Author Topic: Deaths of Famous People (2017)  (Read 38753 times)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
Re: Deaths of Famous People (2017)
« Reply #176: April 20, 2017, 11:37:29 AM »
Oh snap.  :shock:

Nah, you need more of a drop than he probably had for that to happen.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #177: April 20, 2017, 11:44:28 AM »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #178: April 20, 2017, 11:52:03 AM »
Marcia and BB have to be involved...  :couch:

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #179: April 20, 2017, 11:56:43 AM »
Marcia and BB have to be involved...  :couch:

He had "John 3:16" written on his forehead when they found him, my money's on Tebow :mg:

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #180: April 20, 2017, 12:11:27 PM »
Wasn't sure anyone would get it. :)

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #181: April 20, 2017, 12:11:46 PM »
 :shock:
He had "John 3:16" written on his forehead when they found him, my money's on Tebow :mg:

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #183: April 20, 2017, 01:31:41 PM »

I like it...

Certainly Marcia and BB are behind the Eli Manning "Helmet Gate."

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #184: April 20, 2017, 04:50:17 PM »
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/19/report-aaron-hernandez-had-john-316-written-on-his-forehead/

He also apparently smoked synthetic mj that night, prison sounds tough :?
"Hernandez’s lawyer, Jose Baez, has vowed to conduct his own investigation regarding the situation."

Baez was also the lead defense attorney for Casey Anthony, whom he got acquitted of murder.

So the investigation into Hernandez' death in jail will begin... as soon as Baez finds the real killer of Casey Anthony's 2-year-old daughter, Caylee.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #185: April 20, 2017, 05:43:33 PM »
Jose Baez is the absolute worst :smh:

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #186: April 20, 2017, 05:44:10 PM »
"Hernandez’s lawyer, Jose Baez, has vowed to conduct his own investigation regarding the situation."

Baez was also the lead defense attorney for Casey Anthony, whom he got acquitted of murder.

So the investigation into Hernandez' death in jail will begin... as soon as Baez finds the real killer of Casey Anthony's 2-year-old daughter, Caylee.

(Image removed from quote.)

He'll take OJs case next.    Maybe he can find the killer.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #187: April 21, 2017, 08:16:28 AM »

Lawrence J. Hogan Sr., the father of Maryland's governor who earned a reputation as a tough and independent-minded politician during three terms in the House of Representatives and one term as Prince George's County executive, died Thursday at Anne Arundel Medical Center, at the age of 88.
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/obituaries/bs-md-ob-lawrence-hogan-20170420-story.html

Watergate hearing

Offline mitlen

« Reply #188: April 21, 2017, 10:03:26 AM »
Lawrence J. Hogan Sr., the father of Maryland's governor who earned a reputation as a tough and independent-minded politician during three terms in the House of Representatives and one term as Prince George's County executive, died Thursday at Anne Arundel Medical Center, at the age of 88.
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/obituaries/bs-md-ob-lawrence-hogan-20170420-story.html

Watergate hearing

The politicians during that time (Watergate) were so different from today's species

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #189: April 21, 2017, 01:20:50 PM »
Those Rs on the House Judiciary Committee during the impeachment hearings . . . I think Bill Cohen made his reputation as willing to buck partisanship in those hearings. If Hogan was the first R to support impeachment, Cohen might have been the second.  And, of course, Trent Lott was on the committee and was one of Nixon's defenders until the last set of tapes came out.  When he pulled the plug, it was game over.  Then you had Goldwater and a few other leaders basically tell Nixon, "it's time," when he was still toying around with fighting.  Different from today's species . . . you bet. 

Offline mitlen

« Reply #190: April 21, 2017, 01:25:44 PM »
Those Rs on the House Judiciary Committee during the impeachment hearings . . . I think Bill Cohen made his reputation as willing to buck partisanship in those hearings. If Hogan was the first R to support impeachment, Cohen might have been the second.  And, of course, Trent Lott was on the committee and was one of Nixon's defenders until the last set of tapes came out.  When he pulled the plug, it was game over.  Then you had Goldwater and a few other leaders basically tell Nixon, "it's time," when he was still toying around with fighting.  Different from today's species . . . you bet. 

I don't think I had a job in those days.    I watched a lot of Senate and House hearings.     :)     For me, who can forget Barbara Jordan?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #191: April 21, 2017, 01:49:42 PM »
It was easier for Ds to be noble on that one.  Robert Drinan was my Congressman. It's a lot tougher to take on your own. 

Offline mitlen

« Reply #192: April 21, 2017, 01:52:31 PM »
It was easier for Ds to be noble on that one.  Robert Drinan was my Congressman. It's a lot tougher to take on your own. 

Absolutely, but she struck a nerve for me.     It was easy for everyone to dislike Nixon so I only give the R's half credit.    Wow, Father Drinan  ...  haven't thought about him in a long while.    Might have to see how many of 'em have passed.

http://watergate.info/impeachment/members-of-the-house-judiciary-committee

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #193: April 21, 2017, 09:26:00 PM »
Drinan nominated me for the Naval Academy, but I did not end up the appointment.  If you think I'm insufferable as a Yalie . . .

Funny thing about Drinan.  The conservatives hated him because he came up with the "I'm personally opposed to abortion, but I believe the Constitution protects the right to choose."  Being a Jesuit, that was cover for all the Catholics to not support abortion restrictions. Let's not debate the merits of this here, I'm just pointing out that this happened.  This was also at the same time as "liberation theology," which was a movement among priests to support economic justice and oppose capitalism.  Several "liberation theology" priests were involved in the Sandinista government and other revolutionary movements.  Some of the conservatives had a sympathetic ear in the Vatican in Pope John Paul II, so the Pope issued an order / directive / whatever that called for all priests to leave elected office.  This forced Drinan not to run for reelection in 1980 (It was widely reported this was the exact intent).   

The way things shook out, the D nominee kept Drinan's seat in a tight race when Reagan was carrying Massachusetts that year. The one-termer then turned around and beat a nice Catholic Congresswoman, Peg Heckler (Alberus Magnus and BC)  in the 1982 cycle when the Mass legislature had tried to gerrymander Drinan's successor out of his district.  Drinan's successor?  Barney Frank.  I guess the conservatives, Cardinal Medeiros, and JPII ended up outsmarting themselves.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #194: April 21, 2017, 09:29:18 PM »
Drinan nominated me for the Naval Academy, but I did not end up the appointment.  If you think I'm insufferable as a Yalie . . .

Funny thing about Drinan.  The conservatives hated him because he came up with the "I'm personally opposed to abortion, but I believe the Constitution protects the right to choose."  Being a Jesuit, that was cover for all the Catholics to not support abortion restrictions. Let's not debate the merits of this here, I'm just pointing out that this happened.  This was also at the same time as "liberation theology," which was a movement among priests to support economic justice and oppose capitalism.  Several "liberation theology" priests were involved in the Sandinista government and other revolutionary movements.  Some of the conservatives had a sympathetic ear in the Vatican in Pope John Paul II, so the Pope issued an order / directive / whatever that called for all priests to leave elected office.  This forced Drinan not to run for reelection in 1980 (It was widely reported this was the exact intent).   

The way things shook out, the D nominee kept Drinan's seat in a tight race when Reagan was carrying Massachusetts that year. The one-termer then turned around and beat a nice Catholic Congresswoman, Peg Heckler (Alberus Magnus and BC)  in the 1982 cycle when the Mass legislature had tried to gerrymander Drinan's successor out of his district.  Drinan's successor?  Barney Frank.  I guess the conservatives, Cardinal Medeiros, and JPII ended up outsmarting themselves.

Good history JCA.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #195: April 21, 2017, 11:04:54 PM »
Cuba Gooding  ...  pops  ...  senior

For those of a certain age, he sang "Everybody Plays the Fool".

http://wtop.com/entertainment/2017/04/singer-cuba-gooding-sr-found-dead-in-car-in-los-angeles/

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #196: April 22, 2017, 12:50:03 PM »
The politicians during that time (Watergate) were so different from today's species

The Nixon White House thought that Rep. Larry Hogan Sr. was firmly in their camp, because he repeatedly said that the White House should be able to present evidence and have general due process. Nixon and his family, including his daughters, had campaigned for Hogan, helping him first get elected in 1968. Hogan didn't like being in this situation before the House Judiciary Committee.

But Hogan had been an FBI agent, and that was a big selling point that helped get him elected in 1968 on the "Law & Order" issue. There were riots after the murder of Martin Luther King Jr, the assassination of Robert F.Kennedy, numerous protests of the Vietnam War, including riots at the 1968 Democrat convention in Chicago. The FBI was facing heavy criticism in this era for its hiring practices and general conduct. Once elected to Congress, Hogan found himself constantly defending the good things that the FBI had done.

In the Watergate "smoking gun" tape, from June 23, 1972, six days after the Watergate break-in, Nixon agrees that administration officials should approach Richard Helms, Director of the CIA, and Vernon A. Walters, Deputy Director, and ask them to request L. Patrick Gray, Acting Director of the FBI, to halt the Bureau's investigation into the Watergate break-in on the grounds that it was a national security matter. Manipulating the FBI to get away with committing crimes was not going to sit well with Hogan, given his background.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #197: April 22, 2017, 12:53:12 PM »

While working at the FBI, Hogan gathered information that was used for a segment of The FBI Story (1959) starring James Stewart. That film is on cable TCM right NOW. Larry Hogan Sr published a book decades later with that research, The Osage Indian Murders: The True Story of a Multiple Murder Plot to Acquire the Estates of Wealthy Osage Tribe Members.
https://www.amazon.com/Osage-Indian-Murders-21-Murder-Headrights/dp/096591741X

The Osage tribe had bought worthless land and huge oil deposits were later discovered. The book was written as an educational treatise, and details many of the Indian cultural activities. That made it popular among American Indians. The FBI was a small, obscure federal agency in 1923. The Indians desperately turned to it for help, which gave the FBI recognition and status.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #198: April 22, 2017, 01:04:25 PM »

The Nixon White House thought that Rep. Larry Hogan Sr. was firmly in their camp, because he repeatedly said that the White House should be able to present evidence and have general due process. Nixon and his family, including his daughters, had campaigned for Hogan, helping him first get elected in 1968. Hogan didn't like being in this situation before the House Judiciary Committee.

But Hogan had been an FBI agent, and that was a big selling point that helped get him elected in 1968 on the "Law & Order" issue. There were riots after the murder of Martin Luther King Jr, the assassination of Robert F.Kennedy, numerous protests of the Vietnam War, including riots at the 1968 Democrat convention in Chicago. The FBI was facing heavy criticism in this era for its hiring practices and general conduct. Once elected to Congress, Hogan found himself constantly defending the good things that the FBI had done.

In the Watergate "smoking gun" tape, from June 23, 1972, six days after the Watergate break-in, Nixon agrees that administration officials should approach Richard Helms, Director of the CIA, and Vernon A. Walters, Deputy Director, and ask them to request L. Patrick Gray, Acting Director of the FBI, to halt the Bureau's investigation into the Watergate break-in on the grounds that it was a national security matter. Manipulating the FBI to get away with committing crimes was not going to sit well with Hogan, given his background.
In hindsight, I wonder if he had a connection to Mark Felt (a/k/a "Deep Throat")?  I don't think Felt would have revealed the identity, and may have been suspicious of the Nixon loyalty, but you'd think they would have come across each other at the time. 

Offline mitlen

« Reply #199: April 22, 2017, 02:43:42 PM »
In hindsight, I wonder if he had a connection to Mark Felt (a/k/a "Deep Throat")?  I don't think Felt would have revealed the identity, and may have been suspicious of the Nixon loyalty, but you'd think they would have come across each other at the time. 

I always thought George H. W. Bush was "Deep Throat".      Felt made sense but surprised me.