Indians in 5
1 (7.1%)
Indians in 6
5 (35.7%)
Indians in 7
2 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: October 26, 2016, 10:44:31 AM

Author Topic: World Series: Cubs vs Indians  (Read 37192 times)

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
Re: World Series: Cubs vs Indians
« Reply #950: November 03, 2016, 12:31:50 PM »
My FB feed was full of comments from friends that I never thought cared about baseball.

Same here. This morning people keep sharing this one post one of my daughter's friends wrote basically saying "we watched because we all know someone who knows someone who knows Addison and when you're from a tiny town that's reason enough" but how by last night they weren't just Addison fans they were baseball fans, had me bawling when I read it but I'm a big sap :lol:

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #951: November 03, 2016, 01:21:59 PM »
Cubs spent less than the Nationals. And 10 other teams . . .

Has nothing to do with having unlimited resources.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX

Offline Optics

« Reply #953: November 03, 2016, 02:09:36 PM »
Good for the Cubs and their real fans but I couldn't care less.

We're the biggest losers now.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #954: November 03, 2016, 02:43:25 PM »
A lot of the discussion today is centered around "was this the best game 7 ever?"  IMHO it's not even close to the 2001 WS between Arizona and the NYY, which is still the greatest WS ever given the context of the Yankees playing post-9/11, the walk-offs, and the Johnson/Schilling tandem.

Some others that might have been better:
- 2014 with baumgarner in 5 innings of relief on 2 days rest
- 1991 - Twins beat Atlanta 1-0 in 10 with Morris pitching 10 scoreless innings
- 1960 - shot heard around the world

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #955: November 03, 2016, 02:45:54 PM »
I'd but it above all of those, honestly. 2001 would have topped it if the Yankees had won.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #956: November 03, 2016, 03:21:15 PM »
I'd but it above all of those, honestly. 2001 would have topped it if the Yankees had won.
I see your point about 9/11, but it's the Yankees...if it had been the Mets in there, that would be different.

Yes, I am that petty about the Yankees.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #957: November 03, 2016, 03:21:46 PM »
40 million people watched, most for any baseball game since 1991 Game 7 (Jack Morris)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #958: November 03, 2016, 04:13:42 PM »
40 million people watched, most for any baseball game since 1991 Game 7 (Jack Morris)

And tomorrow half of them will go back to calling it "sportsball".

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #959: November 03, 2016, 04:16:07 PM »
This is how you develop new sportsball fans that come spend absurd money at your park while tweeting and taking selfies...

And tomorrow half of them will go back to calling it "sportsball".

Offline The Chief

« Reply #960: November 03, 2016, 04:20:03 PM »
I'm not so sure.  I think the Cubs had that long-suffering thing going for them, and now it's gone.  Will they draw if they repeat over the next few years?  Of course.  But no chance they get anywhere close to reproducing the magic and ratings that this once-in-a-lifetime event did.  Any new fans are good for MLB, but I'd be shocked if they converted more than a tiny fraction of this into long-term fans.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #961: November 03, 2016, 04:21:00 PM »
Or maybe some actually found it to be fun and entertaining and will follow baseball from now on? :shrug:  sometimes it takes something like this to make people realize what a great game it is. 

Offline The Chief

« Reply #962: November 03, 2016, 04:28:10 PM »
I don't think we're in disagreement.  Big events draw big crowds.  Some of them might become baseball fans, but most will go back to whatever they were doing before.  Any above-normal exposure is great for the game, but you can't rely on centennial events to grow your brand ;)

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #963: November 03, 2016, 04:38:34 PM »
I'm not so sure.  I think the Cubs had that long-suffering thing going for them, and now it's gone.  Will they draw if they repeat over the next few years?  Of course.  But no chance they get anywhere close to reproducing the magic and ratings that this once-in-a-lifetime event did.  Any new fans are good for MLB, but I'd be shocked if they converted more than a tiny fraction of this into long-term fans.

A legion of pink and green Red Sox hats suggests that the long-suffering thing is amply replaced by bandwagonning.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #964: November 03, 2016, 04:55:42 PM »
A legion of pink and green Red Sox hats suggests that the long-suffering thing is amply replaced by bandwagonning.

They were already a popular big-market team.  I'm not suggesting their fanbase is going to dry up because they broke the curse, but I think anyone expecting explosive growth may be surprised.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #965: November 03, 2016, 04:59:05 PM »
They were already a popular big-market team.  I'm not suggesting their fanbase is going to dry up because they broke the curse, but I think anyone expecting explosive growth may be surprised.

Ah, gotcha.  Yeah, I pretty much agree with that.  There will be some growth, but explosive is probably too strong a word.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #966: November 03, 2016, 05:12:22 PM »

You know, some people realized how much flppin' fun baseball is by getting sucked in in 2003 or 2004, I really hate the dismissive "pink hat bandwaggoner" like those people don't count because they didn't start watching baseball from birth.  People who became fans later in life are still fan, at least IMO. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #967: November 03, 2016, 05:13:32 PM »
you can't rely on centennial events to grow your brand ;)
coming from a dino in a trash can, I thought your definition of infrequent was once every Pleistoncene era.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #968: November 03, 2016, 05:39:09 PM »
You know, some people realized how much flppin' fun baseball is by getting sucked in in 2003 or 2004, I really hate the dismissive "pink hat bandwaggoner" like those people don't count because they didn't start watching baseball from birth.  People who became fans later in life are still fan, at least IMO.

Didn't say they weren't.  In fact, my point was that they do stick around and they do count, but that it fundamentally changes the nature of the fanbase.  It doesn't mean they're not fans, even if their context for what their fandom really represents is more limited and their sartorial choices are nontraditional.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #969: November 03, 2016, 06:01:59 PM »
Didn't say they weren't.  In fact, my point was that they do stick around and they do count, but that it fundamentally changes the nature of the fanbase.  It doesn't mean they're not fans, even if their context for what their fandom really represents is more limited and their sartorial choices are nontraditional.
gotcha :thumbs:

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #970: November 03, 2016, 06:27:13 PM »
Or maybe some actually found it to be fun and entertaining and will follow baseball from now on? :shrug:  sometimes it takes something like this to make people realize what a great game it is. 

:lmao:

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #971: November 04, 2016, 09:24:28 AM »
Hey, lay off of gramma's hat, you

Offline dracnal

« Reply #972: November 04, 2016, 10:25:02 AM »

FWIW, Skippy, from a friend living in Boston, the reason he was annoyed by the bandwagon fans was because it meant his daily commute during the season was suddenly much more people filled and a huge chunk of them were very, very drunk. When he went to the games, it was much the same thing - sort of like the 'fun' days of 2009 when the Phillies would come to Nats Park. He's never minded anyone who actually is a fan and pays attention to the team; he just doesn't like the folks who think 'Hey, new place to get drunk!'

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #973: November 04, 2016, 10:27:59 AM »
I can think of better places to go for a pissup than a MLB park  :money:

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #974: November 04, 2016, 11:23:44 AM »

I agree, but I also think it was really good for baseball to dominate the conversation for the last week. People were crazy about this postseason and World Series. MLB took advantage of the NFL struggling (even though it's undisputed top dog), and I think it was important for baseball to be able to say "We can be just as enthralling" after the last few meh-worthy World Series.