Author Topic: Jerome Williams makes Rehab start; Will start Tuesday against the Braves  (Read 1038 times)

Offline sportsfan882

6 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 1 R, 2 BB, 5 K, 1 HR (ND, 0-0) against the Buffalo Bisons. 

Another note: Infielder Josh Wilson was claimed off waivers by the Devil Rays on Thursday, two days after he was designated for assignment by the Nationals. Wilson went 1-for-19 and made five errors in 15 games with Washington this season.

Edit:
Nationals RHP Jerome Williams allowed just one run over six innings in a rehab start Thursday for Triple-A Columbus. Williams, on the 15-day disabled list since April 29 with a sprained left ankle, will be activated in time to start Tuesday against the Braves. The right-hander was 0-4 with a 6.11 ERA before getting hurt, but he was encouraged by his last start (six shutout innings) in the majors. He'll take the rotation spot that became open when RHP John Patterson went on the DL with soreness in his right elbow and biceps.

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
Re: Jerome Williams makes Rehab start
« Reply #1: May 10, 2007, 10:44:56 PM »
The D-Rays love our leftovers. They snatched B-Harris too, and he's been doing pretty well in Tampa.

Anyways, J-Dub looks like he should be back soon. I went to the Clippers game in Buffalo on Tuesday night, Clips won. D-LO hit a jack, i was like WHY THE F couldn't you do that for us.

Offline KyleScha

« Reply #2: May 11, 2007, 04:12:35 AM »
I can't believe Buffalo's team is named the Bisons :doh:

« Reply #3: May 11, 2007, 10:12:59 AM »
Josh Wilson is no big loss.  He and Harris go from a reorganizing cellar team with growth potential to another cellar team that will probably be in competition with the Baltimore Orioles for fourth in their division for years to come due to the heavy competition of the AL East and the monstrously ridiculous payrolls the other teams in the division have.

I'm not crying over spilled milk because the cat licked it up.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #4: May 11, 2007, 10:40:06 AM »
Josh Wilson is no big loss....I'm not crying over spilled milk because the cat licked it up.

Josh Wilson was likely obtained to provide backup for when Brendan Harris starts to stink, since he replaced someone else who stank too much. 

Imagine if the Washington Senators were never owned by the people who moved them.  When divisions were created, they would have likely been assigned to the American League East.  Maybe Toronto would have been a National League team, which might have benefited Montreal.  The Senators highest hopes each season might have been to get to 3rd place in the division.  A .500 record in the National League creates a good shot at a Wild Card berth.

"I get the spills."  "NO, I DO!"  "MEOWW!"  "MEEEOWW!"

« Reply #5: May 11, 2007, 11:49:02 AM »
Josh Wilson was likely obtained to provide backup for when Brendan Harris starts to stink, since he replaced someone else who stank too much. 

Imagine if the Washington Senators were never owned by the people who moved them.  When divisions were created, they would have likely been assigned to the American League East.  Maybe Toronto would have been a National League team, which might have benefited Montreal.  The Senators highest hopes each season might have been to get to 3rd place in the division.  A .500 record in the National League creates a good shot at a Wild Card berth.

(Image removed from quote.)
"I get the spills."  "NO, I DO!"  "MEOWW!"  "MEEEOWW!"

We aren't in the AL East, fate, luck, Jesus, put us in the NL East and that is all I am concerned about.  They can have Wilson, I would of given them Wilson for an extra bucket of sun flower seeds for the team.  I never grew that attached to Harris as many here did, especially for his one "miracle catch" that is constantly brought up.  He was a decent ballplayer but no one to get excited about.  Its not like Harris is going to come back to haunt us considering we only play the D-Rays in interleague play.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #6: May 11, 2007, 12:05:33 PM »
We aren't in the AL East, fate, luck, Jesus, put us in the NL East and that is all I am concerned about.  They can have Wilson, I would of given them Wilson for an extra bucket of sun flower seeds for the team.  I never grew that attached to Harris as many here did, especially for his one "miracle catch" that is constantly brought up.  He was a decent ballplayer but no one to get excited about.  Its not like Harris is going to come back to haunt us considering we only play the D-Rays in interleague play.

Yeah I'm not so sure what made that catch so 'miraculous'. It was a nice play at the end of a game but it has been overly hyped as a game saving miracle. 

Offline heatchucker

Harris would be a great player on this Nationals team...a guy who can fill in at many positions all INF     He is an Acta type player...a very gritty player and early riser who is at the field early and always ready for action. He never got a sustained chance in the bigs...but he could have been our go to guy off the bench and in a PH role as well

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
Yeah I'm not so sure what made that catch so 'miraculous'. It was a nice play at the end of a game but it has been overly hyped as a game saving miracle. 

It was a game-saving catch, but was only one catch. There was certainly no reason to get attached over that one play, I agree. However, many of us watched him play in ST and the minors, and it was his solid defense, versatility, and his very good minor-league numbers that got our attention. Numbers like that typically do translate into decent numbers in the bigs - certainly for a second baseman. I would have had no problem with him at 2B during a year like this one, especially. (I feel the same way about Carroll, and I think Harris is actually better all around.)

I am glad he is getting a shot, and am not surprised he is doing well. But he was part of a great trade, and no historic loss by any means.

Offline PC

I'll bet Josh Wilson is better in Tampa Bay then he was here because he's out of our "curse".

Expect his first outing to be something like Snelling's was in Oakland.

As far as Jerome Williams goes, there was nothing "wrong" with his arm, so when he comes back on Tuesday, I'm not that optimistic.  We'll probably get the same Jerome Williams we had before. :?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Speaking of Snelling, I read that he "tweaked" his knee in Oakland, is going to sit for a few games.  I tend to think Snelling has considerably more upside offensively than Langerhans, but Ryan is likely to be much more durable, which is not unimportant.

Offline sportsfan882

I'll bet Josh Wilson is better in Tampa Bay then he was here because he's out of our "curse".

Expect his first outing to be something like Snelling's was in Oakland.

As far as Jerome Williams goes, there was nothing "wrong" with his arm, so when he comes back on Tuesday, I'm not that optimistic.  We'll probably get the same Jerome Williams we had before. :?
He was pretty bad overall but his last start before he got hurt was magnificent (6 IP, 1 H, 0 ER against the Mets).           

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Jerome pitched well in AAA too, so we can be hopeful that he'll be solid.

I still believe this rotation has some upside in it, especially as some of the DL guys start getting ready.

Offline Rojo Johnson

• formerly Southeast Jerome
  • nages leave
I can't believe Buffalo's team is named the Bisons :doh:

Yeah, they actually go back further than the Bills...  They're real original there in BUffalo in naming their sports teams.  I'm still waiting for a team to be named "The Buffalo Herd" or something like that.