articles about him, I think he must've been from here too. 

Offline imref

I had no idea who "Roman Reigns" was until our local paper started talking about him awhile ago but my daughter was actually into wrestling in the late 90's and I know I've seen the name "Rikishi" mentioned in articles about him, I think he must've been from here too. 

They are all part of the most famous family in wrestling, along with Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.   Rikishi is Roman Reigns' uncle.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anoaʻi_family

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
They are all part of the most famous family in wrestling, along with Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.   Rikishi is Roman Reigns' uncle.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anoaʻi_family

I also found out recently that some famous Samoan wrestlers used to live in my hometown of Hamden and wrestle in their front lawn :lol: The Rock went to middle school there, small world :)

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
Jinder Mahal? And he appears to have formed a cliched evil foreigner heel trio with the Bollywoods? What the freakity freak?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Jinder Mahal? And he appears to have formed a cliched evil foreigner heel trio with the Bollywoods? What the freakity freak?

Why not? It's something different... probably a reward for getting in "amazing" shape... which I'm sure he'll test positive for a couple weeks after this angle runs its course.

Also, Shibata's career is over per Meltzer due to the headbutt he gave Okada. Strong style is awesome... but that was certainly a moment when "keeping it real" went too far.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
Why not? It's something different... probably a reward for getting in "amazing" shape... which I'm sure he'll test positive for a couple weeks after this angle runs its course.

Also, Shibata's career is over per Meltzer due to the headbutt he gave Okada. Strong style is awesome... but that was certainly a moment when "keeping it real" went too far.
It's not necessarily a bad thing; I'm seeing a LOT of people hating on him winning so he may actually get pretty good heel heat which is impressive against boring-ass babyface Orton. It just kinda feels like, even though Jinder has been getting progressively more of a push is recent times, that they missed a few steps between where he was as a jobber to the stars and contending for the WWE title. I'm curious to see where it goes, but it is still a kinda baffling decision. (It is smart of them to have AJ and KO facing off right now since that legit does feel like a main event matchup) I must admit though that I'd rather see Jinder in a title feud than freaking Bray Wyatt at this point.

Offline NJ Ave

#hottake: I'm more anti-Wyatt at this point than anti-Reigns.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
#hottake: I'm more anti-Wyatt at this point than anti-Reigns.
That's not a hot take at all now. Wyatt is a complete mess. He rambles about total nonsense and tries to act all spooky but it doesn't come across as spooky to anyone over the age of five. He's completely insufferable now and not in a good way. Plus, he just isn't a very good in-ring performer either.

Offline imref

That's not a hot take at all now. Wyatt is a complete mess. He rambles about total nonsense and tries to act all spooky but it doesn't come across as spooky to anyone over the age of five. He's completely insufferable now and not in a good way. Plus, he just isn't a very good in-ring performer either.

it's crazy that they never did a full blown Shield vs Wyatts program.

Offline imref

it looks like Matt Sydal aka Evan Bourne is heading to Impact.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
it looks like Matt Sydal aka Evan Bourne is heading to Impact.
I guess Impact doesn't do drug testing.

Offline imref

Offline imref

pretty good article on Japanese style wrestling and brain injuries in the wake of the likely end of Shibata's career from a headbutt.

http://deadspin.com/katsuyori-shibata-is-just-the-latest-japanese-wrestling-1794532912

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
So Glorious Domination was apparently originally written for Nakamura, but he didn't like it and refused to use it. Good choice on his part. It's a great song, but it so doesn't fit him. Plus, it eventually then wound up getting Bobby Roode over without him having to do anything AND Nak got his own awesome song that totally fits him.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
TNA taping spoiler.

Scott Steiner is back. TNA is now must see TV.

Offline imref

Ric Flair's finance' was involved in a serious car accident and is currently undergoing a CT scan.  She was the former "Fifi the maid" in WCW many years ago.

Update. Flair says she's ok.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Ric Flair's finance' was involved in a serious car accident and is currently undergoing a CT scan.  She was the former "Fifi the maid" in WCW many years ago.

Update. Flair says she's ok.

When you're 68, you don't have a fiance'e...especially if this is going to be your 5th wife...

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
So Billy Corgan just bought the NWA.

Offline imref

So Billy Corgan just bought the NWA.

There's still an NWA?

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
There's still an NWA?
Yup. Sort of. Here's an article explaining what is happening.

http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=109356