Author Topic: Deaths of Famous People (2017)  (Read 38647 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Deaths of Famous People (2017)
« Topic Start: January 03, 2017, 11:52:50 PM »
Virginia Senator Chuck Colgan, at age 90:

http://www.insidenova.com/headlines/sen-colgan-dies-at-age/article_f345a40a-d208-11e6-8fee-8f74dcd06e4a.html

He served 50 years in the State Senate and was instrumental in the growth of Prince William County over that time.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Deaths of Famous People (2017)
« Reply #1: January 08, 2017, 02:55:36 PM »

Ayatollah Ali Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani, a former president of Iran and a founder of the Islamic Republic, who navigated the opaque shoals of his country’s theocracy as one of its most enduring, wiliest and wealthiest leaders, died on Sunday in Tehran. He was 82.

His death was announced by Iran’s state television.

As his career seesawed through periods of revolutionary zeal and confrontation with powerful conservative rivals, he was portrayed as a Machiavellian and often ruthless player in the power struggles among Iran’s elite factions, protected by his close association with Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, the revolutionary leader who overthrew the shah in 1979.

Known as a pragmatist and centrist inclined toward economic liberalism and political authoritarianism, Mr. Rafsanjani was accused by critics of corruption in amassing his fortune and of a readiness for harsh tactics to deal with dissent at home and abroad.

Argentina has accused Mr. Rafsanjani and other senior Iranian figures of complicity in the 1994 bombing of a Jewish community center in Buenos Aires, in which 85 people died. In 1997, a German court concluded that the highest levels of Iran’s political leadership had ordered the killing five years earlier of four exiled Iranian Kurdish dissidents in Berlin. The events added weight to American assertions that Iran was a sponsor of terrorism. Mr. Rafsanjani was president from 1989 to 1997.

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/08/world/middleeast/ayatollah-rafsanjani-dead.html?_r=0

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #3: January 08, 2017, 08:47:09 PM »
:clap:

Let's sing a hymn for him.

Him.   Him.    freak him.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #4: January 14, 2017, 02:07:58 AM »

William Peter Blatty, 89, died in Bethesda, MD, author of The Exorcist. Also wrote and directed The Ninth Configuration and Exorcist 3.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/william-peter-blatty-author-of-the-exorcist-dies-at-89/2017/01/13/729974bc-d9a1-11e6-9a36-1d296534b31e_story.html?utm_term=.934d10f8a422

I have relatives who knew him and I sort of met him once.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #5: January 14, 2017, 07:09:43 AM »
Let's sing a hymn for him.

Him.   Him.    freak him.
freak hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiim with a rusty spoon

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #6: January 14, 2017, 01:13:35 PM »
And maybe his best book, Legion. IMHO, anyway.

(Image removed from quote.)

William Peter Blatty, 89, died in Bethesda, MD, author of The Exorcist. Also wrote and directed The Ninth Configuration and Exorcist 3.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/william-peter-blatty-author-of-the-exorcist-dies-at-89/2017/01/13/729974bc-d9a1-11e6-9a36-1d296534b31e_story.html?utm_term=.934d10f8a422

I have relatives who knew him and I sort of met him once.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #7: January 14, 2017, 02:16:20 PM »
And maybe his best book, Legion. IMHO, anyway.
Legion was made from the 1983 novel into a movie in 1990, originally called Legion but changed to Exorcist III. It was directed by Blatty, who strongly protested the linkage created by using the title The Exorcist III. The film stars George C. Scott, Ed Flanders, Jason Miller, Scott Wilson and Brad Dourif. The film was drastically altered in post-production with re-shoots imposed by Morgan Creek Productions, who demanded the last-minute addition of an exorcism sequence for the climax of the film. The final version differed from Blatty's vision.

A director's cut of Blatty's original vision of the film was released by Scream Factory on October 25, 2016. Blu-ray producer Cliff MacMillan said “We conducted an exhaustive search ...from the original shoot to re-create William Peter Blatty’s intended vision. Unfortunately, that footage has been lost to time. To that end, we turned to VHS tapes of the film’s dailies to assemble the director’s cut. However, even some of that footage was incomplete, so scenes from the theatrical re-shoot were used to fill in the gaps. This director’s cut is a composite of varying footage quality from the best available sources.”

My sister gave me a copy of The Exorcist, which I read before seeing the movie. She warned me not to start reading it late, as you won't be able to put it down. (Lots of people have posted this online.) I did it anyway, and finished reading it at 2:00 am or 3:00 am. I was a little afraid to turn off the light at that point.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #8: January 14, 2017, 07:00:31 PM »
Legion was made from the 1983 novel into a movie in 1990, originally called Legion but changed to Exorcist III. It was directed by Blatty, who strongly protested the linkage created by using the title The Exorcist III. The film stars George C. Scott, Ed Flanders, Jason Miller, Scott Wilson and Brad Dourif. The film was drastically altered in post-production with re-shoots imposed by Morgan Creek Productions, who demanded the last-minute addition of an exorcism sequence for the climax of the film. The final version differed from Blatty's vision.

A director's cut of Blatty's original vision of the film was released by Scream Factory on October 25, 2016. Blu-ray producer Cliff MacMillan said “We conducted an exhaustive search ...from the original shoot to re-create William Peter Blatty’s intended vision. Unfortunately, that footage has been lost to time. To that end, we turned to VHS tapes of the film’s dailies to assemble the director’s cut. However, even some of that footage was incomplete, so scenes from the theatrical re-shoot were used to fill in the gaps. This director’s cut is a composite of varying footage quality from the best available sources.”

My sister gave me a copy of The Exorcist, which I read before seeing the movie. She warned me not to start reading it late, as you won't be able to put it down. (Lots of people have posted this online.) I did it anyway, and finished reading it at 2:00 am or 3:00 am. I was a little afraid to turn off the light at that point.

Good intel N2P. 

The original book was inspired by true events in PG County.  I recall quite a bit of diversity of opinion among priests in our PG parish, as to whether exorcism was real or not.

Speaking of books that were scary and hard to put down, Jurassic Park is one heck of a terrific book.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #9: January 15, 2017, 02:08:45 PM »
Good intel N2P. 

The original book was inspired by true events in PG County.  I recall quite a bit of diversity of opinion among priests in our PG parish, as to whether exorcism was real or not...
A local writer, Mark Opsasnick, did a tremendous amount of research about the true story that inspired The Exorcist, interviewing people who knew the boy. It is lengthy, told in 5 parts, and can be read here:

http://www.strangemag.com/exorcistpage1.html

Opsasnick concluded that the boy was not possessed. But there was a key eyewitness who was never interviewed by Opsasnick. My uncle, who coincidentally knew Exorcist author, William Peter Blatty, met the altar boy who had come to the allegedly possessed boy's home, to help bring him to Georgetown Hospital. The altar boy was a big guy, and told my uncle that he saw items flying around on their own in the home's attic.

The allegedly possessed boy transferred to Gonzaga High School in DC and became a Catholic. The picture of the boy in this article is in one of my uncle's Gonzaga yearbooks. When the local priest involved in the exorcism died, the altar boy said that the formerly possessed boy attended the priest's funeral, where they recognized each other.

Another odd coincidence, I've known the owner of Dream Wizards, a game store in Rockville MD, for decades. Her late husband published Strange Magazine, in which the above article appeared. The magazine was sold in that store. I told her about the altar boy.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #10: January 15, 2017, 04:19:18 PM »
Jimmy "super fly" Snuka, 73.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #11: January 15, 2017, 04:54:10 PM »
As much involvement as you have in this story... are you sure you aren't the demon????

A local writer, Mark Opsasnick, did a tremendous amount of research about the true story that inspired The Exorcist, interviewing people who knew the boy. It is lengthy, told in 5 parts, and can be read here:

http://www.strangemag.com/exorcistpage1.html

Opsasnick concluded that the boy was not possessed. But there was a key eyewitness who was never interviewed by Opsasnick. My uncle, who coincidentally knew Exorcist author, William Peter Blatty, met the altar boy who had come to the allegedly possessed boy's home, to help bring him to Georgetown Hospital. The altar boy was a big guy, and told my uncle that he saw items flying around on their own in the home's attic.

The allegedly possessed boy transferred to Gonzaga High School in DC and became a Catholic. The picture of the boy in this article is in one of my uncle's Gonzaga yearbooks. When the local priest involved in the exorcism died, the altar boy said that the formerly possessed boy attended the priest's funeral, where they recognized each other.

Another odd coincidence, I've known the owner of Dream Wizards, a game store in Rockville MD, for decades. Her late husband published Strange Magazine, in which the above article appeared. The magazine was sold in that store. I told her about the altar boy.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #12: January 15, 2017, 05:38:04 PM »

Thanks, fascinating story.   

"I DO believe in spooks, I DO believe in spooks, I DO believe in spooks....."

Offline mitlen

« Reply #13: January 16, 2017, 04:57:08 PM »
Eugene Cernan, last man on the moon, dies:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/16/us/eugene-cernan-dies/index.html

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #16: January 19, 2017, 05:53:29 PM »
RIP Miguel Ferrer, a terrific character actor who was particularly terrific in the original Robocop.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/miguel-ferrer-dies-%E2%80%98ncis-los-angeles%E2%80%99-and-%E2%80%98crossing-jordan%E2%80%99-star-was-61/ar-AAm21Jf

Offline mitlen

« Reply #17: January 19, 2017, 05:54:23 PM »
RIP Miguel Ferrer, a terrific character actor who was particularly terrific in the original Robocop.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/miguel-ferrer-dies-%E2%80%98ncis-los-angeles%E2%80%99-and-%E2%80%98crossing-jordan%E2%80%99-star-was-61/ar-AAm21Jf

Long as it ain't LeRoy Jethro Gibbs.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #18: January 19, 2017, 05:55:20 PM »
Long as it ain't LeRoy Jethro Gibbs.

hahah half the women in my firm would need to take bereavement leave :lol:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #19: January 19, 2017, 05:57:02 PM »
hahah half the women in my firm would need to take bereavement leave :lol:

I'm not familiar with any of Ferrer's work.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #20: January 19, 2017, 06:25:23 PM »

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #21: January 22, 2017, 11:19:38 AM »
Royals pitcher Yordano Ventura has died at the age of 25, in a car crash in the Dominican Republic. Tragic. https://mobile.twitter.com/CristianMorenoD/status/823196072738693120

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #22: January 25, 2017, 02:47:30 PM »
RIP, Mary Tyler Moore, age 80.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #23: January 25, 2017, 02:48:56 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)  (Image removed from quote.)

What a wonderful person (if she was anything like her characters).

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #24: January 25, 2017, 03:06:39 PM »

Sad :( I remember me and my sisters watching her, Bob Newhart and then Carol Burnett on Saturday nights, we loved those stupid shows :(