Author Topic: Propane smoker?  (Read 1501 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: Propane smoker?
« Reply #25: December 28, 2016, 07:26:23 PM »
If you have a baby on the way, set it and forget it has value. I used to use charcoal constantly, but the weber has lived in the shed since the oldest got mobile

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #26: December 29, 2016, 08:03:21 AM »
Just to be clear, I know so little about this that I first thought that the smoke was from the propane, not the chips or whatever you put in.  I'd imagine you can get a pretty clean burn of propane as long as it is tuned well.  No smoke in tuned gas combustion.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #27: December 29, 2016, 08:41:25 AM »
Just to be clear, I know so little about this that I first thought that the smoke was from the propane, not the chips or whatever you put in.  I'd imagine you can get a pretty clean burn of propane as long as it is tuned well.  No smoke in tuned gas combustion.
Oh no, you put wood chips in a tray above the burner and that's what's smoked.

The trick is to get a small amount of smoke. A wispy, blue smoke is preferred. If you see billows of white smoke for too long, it means your putting burned wood residue on the meat, which is less than desirable.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #28: December 29, 2016, 09:26:43 AM »
So, the purists will say wood or charcoal only. They will say the propane will flavor the meat. And, honestly, they are probably right. However, most people can't tell the difference unless they're given side by side samples.

I've usually seen it the other way around - the gas doesn't affect the taste of the meat, while the charcoal/wood, if cooked at the right heat (ie the blue smoke you mention a few posts later) improves the taste of the meat by adding tasty chemical interactions. You're spot on with the white smoke. See that and you're going to be sad in the mouth.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #29: December 29, 2016, 09:28:12 AM »
I've usually seen it the other way around - the gas doesn't affect the taste of the meat, while the charcoal/wood, if cooked at the right heat (ie the blue smoke you mention a few posts later) improves the taste of the meat by adding tasty chemical interactions. You're spot on with the white smoke. See that and you're going to be sad in the mouth.
So this is where the purists and the layman will be at odds. Most people honestly won't tell the difference between wood/charcoal and propane, unless it's a side by side comparison. Particularly if the propane is done well (ie, no bad smoke)

Offline dracnal

« Reply #30: December 29, 2016, 10:38:46 AM »
So this is where the purists and the layman will be at odds. Most people honestly won't tell the difference between wood/charcoal and propane, unless it's a side by side comparison. Particularly if the propane is done well (ie, no bad smoke)

Interesting thought. I can honestly say I've never tasted the two side by side. I ate propane cooked burgers and steaks for a long time before switching to charcoal (which I definitely like better), but since I haven't done a side by side, it may be a mindfact that I've created simply because 'charcoal tastes better.' Now I need someone with a pickup truck and a propane grill to put up against my CharKing.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #31: December 29, 2016, 10:46:07 AM »
That was the name of my high school garage band.