Author Topic: Pro Wrestling, Recycling the Stars of the 90s and 00s....(2017)  (Read 5930 times)

Online imref

• 1B: The New Hot Corner
Jim Ross's wife was seriously injured when her Vespa scooter was hit by a car.  She wasn't wearing a helmet and suffered multiple skull fractures.  Ross tweeted that she was in surgery and that he was praying for a miracle.

And Vince McMahon crashed his Bentley in Stamford but wasn't injured.

Online imref

Jim Ross's wife has died.  Very very sad.  Ross posted a heartfelt statement on his blog earlier today, saying that she was on life support.

http://www.jrsbarbq.com/blog

Online imref

A couple of wrestling sheets are reporting that the WWE is in talks to buy ROH.  The idea is that ROH would continue to exist as is, but would shift programming from Sinclair to the WWE network.

Online imref

Online imref

Bobby Roode may have the best entrance in the history of wrestling.  Whoever came up with it is a genius.

Roode vs nakamura was fantastic.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Champs!
AoP/#DIY/The Revival was such a fun match. Nothing on the main card will touch it.

Online Vega

Takeover was pretty solid. Sanity/Team Tye was a fun car wreck, Black and Almas beat the crap out of each other and it was awesome, and Asuka/Moon was stiff as crap and they made a good decision to not put the title on non-entity Moom yet and instead give her a journey to the belt. I had some issues with the other two matches though. The tag match was absolute gold right up until they pinned DIY first. That completely killed the crowd and led to a heel vs. heel ending, not to mention that the AoP either don't know how to sell or were not to sell because they showed absolute zero ill effects after taking massive amounts of offense which was irritating. Still really freaking good though for about 75% of the match. And Roode/Nak was decent, but it had some issues too. First, it went on way longer than their first match and that was not a good plan given who was in there. Roode is not Kenny Omega; he is a no-frills, slow-paced worker who simply doesn't have what is needed for a really long match like that. And second, there was a bit of Nak's trademark uneven effort as well. Compare the consistency of his selling of the knee is their last match (Which I really loved) to his selling of the knee in this match. He only sold the damage in the immediate moments following when Roode would hit it before hopping up and using the injured leg to kick Roode. Again, not a bad match, but they forgot a lot of what made their first match so exceptional in my opinion.

Online imref

Disagree on the main event. I thought it was really well done though the final ddt was pretty scary as nakamura appeared to land on his neck.   Afterwards he said his goodbyes to the crowd so it looks like he's going to the main roster after WM.   

Online imref

Hardyz are back!!

Online imref

That show was an hour too long.

Online Vega

Cruisers: Very well-worked worked match and they paid of Aries always talking on commentary about putting his thumb in his opponent's eye by having Neville do that very thing to Aries' injured eye. Great stuff.

IC: It was there. Nothing special.

Andre: Pretty solid. Dain looked really good and Mojo winning was a good decision.

AJ/Shane: Dude. What a freaking great match. AJ was fantastic as per the usual, but goddamn did Shane deliver the performance of his career. Actual good looking grappling, his strikes actually looked good for once, and he did his expected insane stunts. Best match of the show.
US: Exceeded expectations given that Jericho is old. Very solid.

Raw women: Totally fine. Good outcome and well-booked overall structure.

Raw tags: I mean, the match itself was a good multi-man spotfest, but the story is of course the thunderous reaction the Hardyz got. That was incredible. One of the biggest reactions of all time.

Cena/Nikki vs. Miz/Maryse: It was exactly what it needed to be. The crowd loved Miz which made the feel of the match kinda off, but it was fine. Of course, it was built for the proposal afterwards which got a good reaction so that's good.

HHH/Rollins: Well, the match itself was actually quite well done and structured aside from some spotty selling by Rollins, but the crowd didn't care because the match lasted for several hours. Freaking Haitch and his overly long Mania matches. Props to Steph for going through the table though.

WWE title: These dudes deserve the awards for Most Underwhelming Performance. What a disappointing match. Granted, Randy can be pretty dry and robotic at all times, but I expected better at Mania. I think it might be time to declare Wyatt to not be any good also. Oh, and the stupid projected graphics on the mat was goofy as hell. I think they got their time cut, but regardless, bad showing by both men.

Universal: Where the hell did this come from? This was awesome! A short sprint that got across everything it needed to. See? Not everything needs to be a damn epic to work! (Haitch...) Big props to Berg for putting on his bumping boots as well. Great stuff.

Smackdown women: Another short sprint spotfest. Solid stuff and good for Naomi on getting the win.

Taker/Reigns: Well... this was all the feels. The match itself was very tough to watch since Taker is so done that he couldn't do anything despite Reigns trying his damnedest. That really emphasized how the match was intentionally structured too since it was the old warrior who can't do it anymore being put out of his misery. The crowd reaction was interesting. Reigns wasn't getting heel heat I think because everyone saw just how broken down Taker is and it made them sad. The postmatch though. Man. It didn't undo how sad the match to watch, but this day was gonna come eventually and they did it well. Taker leaving his glove, jacket, and hat in the ring and kissing Michelle McCool at ringside to symbolize that the Deadman is gone and that he is just Mark Calloway again before walking back up the ramp was emotional stuff. Like, you don't typically want to leave the fans feeling something like that after Mania, but it's Taker, y'know? He HAD to go out somehow like that because Mania is as much his show as it is Vince's. So it was sad, but it actually was appropriate and the crowd got to express their appreciation after the match, so actually, I guess it wasn't all sadness. Going forward, I do feel there is a chance that they may have killed Reigns for good. Not in the sort of way where he gets booed universally, but in the sort of way where people just don't care anymore, but we'll have to wait and see how it goes.

So there you have it. Easily one of the best Manias ever. From top to bottom, it was really great and that is quite remarkable. Magnificent job by the WWE.

Online imref

I thought the show was just way way too long.  My favorite matches were Shane/AJ, Jericho/Owens (which should have gone on later in the show), and the tag match.  Goldberg/Lesnar was fine for what it was, but I still think it shouldn't have been for the title.  HHH/Rollins was a good match with good in-ring story-telling.  The ladies matches seemed rushed.  And spending 10 minutes or so on Pitbull and Flo Rida was a complete waste of time.  Reigns/UT was pretty awful and predictable.   Orton/Wyatt went on too late and was flat with the goofy ring visuals, and it was too soon to take the belt off of Wyatt.  The mixed-tag was OK.

The show exposed the difficulty of trying to get three brands into a PPV, the show was 7 hours long ending near midnight.  By the end I was just hoping it would end quick. 

The other big highlight IMHO were the visuals.  The stage, lighting, pyro, and crowd were all just perfect. 

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Champs!
About to watch Mania.

Looking forward to the Tag match and the entrances... but that's about it.

Online imref

Quite the chants so far,  but they seem to have the microphones turned down.

Online Vega

Pretty interesting who didn't debut on Raw. I for one am ready for Nakdown Live.

Offline NJ Ave

Pretty interesting who didn't debut on Raw. I for one am ready for Nakdown Live.

AJ-Shinsuke feud? Sign me up.

Online imref

for those of you who grew up on the NWA/WCW in the 80's and 90's, "What Happened When" with Tony Schiavone is an absolutely fantastic podcast.  Not appropriate for younger audiences though.

Online Vega

AJ-Shinsuke feud? Sign me up.
AJ is definitely headed to Raw next week though. I just think the structure of SDL is a solid fit for Nak in some ways and I have faith in Ryan Ward and Road Dogg to not write him into any situations where his weaknesses will be super exposed. The shorter matches on SDL better fit Nak's tendency to, shall we say, coast through non-big PPV matches. SDL is definitely the talking show more than Raw though which is a bit scary, but Nak speaks enough English to get his persona across. (I might even say that his limited English and wacky delivery makes him better than he'd be if he spoke perfect English.)

Offline Minty Fresh

Cruisers: Very well-worked worked match and they paid of Aries always talking on commentary about putting his thumb in his opponent's eye by having Neville do that very thing to Aries' injured eye. Great stuff.

IC: It was there. Nothing special.

Andre: Pretty solid. Dain looked really good and Mojo winning was a good decision.

AJ/Shane: Dude. What a freaking great match. AJ was fantastic as per the usual, but goddamn did Shane deliver the performance of his career. Actual good looking grappling, his strikes actually looked good for once, and he did his expected insane stunts. Best match of the show.
US: Exceeded expectations given that Jericho is old. Very solid.

Raw women: Totally fine. Good outcome and well-booked overall structure.

I'd agree with most of this.  I still don't understand the Bailey obsession but the match was well-booked.  And all of these matches were the best the show had to offer.

Raw tags: I mean, the match itself was a good multi-man spotfest, but the story is of course the thunderous reaction the Hardyz got. That was incredible. One of the biggest reactions of all time.

Meh.  I thought the addition of the Hardyz took away from Enzo and Cass's WM moment.  I'm not big on the Hardyz and I think WWE is probably gearing up towards splitting up Enzo and Cass.

Cena/Nikki vs. Miz/Maryse: It was exactly what it needed to be. The crowd loved Miz which made the feel of the match kinda off, but it was fine. Of course, it was built for the proposal afterwards which got a good reaction so that's good.

I wanted to puke.  I knew it was coming and I held out hope for either a Nikki or Cena heel turn, but I knew it was never going to happen.  I hated the ending and the match was forgettable.

HHH/Rollins: Well, the match itself was actually quite well done and structured aside from some spotty selling by Rollins, but the crowd didn't care because the match lasted for several hours. Freaking Haitch and his overly long Mania matches. Props to Steph for going through the table though.

I found myself caring very little about this match and about all of the Raw matches in general.  But agree about Steph.  Didn't think she'd do that.

WWE title: These dudes deserve the awards for Most Underwhelming Performance. What a disappointing match. Granted, Randy can be pretty dry and robotic at all times, but I expected better at Mania. I think it might be time to declare Wyatt to not be any good also. Oh, and the stupid projected graphics on the mat was goofy as hell. I think they got their time cut, but regardless, bad showing by both men.

I love Randy Orton and I love Bray Wyatt's character but even Randy's talent couldn't overcome Wyatt's lack thereof.  Bray needs a faction to succeed - he's just not that good a wrestler right now.  And this is where the show really started to head downhill.

Universal: Where the hell did this come from? This was awesome! A short sprint that got across everything it needed to. See? Not everything needs to be a damn epic to work! (Haitch...) Big props to Berg for putting on his bumping boots as well. Great stuff.

Meh. It was predictable.

Smackdown women: Another short sprint spotfest. Solid stuff and good for Naomi on getting the win.

Felt wasted.  The Smackdown womens division needs a lot of help. I marked out for Mickie James' return but she looks SLOW compared to Alexa Bliss and Becky Lynch.

Taker/Reigns: Well... this was all the feels. The match itself was very tough to watch since Taker is so done that he couldn't do anything despite Reigns trying his damnedest. That really emphasized how the match was intentionally structured too since it was the old warrior who can't do it anymore being put out of his misery. The crowd reaction was interesting. Reigns wasn't getting heel heat I think because everyone saw just how broken down Taker is and it made them sad. The postmatch though. Man. It didn't undo how sad the match to watch, but this day was gonna come eventually and they did it well. Taker leaving his glove, jacket, and hat in the ring and kissing Michelle McCool at ringside to symbolize that the Deadman is gone and that he is just Mark Calloway again before walking back up the ramp was emotional stuff. Like, you don't typically want to leave the fans feeling something like that after Mania, but it's Taker, y'know? He HAD to go out somehow like that because Mania is as much his show as it is Vince's. So it was sad, but it actually was appropriate and the crowd got to express their appreciation after the match, so actually, I guess it wasn't all sadness. Going forward, I do feel there is a chance that they may have killed Reigns for good. Not in the sort of way where he gets booed universally, but in the sort of way where people just don't care anymore, but we'll have to wait and see how it goes.

I thought the way the handled Undertaker was BRILLIANT.  It actually leaves the door open for a second person taking on the role (which is an awful idea but possible) and removes the man from the character.  A part of me wanted he and Kane to retire together and leave a WM stage in some supernatural fashion but I actually think what they did was better.

And agree on Reigns.  They butchered that Royal Rumble and pushed him too early and the only way he turns it around at this point is to recover from some horrific injury and become some sort of nostalgia case.

The Undertaker retirement was the ONLY thing they got right and the match was pathetic.

So there you have it. Easily one of the best Manias ever. From top to bottom, it was really great and that is quite remarkable. Magnificent job by the WWE.

Overall it was a good show, but it really started to go downhill with the Rollins v. HHH match and then started a downward death spiral during the WWE Title match.

Online Vega

Oh, make no mistake; the HHH match was well-executed technically, but it was not in any way good for the show. A five hour show does NOT need to have a plodding, twenty-five minute Haitch Mania "epic" square in the middle of it. And as far as the Smackdown women, I'm pretty sure they're gonna do a swap of Alexa for Charlotte. It's gonna be sad to lose Alexa since she is such a fantastic speaker and Smackdown is a show largely built around talking, but Charlotte will help the in ring stuff IMMENSELY. They badly needed an elite in-ring worker and they will now have one.

Online imref

Did you guys watch the Reigns segment on Raw last night?   Reigns sent out a tweet afterwards saying he could have stayed in the ring another 15 minutes.

Online Vega

So Nak's debut was perfect.

Offline Minty Fresh

With the way that NXT is booked, I think Raw is actually the third brand of WWE now.  Smackdown has been killing it lately and NXT is really well done with the newer stars. 

I hope they don't screw it up with this "Superstar Shakeup" crap . . .

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Champs!
Strowman murdering Reigns may have been the best skit in recent RAW history. Each beating made the crowd cheer louder.