Author Topic: Closer Watch: 2017  (Read 55149 times)

Offline DPMOmaha

Re: Closer Watch: 2017
« Reply #525: April 27, 2017, 10:11:35 AM »
Better fix that bullpen asap. In today's game, the bullpen is critical. The playoff games are almost always bullpen games, so if you are serious about contending for WS, better build a competent pen!
Chillax, boss. It'll get fixed. It really doesn't need to be totally fixed by the end of April.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #526: April 27, 2017, 10:12:53 AM »
Chillax, boss. It'll get fixed. It really doesn't need to be totally fixed by the end of April.
Also, one of the starters goes to the pen in October. 

Offline Trea Burner

« Reply #527: April 27, 2017, 10:52:47 AM »

I am chillaxed. Just don't want to see the same movie over and over  :mg:

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #528: April 27, 2017, 11:01:46 AM »
CP- David Robertson
3B- Todd Frazier 

For

3B- Anthony Rendon
RP- Blake Treinen

Would that get it done or would we have to throw in a prospect?

Why the freak do we want Todd Frazier?

How about we simply trade our prospects for a closer? I really DGAF about anything beyond 2018. Win a freaking WS now and you can be a 100+ loss team in 2019 for all I care.

I'm so freaking tired of knowing EXACTLY what the problem is and doing NOTHING to fix it. Trade away Fedde and Robles, get the bullpen you actually need, and stop worrying about the 2021 roster.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #529: April 27, 2017, 11:02:27 AM »
Brandon Kintzler might be an option.   He's in the last year of his deal with the Twins, and after a good start they are playing more like the Twins (10-11, 3-7 in their last ten).

Offline Slateman

« Reply #530: April 27, 2017, 11:04:39 AM »
Brandon Kintzler might be an option.   He's in the last year of his deal with the Twins, and after a good start they are playing more like the Twins (10-11, 3-7 in their last ten).

As middle relief, sure. As a closer, nope.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #531: April 27, 2017, 11:06:56 AM »
How about we simply trade our prospects for a closer? I really DGAF about anything beyond 2018. Win a freaking WS now and you can be a 100+ loss team in 2019 for all I care.

I'm so freaking tired of knowing EXACTLY what the problem is and doing NOTHING to fix it. Trade away Fedde and Robles, get the bullpen you actually need, and stop worrying about the 2021 roster.

YAAAAAASSSSSS.  Once Bryce is gone we're back to bottom feeders anyway.  Shoot the moon right now.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #532: April 27, 2017, 11:23:39 AM »

I'm 100% on-board with your assessment...

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #533: April 27, 2017, 11:24:02 AM »
YAAAAAASSSSSS.  Once Bryce is gone we're back to bottom feeders anyway.  Shoot the moon right now.

Royce AND Murphy...

Offline Trea Burner

« Reply #534: April 27, 2017, 11:28:03 AM »

This is why I always say I would rather be the Marlins than the Nats. At least the Marlins have 2 WS rings and for as bad as loria is, he is more of a champion than anyone in Nats organization. Watch them win another one now under Jeter.

Seriously, just win one bleeping championship. What's the point of perpetual fake contending? A few butts in the seats? Win a championship and see how much more revenue you make off merchandise. Short sighted, the dc market is...freaking go all in. Sheesh.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #535: April 28, 2017, 12:03:56 PM »
When Matt Albers enters a game at Nats Park, do fans begin chanting "Hey Hey Hey" (which was Bill Cosby's chant for Fat Albert) ?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #536: April 28, 2017, 12:08:42 PM »
Do we really have to make disparaging references to his weight? Cmon guys .... we aren't Philthy Phans

Offline Monarch

« Reply #537: April 28, 2017, 12:23:15 PM »
Do we really have to make disparaging references to his weight? Cmon guys .... we aren't Philthy Phans

Who was that RP we had a few years ago that was on the heavy side and he'd sprint as fast as he could to the mound? We ultimately had an "official" timer for it and the crowd got into it.

Offline tzinc

« Reply #538: April 28, 2017, 12:56:03 PM »
Last year they did nothing to improve their offense
This year they did nothing to improve the bullpen

They always come up short
Just once why not spend money and fix all the holes on the club

Offline Slateman

« Reply #539: April 28, 2017, 01:11:07 PM »
Who was that RP we had a few years ago that was on the heavy side and he'd sprint as fast as he could to the mound? We ultimately had an "official" timer for it and the crowd got into it.

Todd Coffey. Coffey Time.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #540: April 28, 2017, 01:20:46 PM »

Because smart organizations aren't knee-jerk and completely wreckless the way fans like you want them to be.  How many people, probably including you, would've said we need to trade a top prospect to replace Zimmerman with someone at 1B this offseason?  We have the best record in baseball.  We have a bullpen full of guys this organization likes and believes in, just like they believed Zimmerman could bounce back like this.  We'll see what needs to be done as the season progresses.  Trading away future center pieces of the organization right now is foolish. 

There is urgency to win now, as there has been since 2012, but there is no need to mortgage the future entirely.  You can act with balance on winning now while protecting the future.  Rizzo has done that 5 years running now, and that is the plan going forward.  I expect this franchise to continue to compete year in and year out and retool each offseason.  We have Max and Strasburg locked up for a long-time and Roark and Ross also controlled.  We'll have to retool around Turner in the lineup down the road with questions surrounding if we can extend Harper, what the future holds for Murphy, can Zimmerman continue this resurgence into his mid-30s, etc.

« Reply #541: April 28, 2017, 01:21:41 PM »
Last year they did nothing to improve their offense
This year they did nothing to improve the bullpen

They always come up short
Just once why not spend money and fix all the holes on the club

Huge contracts were offered to Jansen, Chapman, and Melancon. 

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #542: April 28, 2017, 01:24:12 PM »
Trade Rendon for a closer if he ever heats up. Put Drew or Difo at third. I mean, what function does Rendon serve in this lineup (even if he starts hitting his normal self,) compared with a very necessary closer?
Our lineup's strength is depth. Even when Wieters and Werth struggle, that bottom of the lineup is a lot better than most out there. Rendon leaving just opens a hole that will be hard to patch with Difo/Drew and hurts the bench.

And if Rendon ever has a good season start to finish, he's probably your 3 hole hitter on opening day in 2019.

« Reply #543: April 28, 2017, 01:26:31 PM »
This is why I always say I would rather be the Marlins than the Nats. At least the Marlins have 2 WS rings and for as bad as loria is, he is more of a champion than anyone in Nats organization. Watch them win another one now under Jeter.

Seriously, just win one bleeping championship. What's the point of perpetual fake contending? A few butts in the seats? Win a championship and see how much more revenue you make off merchandise. Short sighted, the dc market is...freaking go all in. Sheesh.

You think they planned to come up short?  It's not easy to win a World Series.  Our last 6 postseason losses were by 1 run I saw the other day.  You think Rizzo is thinking during the season we're going to lose elimination games by a run?  He's had teams that were good enough they just didn't perform well enough in the postseason.  We also were missing Strasburg 2 of those 3 postseasons and were missing Ramos last year as well.  I guess all those complaining didn't follow the organization back to the Expos days.  Now that was frustrating.  We've been steadily knocking on the door and eventually it will be kicked in.  I love the fact that we haven't sold out completely and had to rebuild.  There is no guarantee when you make wreckless moves and you can still come up short and then have no chance again the next several years.  We're a top contender this year, and will be again next year.  Think about it.  Who are we set to lose after this season?  Werth will be put out to pasture and we'll have to make a decision with Wieters at the catcher position.

« Reply #544: April 28, 2017, 01:28:58 PM »
Our lineup's strength is depth. Even when Wieters and Werth struggle, that bottom of the lineup is a lot better than most out there. Rendon leaving just opens a hole that will be hard to patch with Difo/Drew and hurts the bench.

And if Rendon ever has a good season start to finish, he's probably your 3 hole hitter on opening day in 2019.

Agreed.  Rendon may seem "expendable" in this lineup now, but the beauty of the depth of this lineup is that you have guys who can get hot when other guys go cold.  There will be stretches where the guys red hot now go cold and then you may have guys like Rendon carrying the load.

Aside from Difo being much, much worse, you just weaken your bench.  Drew might be able to be close to Rendon's production over a season, but what if you have another infield injury to Turner or Murphy?  Who plays then?

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #545: April 28, 2017, 04:26:59 PM »
i think he figures that Fraziers bombs would make up for that production. But my problem with acquiring Frazier is that he strikes out sooooo much. That is what is making this line up tough. they do not strike out a ton.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #546: April 28, 2017, 04:34:54 PM »
Lol at Rendon being expendable.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #547: April 28, 2017, 05:09:10 PM »
Not you too Slate. Leave PC to BiL.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #548: April 28, 2017, 05:40:45 PM »
Not you too Slate. Leave PC to BiL.

I like how "kind" and "not mean" is now called PC

Offline whytev

« Reply #549: April 28, 2017, 05:41:23 PM »
Huge contracts were offered to Jansen, Chapman, and Melancon.

We still might get Melancon the way the Giants are going.