Author Topic: Rafael Furcal, possible SS next year?  (Read 1839 times)

Offline The Chief

• it's a thumb
    • http://www.wnff.net
Rafael Furcal, possible SS next year?
« Topic Start: August 04, 2005, 04:24:20 PM »
OK he's going to be FA after this season and I know he's going to be asking a lot (8 or 9 mil if there's any truth to what I've heard) but I'm just tossing the idea out there for fun.  He's a career ~.280 hitter, a good shortstop, and very fast (base stealer anyone?)  He'd certainly make a better leadoff guy than Wilkerson, and I'd say he's at least as good as Guzman as far as playing his position.  Also it'd be fun to get one of Atlanta's veteran players away from them, I know they're probably not going to keep him.

Like I said, just tossing out wild ideas for fun.  Opinions?

mar (AKA pasqual AKA JMG)

« Reply #1: August 04, 2005, 04:36:58 PM »
I think Bowden or new GM will quietly trade guzman at a loss (eating up to 1/2 his remaining contract) and sign a FA shortstop.

Furcal gotta be high on the list, Gonzalez from the Marlins too as I bet they let him walk cos of salary.

Interesting possibility would be Nomar. If he comes back in the next couple of weeks as planned and plays well the rest of the way (or well enough it looks like he'll be back to what he was next season) he's gonna get a lot of attention.

Guess we'll have a better idea by october.

Offline Kenz aFan

« Reply #2: August 04, 2005, 08:29:31 PM »
Garciaparra is coming off the DL tomorrow (Friday) and he'll be interesting to watch. If he can show he's back to 100% maybe, just maybe... Woul dbe sweet to have a healthy Garciaparra batting 3rd in the lineup...

BigRChurchfan

« Reply #3: August 05, 2005, 09:26:59 AM »
im starting to like Guz for next year.  If he did this slap hitting all year, we would have had nothing to complain about.  In fact, instead of always trying to hit the big fly, some of the other players could benefit from this style.  And hes SOLID on defense...

I'd be more concerned about dumping Vinny for somebody to play 1 yr while Zimm gets groomed, moving Wilky for a solid, non wiffmachine CF, and getting one more good starter on the FA market.

Offline esoteric

« Reply #4: August 05, 2005, 12:30:10 PM »
Quote from: "BigRChurchfan"
im starting to like Guz for next year.  If he did this slap hitting all year, we would have had nothing to complain about.  In fact, instead of always trying to hit the big fly, some of the other players could benefit from this style.  And hes SOLID on defense...

The problem is that GUUUZ has teased us like this before, both in May and in June (remember when he hit 2 HR in a series? Yes, that actually happened!!), before going stone cold again.  It's waaaay too premature to say he's found his stroke again.

BigRChurchfan

« Reply #5: August 05, 2005, 02:35:26 PM »
but his approach has changed, hes going deeper in the count....the times are a changin'

i feel it mah bones.

but now, my RChurch on the other hand...he needs some rest, and a trip to the minors, with the stipulation that pitchers must only throw him breaking balls.

Offline Vladman1327

« Reply #6: August 10, 2005, 12:39:31 AM »
Quote from: "BigRChurchfan"
I'd be more concerned about dumping Vinny for somebody to play 1 yr while Zimm gets groomed, moving Wilky for a solid, non wiffmachine CF, and getting one more good starter on the FA market.

We already have 6 outfielders rotating around (Wilkerson, Wilson, Sledge, Guillen, Church, Watson).  Wouldn't it make more sense to trade Wilkerson for a non-outfielder?  After this year, Wilson is gone, and, though I like Wilky very much, I think it's time that he goes elsewhere.  I like a Church, Sledge, Watson, Guillen outfield.

Offline Kenz aFan

« Reply #7: August 10, 2005, 03:36:12 PM »
Thanks for reminding people about Terrmel Sledge. With his being out till next season, and not being in the public eye, people tend to forget about him. Whoever the Gm is, I hope they have good foresight and the balls to make the deals the team needs to push forward.