Author Topic: What food/drink do you dislike and why?  (Read 7405 times)

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
Re: What food/drink do you dislike and why?
« Reply #125: December 19, 2016, 11:41:46 AM »
Does it qualify for this list if you enjoy the edible bits but hate the work involved (crab)?

Yeah, I love crabs but can't stand the work. So the secret is not to be too hungry when eating crabs so you're not all impatient. Then you can look at them like they're a snack and not a meal.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #126: December 19, 2016, 11:41:54 AM »
Does it qualify for this list if you enjoy the edible bits but hate the work involved (crab)?

There will be plenty of time in my life to sit at a table with a bib crookedly hung around my neck and bang crustaceans with a wooden mallet.   I don't need to do that now.    Plus, I don't like 'em.     :)

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #127: December 19, 2016, 12:01:46 PM »
But crab picking is a great social event - I'd like to do it with many WNFFers sometime.  Can anyone picture certain pairings of us throwing the shells at each other ?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #128: December 19, 2016, 12:02:40 PM »
But crab picking is a great social event - I'd like to do it with many WNFFers sometime.  Can anyone picture certain pairings of us throwing the shells at each other ?

Let's do it in VA.    We can carry weapons.     :)

Offline dracnal

« Reply #129: December 19, 2016, 12:11:32 PM »
I feel kind of bad about this thread because it reminds me of just how many foods I have issues with. I can eat cooked and diced tomatoes. Cannot eat raw tomato larger than a certain size. The mouthfeel is just ew for me. Most foods with a strong scent I can't take, especially sulfurous ones like cauliflower and brussel sprouts (though I can eat them on rare occasions).  Any fish that was ever frozen is unbearable. I can be okay with peas and then have one squish wrong and immediately need to suppress a gag reflex.

Eating meat that contains too much tendon, gristle or fat will usually be enough to make me quit eating - despite the fact that I love the taste of ribeye steaks.  Bell peppers are blech. Non-shrimp shellfish has too much of an odor/flavor.

Needless to say, my wife really hates menu planning. I tell her to just make whatever she wants to make and I'll eat what I can. She doesn't like this because she feels hurt that her cooking makes me gag. It doesn't - my ridiculous oversensitivity is the issue. On the upside, at least I'm not stuck with that problem of only eating chicken nuggets, grilled cheese and generally white/fried things. That'd really suck.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #130: December 19, 2016, 12:34:23 PM »
Totally.  That's one thing I miss about living on the west coast...dungeness crabs are like lump crabmeat delivery systems. 

That's why crab cakes are a thing

Offline mitlen

« Reply #131: December 19, 2016, 01:23:06 PM »
I feel kind of bad about this thread because it reminds me of just how many foods I have issues with. I can eat cooked and diced tomatoes. Cannot eat raw tomato larger than a certain size. The mouthfeel is just ew for me. Most foods with a strong scent I can't take, especially sulfurous ones like cauliflower and brussel sprouts (though I can eat them on rare occasions).  Any fish that was ever frozen is unbearable. I can be okay with peas and then have one squish wrong and immediately need to suppress a gag reflex.

Eating meat that contains too much tendon, gristle or fat will usually be enough to make me quit eating - despite the fact that I love the taste of ribeye steaks.  Bell peppers are blech. Non-shrimp shellfish has too much of an odor/flavor.

Needless to say, my wife really hates menu planning. I tell her to just make whatever she wants to make and I'll eat what I can. She doesn't like this because she feels hurt that her cooking makes me gag. It doesn't - my ridiculous oversensitivity is the issue. On the upside, at least I'm not stuck with that problem of only eating chicken nuggets, grilled cheese and generally white/fried things. That'd really suck.

Do you cook?     :couch:    Missus favorite refrain when I'd ask, "What's for dinner?" was, "What are you making?"

Offline Optics

« Reply #132: December 19, 2016, 01:26:16 PM »
I can't stand Thai food. People love it but I don't know, every time I try it I barely eat any of it. Its nasty.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #133: December 19, 2016, 01:56:12 PM »
I can't stand Thai food. People love it but I don't know, every time I try it I barely eat any of it. Its nasty.
Just eat it really hot to burn your tongue. Then you won't taste it.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #134: December 19, 2016, 02:06:31 PM »
When it got trendy a lot of really mediocre Thai places opened (more often than not run by non-Thais).  Personally, I love good Thai food (but I also grew up there).  Crystal Thai in Arlington and Benjarong in Rockville have been really solid over the years. 

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #135: December 19, 2016, 02:10:31 PM »
Is it the heat or the teriyaki flavor that gets you ?  The pork belly dish made down here in OBX is really awesome and not spicy hot.

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #136: December 19, 2016, 02:11:37 PM »
Well done pad thai is the crap!

• babble on
« Reply #137: December 19, 2016, 02:12:44 PM »
Most Thai food has fish sauce...while not particularly fishy, it does have a strong flavour...if you don't like it, you can pretty much forget any southeast asian food.  Ditto if one is cilantro-averse.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #138: December 19, 2016, 02:22:58 PM »
Do you cook?     :couch:    Missus favorite refrain when I'd ask, "What's for dinner?" was, "What are you making?"

I do, actually. Not as often as I could, I suppose, but I learned many years ago to handle myself in the kitchen. My dad was stationed at Torrejon AB in Spain and both he and my mother had to go to NIH for medical reasons for about three months. Living alone at sixteen, I had to maintain the standards expected of a Colonel. Got to do all the yard work, cooking, cleaning, laundry, maintain school grades, not have wild parties, etc. You grow up fast if you don't have any other choice, ya know?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #139: December 19, 2016, 02:48:15 PM »
I do, actually. Not as often as I could, I suppose, but I learned many years ago to handle myself in the kitchen. My dad was stationed at Torrejon AB in Spain and both he and my mother had to go to NIH for medical reasons for about three months. Living alone at sixteen, I had to maintain the standards expected of a Colonel. Got to do all the yard work, cooking, cleaning, laundry, maintain school grades, not have wild parties, etc. You grow up fast if you don't have any other choice, ya know?

Bet it does.   

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #140: December 19, 2016, 03:06:38 PM »
'ten hut!

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #141: December 20, 2016, 11:42:58 AM »
My review of the Dallas Cowboys' stadium restaurant fits here!
http://www.dallasobserver.com/restaurants/with-atandt-stadium-club-the-dallas-cowboys-have-a-cleveland-browns-quality-restaurant-8987826

"At one point, a waiter arrived at the bar with a half-full glass of a brown liquor and set it down next to some newly-made drinks. A bartender looked at that glass, poured some Jack Daniels into it and passed it to a new customer."

"It charges $300 for a meal — one of the most expensive menus in Texas, and one of the most expensive buffets in the world....But when the Club claims to be a dining destination, when it touts one-percenter exclusivity as a substitute for culinary effort, when it fails to prepare for road game crowds, when it hires inadequate staff and gives them no support, when it charges $16 for a sandwich but can’t be bothered to buy a real soap dispenser, when it can’t even get us a Miller Lite — well, what’s the point?"

Offline mitlen

« Reply #142: December 20, 2016, 11:46:15 AM »
My review of the Dallas Cowboys' stadium restaurant fits here!
http://www.dallasobserver.com/restaurants/with-atandt-stadium-club-the-dallas-cowboys-have-a-cleveland-browns-quality-restaurant-8987826

"At one point, a waiter arrived at the bar with a half-full glass of a brown liquor and set it down next to some newly-made drinks. A bartender looked at that glass, poured some Jack Daniels into it and passed it to a new customer."

"It charges $300 for a meal — one of the most expensive menus in Texas, and one of the most expensive buffets in the world....But when the Club claims to be a dining destination, when it touts one-percenter exclusivity as a substitute for culinary effort, when it fails to prepare for road game crowds, when it hires inadequate staff and gives them no support, when it charges $16 for a sandwich but can’t be bothered to buy a real soap dispenser, when it can’t even get us a Miller Lite — well, what’s the point?"

So, ya didn't like it.    :)     I can't imagine payin' that kind of money to eat at a football field.   

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #143: December 20, 2016, 11:53:46 AM »
Well yeah, and freak Jerry Jones too!

Offline mitlen

« Reply #144: December 20, 2016, 11:55:11 AM »

There is that.     :)

• babble on
« Reply #145: December 20, 2016, 12:06:33 PM »
 :clap:

"cardboardian" is hands-down the best neologism of 2016, and may be the only good thing to come from this shyte year. 

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #146: December 20, 2016, 12:18:44 PM »
That's part of it!

As my friend put it, "Typical Jerry Jones nickel-and-diming to charge $300 for this when he can't even get real freaking soap dispensers for the bathrooms."

:clap:

"cardboardian" is hands-down the best neologism of 2016, and may be the only good thing to come from this shyte year. 
:bow: but as far as only good thing, you're forgetting David S. Pumpkins

• babble on
« Reply #147: December 20, 2016, 12:34:08 PM »
OK, but it's a short list