Author Topic: Danny Espinosa traded to the Angels for two minor league pitchers  (Read 13763 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Espinosa reminds me of Don Lock, CF for the mid-60s Senators. Fine fielder, covered large space in DC Stadium. Hit about 25 homers per year. "If only..." we thought, especially when the Nats got Frank Howard and Ken McMullen. However, Lock used to strike out at the same rate that Espinosa does. Senators finally gave up. Traded Lock for Darold Knowles, a pretty good relief pitcher.

Here's hoping. (Plenty of us who were teenagers in the '60s remember Lock's fielding and his power. If only...)

Don Lock's Baseball Ref stats:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/lockdo01.shtml
nice call, Welch.  I remember Don Lock only from his card in some sort of 60s baseball game you played with a spinner.  his whole card was HRs and Ks, but I thought he walked a bit.

Offline whytev

he shoulda went to Natsfest instead of being a little nag about it.

If I was about to lose my job and knew it, and had a little baby at home, I'm not sure I'd want to fly across the country.

Offline Ray D

Don Lock.  I remember (at least I think I remember) when we traded for him,  in July of '62.  He hit a homerun his first Senators game and won. I may be dreaming all this up but that's what I remember, and it spoiled me forever with regard to Don Lock. I was never able to look at him dispassionately after that.

Offline whytev

Don Lock.  I remember (at least I think I remember) when we traded for him,  in July of '62.  He hit a homerun his first Senators game and won. I may be dreaming all this up but that's what I remember, and it spoiled me forever with regard to Don Lock. I was never able to look at him dispassionately after that.

Michael A. Taylor hit a home run in his first game too. Things can go a lot of directions from there.

Offline Ray D

Michael A. Taylor hit a home run in his first game too. Things can go a lot of directions from there.
But I'm not a little kid anymore.  I'm sure though that there are alot of little kids for whom Taylor is a hero because of that and the'll never see him for the strikeout machine he is.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!

Offline GuyFromCO

What a beautiful day. Enjoy home, Danny!

Offline GuyFromCO

Guys......... Danny is gone!

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
Guys......... Danny is gone!

It's a beautiful thing!

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball

That seems right. Lock was the young CF who couldn't quite dislodge Mickey Mantle. All of us (experts at 13 or 14) KNEW that anybody from the Yankee organization was better than anybody on the Senators, except for Chuck Hinton. Lock had power and speed.

First time I saw Lock at DC Stadium, my dad pointed to Lock's fielding. "We haven't had a CF like that since Jim Busby or George Case", he said.

Offline Natsinpwc

Pujols will be out for a while so they needed someone to pick up the slack. 😂

It's unlikely he will get hit by as many pitches next year so that OBP could really plummet.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
Pujols will be out for a while so they needed someone to pick up the slack. 😂

It's unlikely he will get hit by as many pitches next year so that OBP could really plummet.

Dunno...he can DH when he isn't in the field...

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
This club is going to collapse from a lack of grit.

It's a beautiful thing!

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

I like the idea of giving some young guys a chance as bench players early.  If they succeed, you filled holes cheaply.  If they fail, you can always improve a bench at the deadline.

I like Difo replacing Espi as the utility IF unless we can somehow get Drew.  I like Goodwin being the 4th OF replacing what Revere would've been had he returned.  Those are 2 guys who have been top prospects in our system for a long time and now I'd like to get a real look at them.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

I like the idea of giving some young guys a chance as bench players early.  If they succeed, you filled holes cheaply.  If they fail, you can always improve a bench at the deadline.

I like Difo replacing Espi as the utility IF unless we can somehow get Drew.  I like Goodwin being the 4th OF replacing what Revere would've been had he returned.  Those are 2 guys who have been top prospects in our system for a long time and now I'd like to get a real look at them.

It's now or never for both of them.  Difo's going to be 25 and in his third year hovering on the edge of the MLB roster.  Goodwin just turned 26.  Time to fish or cut bait, crap or get off the can, or any other cliche about the end of patience.

Offline whytev

It's now or never for both of them.  Difo's going to be 25 and in his third year hovering on the edge of the MLB roster.  Goodwin just turned 26.  Time to fish or cut bait, crap or get off the can, or any other cliche about the end of patience.

Goodwin better beat out Taylor this year.

Offline HattoriHanzo

• expos/Nats fan since 1980
With Espy gone, who will Ladson, FP, and Boswell give reach arounds to?

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Goodwin better beat out Taylor this year.
Don't count on it. And I wouldn't want it.

There's a chance, a small one, but still a chance, that Goodwin turns in to a capable starter. Particularly in CF where his bat won't be expected to play much. Taylor is 4/5th OFer material. But if you leave Goodwin in Triple A and let him hit, he gets more reps and gets more chances to improve. Also, Goodwin is a guy you want to call up and give a starting job to when Werth/Harper go to the DL

Online aspenbubba

Re-sign Drew and Revere

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

Offline wj73

My 87 year old mother-in-law is a rabid Angels fan.  We called her this weekend to thank her for this trade.

I think we're out of the will. 

Offline whytev

Don't count on it. And I wouldn't want it.

There's a chance, a small one, but still a chance, that Goodwin turns in to a capable starter. Particularly in CF where his bat won't be expected to play much. Taylor is 4/5th OFer material. But if you leave Goodwin in Triple A and let him hit, he gets more reps and gets more chances to improve. Also, Goodwin is a guy you want to call up and give a starting job to when Werth/Harper go to the DL

In a way, Goodwin seems like more of a 4th/5th. He has a nice swing, makes contact, doesn't try to do too much. All the clichés they use about Heisey.

Taylor is like Espinosa. Strikes out a lot, and even more without regular playing time.

I would rather see Taylor play every day (and keep stats on his chasing strikes) and see what he can learn. Goodwin may have already achieved his calling as he showed very well last year.

Offline whytev

My 87 year old mother-in-law is a rabid Angels fan.  We called her this weekend to thank her for this trade.

I think we're out of the will.

If she lives another year, she'll try to leave you Espinosa.

Offline whytev

In a way, Goodwin seems like more of a 4th/5th. He has a nice swing, makes contact, doesn't try to do too much. All the clichés they use about Heisey.

Taylor is like Espinosa. Strikes out a lot, and even more without regular playing time.

I would rather see Taylor play every day (and keep stats on his chasing strikes) and see what he can learn. Goodwin may have already achieved his calling as he showed very well last year.

Started bench thread. http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=34728.msg1804145#msg1804145

Offline Mighty Casey

The Nats' team BA just went up 20 points!