Author Topic: Jose Fernandez has died in a boating accident  (Read 9478 times)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: Jose Fernandez has died in a boating accident
« Reply #125: October 31, 2016, 08:06:16 PM »
He should have been by himself brooding over Schopenhauer at that rave 
I didn't think German cyclists could get ecstatic about anything. I'm guessing that was the dead giveaway.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Just got a breaking news alert from ESPN: Fernandez was operating the boat, had a BAL of 147% of the legal limit, and traces of cocaine in his system.  WTF was he thinking?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Just got a breaking news alert from ESPN: Fernandez was operating the boat, had a BAL of 147% of the legal limit, and traces of cocaine in his system.  WTF was he thinking?

His BAL was .147 which is nearly twice the limit... not 147% over the limit... that means his blood would have been 100% alcohol and caused instant death. Working in the public safety field, the highest I've ever seen someone blow on a intoxicalizer and live was a .48 and even then they were a functioning alcoholic.

Offline dracnal

His BAL was .147 which is nearly twice the limit... not 147% over the limit... that means his blood would have been 100% alcohol and caused instant death. Working in the public safety field, the highest I've ever seen someone blow on a intoxicalizer and live was a .48 and even then they were a functioning alcoholic.

Someone lived with a .48?? That's insane. I had always heard .4 was typically where folks figure 'Yeah, you're going to die from alcohol poisoning.'

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

thanks for clarifying.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

The limit's .08, so 147% over the limit would be .08+ (.08*1.47) = .1976.  That's wasted, but not normally fatal on its own, and certainly not 100% alcohol. 

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Math was never my strong suit.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

It's 0.147%, versus 100.0%.  Another way to say it is 1/608.27 of being 100% alchohol.

Offline dracnal

It's 0.147%, versus 100.0%.  Another way to say it is 1/608.27 of being 100% alchohol.

Accepting he made a math error, Linty was correct. The BAC was .147, not 147% above the legal limit (.19ish).

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
He was messed up.

Offline GuyFromCO

He was messed up.

Cocaine's a helliva drug

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Cocaine's a helliva drug

Can be.    :)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
The families of the other two people in the boat are gonna get a PAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIID

Online Natsinpwc

The families of the other two people in the boat are gonna get a PAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIID
Yes, as well they should!

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Yes, as well they should!

Yeah, but probably not as much as they think at first.  There's a pretty legit assumption of risk defense there.

Offline houston-nat

Someone lived with a .48?? That's insane. I had always heard .4 was typically where folks figure 'Yeah, you're going to die from alcohol poisoning.'
A guy I knew in college lived through a .4 because our dorm was across the street from the hospital. He was the first guy in my class to die (age 22), so I guess he did not get the message.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
A guy I knew in college lived through a .4 because our dorm was across the street from the hospital. He was the first guy in my class to die (age 22), so I guess he did not get the message.
I just had my 35th reunion and we had a memorial service for those who passed.  The pattern is that you get a lot of deaths in the 20s and early 30s from reckless behavior (drinking, drugs, stupid risks) and depression (suicides, self destructive stuff), then there's a slow down in folks passing away, followed by a pick up in the late 50s and onward.  Certainly seemed that way.   

Offline whytev

I just had my 35th reunion and we had a memorial service for those who passed.  The pattern is that you get a lot of deaths in the 20s and early 30s from reckless behavior (drinking, drugs, stupid risks) and depression (suicides, self destructive stuff), then there's a slow down in folks passing away, followed by a pick up in the late 50s and onward.  Certainly seemed that way.

As far as I know my class is at one suicide, one car wreck.