Author Topic: DC Rising -- Washington Wizards 2016-17  (Read 46146 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.

Offline mitlen

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/05/28/john-wall-bench-was-wizards-downfall/

PTI made a good point.       Wall didn't score in the last 19 minutes of Game 7.     Just when I begin to like the guy (always thought he was a decent, though at times unpolished, player), he blames everybody but John Wall.    Even if it isn't his fault   ....   ya know   ....  it's bad form.     Take it up with Ted and Ernie.

Offline Optics

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/05/28/john-wall-bench-was-wizards-downfall/

PTI made a good point.       Wall didn't score in the last 19 minutes of Game 7.     Just when I begin to like the guy (always thought he was a decent, though at times unpolished, player), he blames everybody but John Wall.    Even if it isn't his fault   ....   ya know   ....  it's bad form.     Take it up with Ted and Ernie.

Its true he was awful down the stretch, but lets be real without Wall's brilliance this team doesn't have a puncher's chance of hell in the playofs. He was basically the 2nd, maybe 3rd best player in the entire NBA postseason.

I think he just ran out of gas late. He had to play a ton of minutes and the entire offense runs through him. He tried to play some hero ball and it failed.

What we really need is a legit backup PG. The bench has some nice players, but Jennings is just trash and completely halted our offense when the reserves came in.

Offline mitlen

Re: DC Rising -- Washington Wizards 2016-17
« Reply #954: June 01, 2017, 02:27:12 PM »
Its true he was awful down the stretch, but lets be real without Wall's brilliance this team doesn't have a puncher's chance of hell in the playofs. He was basically the 2nd, maybe 3rd best player in the entire NBA postseason.

Both things can be true.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #955: June 01, 2017, 02:36:06 PM »
Both things can be true.

If he was the second or third best player, they'd have a hit at a ring. unfortunately he isn't

Offline mitlen

« Reply #956: June 01, 2017, 02:42:59 PM »
If he was the second or third best player, they'd have a hit at a ring. unfortunately he isn't

I thought it was a stretch as well but they both can be true.    He can have a bad game and still be the reason they made it to the playoffs.    Probably should have omitted Optics' second sentence.      I could agree with the grade if the point was his importance in the Bullets gettin'  in the playoffs.       I can think of a few players I'd take over Wall overall (oh alliteration).    Several of 'em will be on tonight.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #958: July 01, 2017, 12:00:50 AM »
Feel bad for Wall. He seems like a good guy. Wish he'd get a chance to win a championship

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #959: July 01, 2017, 01:53:59 AM »
Feel bad for Wall. He seems like a good guy. Wish he'd get a chance to win a championship

He can get there. The east is easy now.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #960: July 01, 2017, 08:18:40 AM »
Wall hasn't signed anything yet. Waiting to see what the Wizards do in free agency. If he makes all NBA again next year I believe he would be eligible for a bigger and longer contract. So he could wait till next year. If they upgrade the bench some I believe he will sign now.

Wizards talked with Otto and David Falk all night but no agreement. Otto will probably get some big offers and the Wiz will have a few days to match. Which I assume they will do. So not sure why they just didn't give him what they will do in the end? Suppose taking a chance he will not receive max contract offers. 

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #961: July 01, 2017, 09:58:12 AM »
He can get there. The east is easy now.
Not without a superstar

Offline Optics

« Reply #962: July 02, 2017, 10:46:49 AM »
If we didn't blow our load on Mahimi last year we'd have the $ to go after a Heyward type.

I hate Grunfeld.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #963: July 02, 2017, 10:54:09 AM »
If we didn't blow our load on Mahimi last year we'd have the $ to go after a Heyward type.

I hate Grunfeld.

I think we blew our load on Mahimi as a preemptive excuse when guys like Heyward won't even visit- Ernie learned his lesson after Durant

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #964: July 02, 2017, 02:41:53 PM »
I think we blew our load on Mahimi as a preemptive excuse when guys like Heyward won't even visit- Ernie learned his lesson after Durant
Also remember that they lost out on Horford last summer also.

Mahinmi makes 16 million. Hayward will get like 30 million. In any event they are going to give Otto like 25 million so somehow they have money for that. And they just offered Wall a boatload. So I don't see how the Mahinmi contract impacts getting it not getting Hayward.

The only big name they have a chance at is Cousins. And only because he is Wall's buddy. And Cousins has baggage.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #965: July 02, 2017, 02:47:24 PM »
Also remember that they lost out on Horford last summer also.

Mahinmi makes 16 million. Hayward will get like 30 million. In any event they are going to give Otto like 25 million so somehow they have money for that. And they just offered Wall a boatload. So I don't see how the Mahinmi contract impacts getting it not getting Hayward.

The only big name they have a chance at is Cousins. And only because he is Wall's buddy. And Cousins has baggage.

You can sign your own in the NBA with less restrictions than free agents. They look like extending porter will put them into luxury tax space, so no free agents

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #966: July 08, 2017, 04:15:00 PM »
Wrong way McGee has a ring, and now this guy is going to get one http://deadspin.com/nick-young-on-passing-thats-the-point-guards-job-1796744038

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #967: July 08, 2017, 10:25:51 PM »
You can sign your own in the NBA with less restrictions than free agents. They look like extending porter will put them into luxury tax space, so no free agents
Money coming off the books next year.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #968: July 10, 2017, 09:21:33 AM »
Wrong way McGee has a ring, and now this guy is going to get one http://deadspin.com/nick-young-on-passing-thats-the-point-guards-job-1796744038

In 1980 the Bullets used their first-round pick on Wes Matthews, a guard from Wisconsin known for being incredibly quick but couldn't put the ball in the Potomac if he were leaning over Memorial Bridge - and with off-the court problems as well; in fact he had been kicked off the team just before the NIT (this was back when the NIT was more prestigious than it is today).

Still, the Bullets picked him (he became known as the cockiest rookie in Bullets' camp since Earl The Pearl Monroe)...and midway through the season traded him to Atlanta for Don Collins in a move described by the Hawks' coach as 'trading one headache for another'. He spent a couple of seasons in Atlanta, knocked round Chicago (pre-MJ) and San Antonio...and then got signed by the Lakers when their bench was a bit thin. Matthews would win two NBA Championship rings at LA for basically two seasons of bench-warming.

Sometimes sport just isn't fair.

In the meantime...how about those Brooklyn Nits and their offer sheet to Otto Porter? It's as if they took the stance 'well we'll never win 25 games, let alone an NBA title, so let's just have a bit of fun screwing up some contender's salary structure' (did they really think Porter would sign with that dumpster-fire franchise?) 

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #969: July 10, 2017, 09:37:56 AM »
They gave porter a no-trade, a trade kicker, a player option year, and a huge lump sum every year. Sacramento offered him the max, the Nets just freaked with Ernie

Offline mitlen

« Reply #970: July 10, 2017, 09:51:00 AM »
They gave porter a no-trade, a trade kicker, a player option year, and a huge lump sum every year. Sacramento offered him the max, the Nets just freaked with Ernie

The Nets and Otto's agent set Ernie up.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #971: July 10, 2017, 10:39:58 AM »
Otto now the highest paid athlete in DC. Hard to believe. They really had no choice but to match the offer if they want to stay competitive at all. All we can hope is that Otto continues to improve. Many didn't think Beal deserved a big contract but he stepped it up after signing.

They need to trade either Gortat or Mahinmi.  Both are aging. Gortat can't really play D and Mahinmi is always hurt.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #972: July 10, 2017, 10:57:18 AM »
I doubt you can trade either without taking back something equally bad- what the hell was Ernie thinking with Mahinmi? I don't feel bad about porter being the highest paid athelete, Oubre, taking the title when we match his max offer may be a little much though.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #973: July 11, 2017, 02:58:09 PM »
I doubt you can trade either without taking back something equally bad- what the hell was Ernie thinking with Mahinmi? I don't feel bad about porter being the highest paid athelete, Oubre, taking the title when we match his max offer may be a little much though.
I think you are right about Mahinmi. However Gortat is in his last contact year so probably more traceable. The Mahinmi signing wasn't the worst last summer. Nicholson and trading him cost them losing their first round pick. And only got a few months of Bojan. I think Brooks will have Mahnimi start. Expect Gortat to whine. And get traded.

Here is a good article on how the trade kicker works.

https://www.bulletsforever.com/2017/7/11/15947446/otto-porter-trade-kicker-washington-wizards-nba-free-agency

Offline mitlen

« Reply #974: July 11, 2017, 08:59:11 PM »
I think you are right about Mahinmi. However Gortat is in his last contact year so probably more traceable. The Mahinmi signing wasn't the worst last summer. Nicholson and trading him cost them losing their first round pick. And only got a few months of Bojan. I think Brooks will have Mahnimi start. Expect Gortat to whine. And get traded.

Here is a good article on how the trade kicker works.

https://www.bulletsforever.com/2017/7/11/15947446/otto-porter-trade-kicker-washington-wizards-nba-free-agency

What will I do with all the Polish internet hats they gave away on Poland night?