Author Topic: Riding the Pine: The 2017 Bench.  (Read 1779 times)

Offline whytev

Riding the Pine: The 2017 Bench.
« Topic Start: December 12, 2016, 11:21:14 AM »
Now that we have settled the starting lineup, it seems like time for the bench.

Right now we have:

Heisey
Robinson
Difo
Goodwin or Taylor
Norris or Lóbaton

This is underwhelming. Heisey and Drew were both awesome last year, and I would like a repeat of that. Also, nobody is really behind Difo, which makes him the only backup for three players. We definitely need a veteran bench guy who can play all around the IF, and Difo to be sent back down.

As stated in the other thread, Goodwin could be the perfect LHH complement to Heisey. I hope he works out. I hope Taylor doesn't trick us again by turning into spring training Barry Bonds.

As for Clint...I don't know what to say. He just isn't very good. And Zimmerman needs a lot of time off. I'd rather have a third C or a second utility iF so Murphy and Norris could be the backup 1Bs.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Riding the Pine: The 2017 Bench.
« Reply #1: December 12, 2016, 11:27:59 AM »
Heisy
Robinson
Difo
Taylor
Lobaton/Norris

Lobaton probably gets the majority of the starts. He's kind of abetter hitter against RHP and he is a much better defensive catcher.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #2: December 12, 2016, 11:29:43 AM »
I don't know, I feel like Difo deserves a shot at 300+ PA at this point. See if you have something - otherwise make a trade at the deadline for someone to help down the stretch and in the playoffs.

Online Slateman

« Reply #3: December 12, 2016, 11:41:58 AM »
I don't know, I feel like Difo deserves a shot at 300+ PA at this point. See if you have something - otherwise make a trade at the deadline for someone to help down the stretch and in the playoffs.
But there is no where to play him. We're not benching Zimmerman just so Difo can maybe turn in to something. I have no doubt that Zim will end up on the DL anyway

Offline whytev

« Reply #4: December 12, 2016, 11:43:51 AM »
But there is no where to play him. We're not benching Zimmerman just so Difo can maybe turn in to something. I have no doubt that Zim will end up on the DL anyway

This is my concern. Zimmerman goes down, Difo plays 2nd, Murphy plays 1st, and who is the next backup IF up? There is nobody.

Online Slateman

« Reply #5: December 12, 2016, 11:47:59 AM »
This is my concern. Zimmerman goes down, Difo plays 2nd, Murphy plays 1st, and who is the next backup IF up? There is nobody.
Osvaldo Abreu?

Robinson most likely. Play him at first and shuffle accordingly.

Offline whytev

« Reply #6: December 12, 2016, 11:59:06 AM »
Osvaldo Abreu?

Then Difo really isn't getting his 300 PAs.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #7: December 12, 2016, 12:15:19 PM »
Are we assuming that we aren't signing Stephen Drew? I didn't think we were out on him.

Online Slateman

« Reply #8: December 12, 2016, 12:18:14 PM »
Then Difo really isn't getting his 300 PAs.

That's fine. Or not. I don't know, but he's depth at this point. I mean, unless you have two injuries to the infield.

Are we assuming that we aren't signing Stephen Drew? I didn't think we were out on him.
He will want to start and get paid starter money.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #9: December 12, 2016, 12:20:26 PM »

The Angels took Danny for 1 year over Drew.  I think that should tell Drew where his value as an everyday player with starter money is...

Online Slateman

« Reply #10: December 12, 2016, 12:21:23 PM »
The Angels took Danny for 1 year over Drew.  I think that should tell Drew where his value as an everyday player with starter money is...
A team will sign him to start. Then they'll look to deal him at the deadline to a team that needs a second/third baseman

Offline whytev

« Reply #11: December 12, 2016, 05:05:39 PM »
That's fine. Or not. I don't know, but he's depth at this point. I mean, unless you have two injuries to the infield.

I just remember 2015 when we were down Rendon and Escobar at the same time.

Online Slateman

« Reply #12: December 12, 2016, 05:07:58 PM »
I just remember 2015 when we were down Rendon and Escobar at the same time.

Robinson and Difo

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #13: December 13, 2016, 11:59:36 PM »
Since we have some money now. I would sign Gregor Blanco.

Offline Bloo

« Reply #14: December 14, 2016, 12:18:08 AM »
Heisey
Brandon Moss
Wilmer Difo
Goodwin
Lobaton

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #15: December 14, 2016, 07:31:13 AM »
I still hope we sign Drew.  We closed the door to him in LA with the Espinosa trade. I'm not sure where else he might be able to get a starting gig.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #16: December 14, 2016, 07:32:04 AM »
Osvaldo Abreu?

Abreu is at least another year away.

Online Slateman

« Reply #17: December 14, 2016, 08:04:04 AM »

So were Goodwin and Difo? Honestly, he'd be the guy you call up if you have more than two injuries to the infield.

When Zim goes down, you can play Robinson at first, and then use Difo at third when Rendon goes down.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #18: December 14, 2016, 08:34:54 AM »
At this point, I do not expect a bench upgrade unless a player is out of work in February. 

Robinson, Lobaton, and Heisey are locks.  Lobaton and Heisey are on guaranteed contracts.  Robinson is pre-arb and out of options.  I agree with Bloo that Moss would be enough of an upgrade that I might think of releasing Robinson, but I suspect there are money concerns. 

Drew would allow the team to keep Difo in the minors and playing full time, but I don't think the team has another $5MM it is willing to pay for a bench guy.  I suppose Drew would be the alternative to Moss and Robinson, too.  Perhaps Drew would take a Nats/Boras deferral if the team signed him to multiple years.  Goodwin is a better complement to Heisey than Taylor due to handedness.  We can hope a year of playing regularly in AAA helps Taylor.

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #19: December 14, 2016, 10:02:51 AM »

If that. Not sure why they wanted to add him to the 40 man, really. Read Elvir's opinion on him. Quality report.

Offline whytev

« Reply #20: December 14, 2016, 11:46:20 AM »
I still hope we sign Drew.  We closed the door to him in LA with the Espinosa trade. I'm not sure where else he might be able to get a starting gig.

Other L.A.

Offline whytev

« Reply #21: December 14, 2016, 11:49:07 AM »
At this point, I do not expect a bench upgrade unless a player is out of work in February. 

Robinson, Lobaton, and Heisey are locks.  Lobaton and Heisey are on guaranteed contracts.  Robinson is pre-arb and out of options.  I agree with Bloo that Moss would be enough of an upgrade that I might think of releasing Robinson, but I suspect there are money concerns. 

Drew would allow the team to keep Difo in the minors and playing full time, but I don't think the team has another $5MM it is willing to pay for a bench guy.  I suppose Drew would be the alternative to Moss and Robinson, too.  Perhaps Drew would take a Nats/Boras deferral if the team signed him to multiple years.  Goodwin is a better complement to Heisey than Taylor due to handedness.  We can hope a year of playing regularly in AAA helps Taylor.

I think it depends on the closer. We freed up a lot of money, and then we failed at spending it. Sign a cheaper guy and trade for Colome and suddenly there is money for Drew or a similar candidate.

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #22: December 14, 2016, 02:31:42 PM »
Arizona

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #24: December 14, 2016, 02:48:59 PM »
If that. Not sure why they wanted to add him to the 40 man, really. Read Elvir's opinion on him. Quality report.

He didn't hit much in the AFL, either.  He's got an important season ahead of him, but I'd expect that season to be in AA.  He's also not exactly Andrelton Simmons with the glove, either.