Indians in 5
1 (7.1%)
Indians in 6
5 (35.7%)
Indians in 7
2 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: October 26, 2016, 10:44:31 AM

Author Topic: World Series: Cubs vs Indians  (Read 38008 times)

Offline RobDibblesGhost

World Series: Cubs vs Indians
« Topic Start: October 25, 2016, 10:44:31 AM »
This should be a good series and I'm happy that the Giants aren't in it. I'm still disappointed in the Nats but it's time to move on. I certainly never expected the Indians to make it this far but they've had a stellar postseason and I think they'll give the Cubs a run for their money.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: World Series: Cubs vs Indians
« Reply #1: October 25, 2016, 10:53:28 AM »
Indians in 6.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #2: October 25, 2016, 11:08:41 AM »
I'll hedge my bets and say Cubs in 6 since they're technically the superior team.  Hopefully the Tribe pull off the upset.

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #3: October 25, 2016, 11:09:50 AM »
Indians in 6.

Cheering for my childhood team with the awkward name (Larry Doby was my favorite player), but figure the Cubs are more talented. They could play in either league with their line-up.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #4: October 25, 2016, 11:12:27 AM »
Cheering for my childhood team with the awkward name (Larry Doby was my favorite player), but figure the Cubs are more talented. They could play in either league with their line-up.

Now you're talkin'.    Doby, Rosen, Score, Feller   ...   Learned to keep score watchin' 'em with my dad.

*Have I mentioned Francona is a W. PA boy?     :P

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #5: October 25, 2016, 11:39:59 AM »
Cubs in 6.  I'd like a game 7 though...cardiac units all around the great lakes would be at capacity.

Offline blue911

« Reply #6: October 25, 2016, 12:04:59 PM »
Now you're talkin'.    Doby, Rosen, Score, Feller   ...   Learned to keep score watchin' 'em with my dad.

Rocky Colavito. He should throw out the first pitch.

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #7: October 25, 2016, 12:37:25 PM »

Watchin' them? No TV in 1948 when they last won WS, so it was radio from across the lake for me, as I flipped a jack-knife on our back porch steps, playing "baseball" while listening. We got tv in 1955, but could only get Buffalo and Canadian stations. You must have pulled in Cleveland or Erie, right? Got to see a game at Municipal Stadium when Feller was pitching. That was around 1952. Luke Easter swung four bats in one hand warming up in the batting circle.  :old:  :)

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #8: October 25, 2016, 12:47:10 PM »
Y'all are old :old: lol

I'll go Cubbies in 5 but won't be sad if the Indians take it :mg:

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #9: October 25, 2016, 01:00:26 PM »
Y'all are old :old: lol

I'll go Cubbies in 5 but won't be sad if the Indians take it :mg:

I was about to say. :lol: I can't believe Mitlen remembers Bob Feller. :shock:

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #10: October 25, 2016, 01:01:07 PM »
Heart says cubs, head says Indians in 6.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #11: October 25, 2016, 01:59:22 PM »
Jason Kipnis busted his ankle in the victory celebration the other night, it's a wonder to me more guys don't get hurt jumping on each other the way they do :smh:  It looks pretty gruesome.

http://deadspin.com/dude-jason-kipnis-are-you-sure-you-can-play-on-your-s-1788194615

Offline blue911

« Reply #12: October 25, 2016, 02:00:35 PM »

Considering he can't remember what he had for breakfast

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #13: October 25, 2016, 02:01:06 PM »

:crackup:

• babble on
« Reply #14: October 25, 2016, 02:02:08 PM »
Can anyone?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #15: October 25, 2016, 04:11:18 PM »

He lasted into the mid-1950s.

Offline mitlen

Offline mitlen

« Reply #17: October 25, 2016, 04:13:17 PM »
Rocky Colavito. He should throw out the first pitch.

From the CF wall.    Probably still launch it into the stands behind home.    :)

Offline mitlen

« Reply #18: October 25, 2016, 04:17:05 PM »
Watchin' them? No TV in 1948 when they last won WS, so it was radio from across the lake for me, as I flipped a jack-knife on our back porch steps, playing "baseball" while listening. We got tv in 1955, but could only get Buffalo and Canadian stations. You must have pulled in Cleveland or Erie, right? Got to see a game at Municipal Stadium when Feller was pitching. That was around 1952. Luke Easter swung four bats in one hand warming up in the batting circle.  :old:  :)

My TV watchin' of Cleveland probably began in the early 50s.    I was raised west of Pittsburgh.    Land sloped away toward NE Ohio (Lake Erie) from the Ohio Valley.    The housing we lived in was on the Cleveland side of the hills.    Dad was an Ohio boy so I'm sure that's another reason we watched Cleveland.    Pops used to pick up (IIRC) Cleveland but he may have watched 'em out of a Youngstown station.    It was my job to go outside and adjust the antenna.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #19: October 25, 2016, 05:00:09 PM »
If the Indians has their full rotation, I'd be tempted to pick them. Even then, though, the Cubs should roll through this. They won't sweep, but I think they'll win in five or 6.

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #20: October 25, 2016, 05:05:20 PM »
My TV watchin' of Cleveland probably began in the early 50s.    I was raised west of Pittsburgh.    Land sloped away toward NE Ohio (Lake Erie) from the Ohio Valley.    The housing we lived in was on the Cleveland side of the hills.    Dad was an Ohio boy so I'm sure that's another reason we watched Cleveland.    Pops used to pick up (IIRC) Cleveland but he may have watched 'em out of a Youngstown station.    It was my job to go outside and adjust the antenna.

No rotor?  We just had something called rabbit ears at first, then that antenna on the roof with a rotor that turned it towards the tv stations. Early technology. Lots of snowy screens but if - say Erie - came in on a clear night, you felt blessed. No color of course.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #21: October 25, 2016, 05:12:42 PM »
No rotor?  We just had something called rabbit ears at first, then that antenna on the roof with a rotor that turned it towards the tv stations. Early technology. Lots of snowy screens but if - say Erie - came in on a clear night, you felt blessed. No color of course.

mitlen watched in tintype...

Offline mitlen

« Reply #22: October 25, 2016, 05:33:13 PM »

Rotor   :hysterical:   Yeah.    Me.    :)    My dad was a steelworker and watched his dimes.   Only management types had a rotor.    A rotor was a luxury when you had a young son who could go out in any weather and get the antenna just right.   I swear, I nailed every channel.    The antenna was hoisted on a pipe next to the detached garage.   In the winter, I had to start a fire to unfreeze the pipe.   Took the monkey wrench out to turn the pipe.   Of course that was after the housing projects*.    Not sure what pops did before the garage.     Color TV?   My dad thought it was a fad.    :)

*We didn't call 'em projects back then.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #23: October 25, 2016, 07:08:44 PM »

Cubs are making a huge mistake...Schwarber will need at least 100 AB's before he's back in form...

• babble on
« Reply #24: October 25, 2016, 07:17:02 PM »
Here folks who had TVs just put foil balls on the rabbit ears on the set.  I remember Brian Williams reporting live from Antietam.   
Rotor   :hysterical:   Yeah.    Me.    :)    My dad was a steelworker and watched his dimes.   Only management types had a rotor.    A rotor was a luxury when you had a young son who could go out in any weather and get the antenna just right.   I swear, I nailed every channel.    The antenna was hoisted on a pipe next to the detached garage.   In the winter, I had to start a fire to unfreeze the pipe.   Took the monkey wrench out to turn the pipe.   Of course that was after the housing projects*.    Not sure what pops did before the garage.     Color TV?   My dad thought it was a fad.    :)

*We didn't call 'em projects back then.