Author Topic: Winter Reading List  (Read 252 times)

Offline welch

• 2018: The Fight for .500
Winter Reading List
« Topic Start: December 11, 2016, 10:27:21 AM »
Here's mine:

- "Pennant Race", by Jim Brosnan. Journal of the 1961 season by Cincinnati Reds relief pitcher. The real day-to-day of a season -- not "as told to". If you are my age, you had the baseball cards of all these players. If you (ahem!) grew up in Pittsburgh, you saw the NL race close up. Names like "Skinner" and "Virdon" and "Hoak" and "Friend" mean something. Also nifty for its account of good ballplayers who became legends: Willie Mays running to first on a close play, Orlando Cepeda homering, the Braves are sunk -- no catcher -- because Del Crandall can't throw, watch out for Aaron and Ad****, Frank Robinson ("Robby") hits and hits.

- "The Long Season", Jim Brosnan. Shameful that it has taken so long to get this book, Brosnan's account of the 1959 season.

- "Snake Jazz" by Dave Baldwin. Senators' relief pitcher in the late '60s...also an artist, also a PhD in genetics and an MS in systems engineering. A sample from the 1969 season, the first that Ted Williams managed in Washington and the last Washington team to finish above .500 until 2012.

How often did Manager Williams think, "Maybe I'll just take a few cuts"? Once, near the end of batting practice, he couldn't stand it any longer. He suddenly pick up an unattended bat, shouted "Let's see what you've got" to the pitcher (one of the coaches, probably Wayne Terwilliger or Nellie Fox) and stepped into the cage. Everyone in the park was transfixed as Ted hit nine or ten drives against the right field wall in as many pitches. He made perfect contact on every pitch although he was fifty, considerably hefty, and hadn't swung a bat in a game in nine years. He batted 1.000 that day, and that was the last time I ever saw him hit. (p.274-5)

- "Ty Cobb: A terrible Beauty", by Charles Leerhsen. THE book about Cobb, the book that squashes all the ugly myths, the fraudulent fake stories about Ty Cobb. A tough player, but one who, as his friend Walter Johnson said, never picked a fight. The real Ty Cobb, who supported the integration of MLB. The real Ty Cobb, who out-thought opponents, who did what no-one expected, and when...something like modernist art, Leerhsen thinks.

- "Anatomy of Fascism", by Robert O. Paxton. The best summary of that not-yet-dead phenomenon, written by a Columbia professor who is an expert on Vichy France.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
Re: Winter Reading List
« Reply #1: December 12, 2016, 05:04:09 PM »
"The Rebel League" by Ed Willes - the short and unruly life of the World Hockey Association.