Author Topic: Springsteen/Parking Question  (Read 3362 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Springsteen/Parking Question
« Reply #50: September 02, 2016, 06:50:26 PM »
Not playing "Born in the USA" in DC in an election year somehow reminds me of the story of Nirvana playing a sold-out stadium show in Buenos Aires where the opening band ("Calamity Jane") got booed off the stage by macho pigs and then Nirvana came out and played 40 minutes of distortion  :hysterical:

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/01/watch-nirvanas-infamous-1992-concert-in-buenos-aires-during-which-they-repeatedly-mocked-audience/
Born in the USA is so misinterpreted by, frankly, the right that I think there's no question he was not going to play it.  Stayed away from the Magic album altogether, so his play list almost looks selected not to be about politics.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #51: September 02, 2016, 06:51:12 PM »
As I said, I get it why a casual fan would have found the first part of the show boring, whereas aficionados were in heaven. What I don't get is the idea that anyone would go to a Springsteen show expecting to hear the same three or four hit singles every time (well, other than "Born to Run," of which I think I have over 50 different recordings just by Springsteen). If you want to hear the "Big Eight" or whatever, Jimmy Buffett tours every summer; I'll certainly grant that he's entertaining, but years ago I concluded he was largely going through the motions of what the fans expect from him. Springsteen is PRECISELY the opposite of that. Even if you found the show last night boring, I can't imagine that anyone who was there could argue that Springsteen doesn't work his arse off and put an immense amount of effort and energy into his shows. Part of what makes the shows great is that you don't know what he'll play on any given night (the full-album River shows this past winter being the exception because that album has 20 tracks). I know not everyone watches setlists and the like, but I think it's well-known that Springsteen is pretty much THE #1 guy at changing the show from night to night, so I don't think it's unreasonable to expect someone to know that. (He's long said it's more interesting both for the band and for the audience, especially for repeat attendees. Far cry from some performers who keep it exactly the same because they cater to the NON-repeaters.)

It's funny, "Born in the USA" (a song he is not playing at all lately) was mentioned earlier in the thread. I thought "American Skin" was more on-point and topical today, but the song I thought would be a great choice for DC, especially in an election year, was on one of the signs last night but is a song he hasn't played since the 1988 Amnesty International tour: "Chimes of Freedom." Especially this year. "Born in the USA," contrary to what some people think, is no patriotic anthem and it doesn't fit with what Springsteen is trying to do with his shows these days. If anything, the two songs that fit this fall are "Land of Hope and Dreams" and "American Land," given Springsteen's political leanings combined with the Trump candidacy (and I know we're supposed to leave politics to the Uncensored section, so I won't go further with that other than to make it clear I'm not voting for either Trump OR Clinton, so don't accuse me of having an agenda).

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #52: September 02, 2016, 06:54:10 PM »
I think most of us know what Born in the USA is and is not. It's a great song regardless of any politics. Surprised he doesn't play it any more.

Sounds like you had a great time and enjoyed the show. That's what counts.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #53: September 02, 2016, 06:56:17 PM »
Born in the USA is so misinterpreted by, frankly, the right that I think there's no question he was not going to play it.  Stayed away from the Magic album altogether, so his play list almost looks selected not to be about politics.

I find his political silence this year really interesting, given his vocal support for Kerry and Obama. I find it really hard to picture him supporting Trump. Makes me wonder if he's supporting Johnson/Weld.

But I like it that he's not in-your-face like, say, Jackson Browne or (more obnoxious since he's not American) Neil Young. While I respect the artist's right to his opinions, I think he has the concomitant obligation to recognize people are entitled to their own opinions. My impression of Springsteen is that he knows he draws from across the political spectrum and respects that he has fans who may disagree with him.

Edited to add: BTW, I enjoy some of Jackson Browne's music and I find some of his political songs very topical during the years since 9-11. But I doubt I'd attend one of his concerts because I don't enjoy the harangue I might expect to hear, and in case it isn't clear, I am not a party-line voter.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #54: September 02, 2016, 06:58:39 PM »
I find his political silence this year really interesting, given his vocal support for Kerry and Obama. I find it really hard to picture him supporting Trump. Makes me wonder if he's supporting Johnson/Weld.

But I like it that he's not in-your-face like, say, Jackson Browne or (more obnoxious since he's not American) Neil Young. While I respect the artist's right to his opinions, I think he has the concomitant obligation to recognize people are entitled to their own opinions. My impression of Springsteen is that he knows he draws from across the political spectrum and respects that he has fans who may disagree with him.
Hey. Lay off of Neil Young. He's been in the USA probably longer than you have been alive. I don't always agree with his views but he is not afraid of losing money by airing his views.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #55: September 02, 2016, 06:59:59 PM »
He didn't always recognize his audience members' entitlement to their own opinions. There were a few concerts in the NY area in the early 2000s that were not received well. Older and wiser, maybe.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #56: September 02, 2016, 07:00:52 PM »
Hey. Lay off of Neil Young. He's been in the USA probably longer than you have been alive. I don't always agree with his views but he is not afraid of losing money by airing his views.

Let me hasten to say, his views would not stop me at all from buying a Pono Player if/when my iPod dies. They would stop me from attending a concert. I respect his right to his opinion, though.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #57: September 02, 2016, 07:04:25 PM »
If you want to hear the "Big Eight" or whatever, Jimmy Buffett tours every summer; I'll certainly grant that he's entertaining, but years ago I concluded he was largely going through the motions of what the fans expect from him. Springsteen is PRECISELY the opposite of that.

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

10/10

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #58: September 02, 2016, 07:04:42 PM »
Let me hasten to say, his views would not stop me at all from buying a Pono Player if/when my iPod dies. They would stop me from attending a concert. I respect his right to his opinion, though.
I have only seen him once and it was years ago. Would like to see him acoustic but that doesn't happen often. I think usually his political stuff is limited to certain tours/events. Saw Jackson Browne a couple of years ago. No political agenda or speeches.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #59: September 02, 2016, 08:37:14 PM »
As I said, I get it why a casual fan would have found the first part of the show boring, whereas aficionados were in heaven. What I don't get is the idea that anyone would go to a Springsteen show expecting to hear the same three or four hit singles every time (well, other than "Born to Run," of which I think I have over 50 different recordings just by Springsteen). If you want to hear the "Big Eight" or whatever, Jimmy Buffett tours every summer; I'll certainly grant that he's entertaining, but years ago I concluded he was largely going through the motions of what the fans expect from him. Springsteen is PRECISELY the opposite of that. Even if you found the show last night boring, I can't imagine that anyone who was there could argue that Springsteen doesn't work his arse off and put an immense amount of effort and energy into his shows. Part of what makes the shows great is that you don't know what he'll play on any given night (the full-album River shows this past winter being the exception because that album has 20 tracks). I know not everyone watches setlists and the like, but I think it's well-known that Springsteen is pretty much THE #1 guy at changing the show from night to night, so I don't think it's unreasonable to expect someone to know that. (He's long said it's more interesting both for the band and for the audience, especially for repeat attendees. Far cry from some performers who keep it exactly the same because they cater to the NON-repeaters.)

It's funny, "Born in the USA" (a song he is not playing at all lately) was mentioned earlier in the thread. I thought "American Skin" was more on-point and topical today, but the song I thought would be a great choice for DC, especially in an election year, was on one of the signs last night but is a song he hasn't played since the 1988 Amnesty International tour: "Chimes of Freedom." Especially this year. "Born in the USA," contrary to what some people think, is no patriotic anthem and it doesn't fit with what Springsteen is trying to do with his shows these days. If anything, the two songs that fit this fall are "Land of Hope and Dreams" and "American Land," given Springsteen's political leanings combined with the Trump candidacy (and I know we're supposed to leave politics to the Uncensored section, so I won't go further with that other than to make it clear I'm not voting for either Trump OR Clinton, so don't accuse me of having an agenda).

Not sure what is wrong with doing exactly what your fans expect of you...

I guess it would be different if the songs you decide you want to play were actually good.  41 shots?  Please...

Water under the bridge at this point...lesson learned...

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #60: September 02, 2016, 09:00:04 PM »
No disrespect intended, but what makes you think he didn't do what his fans hoped for?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #61: September 02, 2016, 09:14:59 PM »
No disrespect intended, but what makes you think he didn't do what his fans hoped for?

Isnt that what you said?

My point was if that's what Buffet does, how is that a bad thing?

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #62: September 03, 2016, 08:34:53 AM »
Isnt that what you said?

My point was if that's what Buffet does, how is that a bad thing?

It's neither right nor wrong. Just because Buffett does it that way doesn't mean everyone else must.

I don't think I ever said he was in any way dashing his fans' hopes. If you go to a Springsteen forum you'll find spirited debate on whether Tuesday's four-hour show in New Jersey or Thursday's slightly shorter show in DC was the better setlist and which one makes it into the all-time top five or top ten.

(But you also have to recognize that a lot of hard-core fans are quite happy not hearing the same couple of songs you always hear on the radio. That's why I made such an effort to recognize the distinction between a casual fan and a long-timer.)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #63: September 03, 2016, 10:59:10 AM »

Gotcha...  ;)

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #64: September 03, 2016, 12:20:51 PM »
Returning to the parking issue, I haven't been able to get to ballgames much this year. We've long parked on the 12-hour meters outside Fort McNair. The soccer stadium progress is pretty much putting an end to that, I think. Took half an hour just to go from T Street to Potomac Avenue Thursday night, although of course post-concert traffic when the Metro isn't running is very different from post-baseball traffic. It was a mess back there with people driving on the wrong side of two-way streets and going the wrong way on one-way streets.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #66: September 25, 2016, 09:43:18 PM »
Resurrecting this thread as I listen to the September 1 DC Springsteen show on my iPod through the speakers off the kitchen while I clean up from dinner. The Backstreets.com review pasted below underscores the differences of opinion in this thread quite well, I think. Listening to the show again I still love it because of all the rarities. But I understand why someone less into the obscure stuff would be bored. It's sort of like the last time I saw Paul McCartney. My friend said his favorite part of the show was "Live and Let Die." My favorite part? "Mrs. Vandebilt," an obscure track from the "Band on the Run" LP. I'd heard the big hits before and loved hearing the obscure chestnut. Same thing applies to Springsteen—I waited over 30 years to hear "Incident on 57th Street" live in person.

Anyway, I'm not posting this to say anyone is right or wrong as to liking the show or being bored. Just want to post a well-known fan site's take because of the prior comment about what fans "expect."

September 1 / Nationals Park / Washington, DC
Notes:
How do you follow the show heard 'round the world? That was the question facing Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band for their stop at Nationals Park in America's capitol, a mere two days after their instantly legendary concert at New Jersey's MetLife Stadium on Tuesday. They provided an answer almost immediately: simply do it all over again. Instead of resting on their laurels, they put on another whopping 34-song, 3:45 extravaganza that was every bit as impressive as — and closely followed the template of — its Garden State predecessor.

The similarities began from the start with "New York City Serenade" accompanied by a string section. Though their recent performances of this masterpiece have been uniformly majestic, they somehow keep upping their game (due in no small part here to Nationals Park's crystal clear sound, with the exception of a few sporadic echoes). Bruce repeated a few lines in an effective bit of spoken word delivery during the orchestral sections. As he and the band become more comfortable with the song's nuances, their renditions have gotten increasingly looser, allowing the song more room to breathe.

This held true for a majority of the night's performances, especially for those rarities played in Jersey that made reprisals here: the E Street Band repeatedly improves upon their own high standards when they get to revisit a seldom-played gem multiple times, especially when they're as totally locked-in as they were in DC. This phenomenon was on display for "Summertime Blues" — a fitting choice for this balmy summer night in an outdoor baseball stadium, the first venue of the tour that houses America's favorite summer sport — but really showcased over the stretch beginning with "Growin' Up." That sign request kicked off eight consecutive songs predating Born to Run. All but one of them ("Lost in the Flood") also made appearances at MetLife 3 and were somehow given superior performances here. Bruce even added an introduction to "It's Hard to Be a Saint in the City":

"This is the song I sang to John Hammond when I went up to his office to audition for him at Columbia Records. I wrote it in an abandoned beauty parlor on the mean streets of Asbury Park…. Well, not so mean; just unkind."

This story served as a reminder of the stark differences between the recorded versions of many of these early songs and their live counterparts. Whereas Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J. sounds folksy, acoustic, and very guitar-lite, its songs become dynamically alive in concert thanks to the full power of the E Street Band, which Bruce gives ample time to shine through a plethora of solos, most notably on "Bus Stop." Despite Mr. Hammond diminishing the sonic role that Bruce wanted guitars to play on the album, they are the most remarkable aspect of these live renditions, from Bruce's introductory licks in "Growin' Up" to his duel with Stevie at the end of "Saint in the City." Stevie even added some nice fills over Max's opening drumbeat on "Spirit in the Night."

Bruce's blistering guitar work on "Lost in the Flood," a searing solo to close the song, proved a breathtakingly perfect — let me repeat: perfect — lead-in to the guitar-heavy, walloping Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle three-pack of "Kitty's Back," "Incident on 57th Street," and "Rosalita." The beloved transition from "Incident" into "Rosie" hinges upon the differentiated tempos between Bruce's gorgeous yet somber playing during the former and the rollicking wall of guitars in the latter, crucially connected by Roy's coda. Bruce's guitar prowess on "Lost" and "Kitty" added greater fuel to this glorious shift. Ultimately, the slow, intense burn that is "Incident" feels like a dynamite fuse leading to the rock 'n' roll explosion that is "Rosie," the combination of which worked this very strong crowd into an absolute frenzy.

Yet instead of slowing down the pace like he did with "Pretty Flamingo" on Tuesday, Bruce built upon the unbridled momentum of "Rosie" with "Night," a sign request for "Trapped," and the only tour premiere — and my personal highlight — of the night: "Better Days." It was only the fourth E Street Band performance of this song in America in the 21st century. Even so, their execution made it sound like a tour staple, and the crowd actually ate it up as such. Combined with "Living Proof," these top-shelf renderings will hopefully convince Bruce that he should delve further into his underrated early-'90s albums, which contain some of his most soulful, emotionally autobiographical writing.

After Bruce made time for a social statement with "American Skin" mere blocks away from the Capitol Building in America's political center, the remainder of the setlist actually felt like an elongated encore, full of warhorses and greatest hits. Two standout exceptions: "Secret Garden," another one building on its surprise appearance at MetLife 3; and the more-than-welcome return of "Seven Nights to Rock," which raucously elevated the actual encores.

Even the more conventional second half had its fair share of memorable moments. Bruce was given flowers during "Hungry Heart," and he then threw them to an ecstatic little girl in the front row (she was later invited on stage for "Dancing in the Dark"). Jake seemingly forgot to join Bruce on the mid-audience platform for "Hungry Heart," so he had to play his solo while sprinting around the pit; he soon got a chance to redeem himself by singing Soozie's part on "Out in the Street." Nils sang an entire verse of "Darlington County" by himself, and Patti elevated "Because the Night" with her unique vocal stylings. Jake literally made it rain with his "Jungleland" solo. Bruce decided to lie down on the back stairs instead of leaving the stage for his exhausted, James Brown-cape-shtick during "Shout" — needless to say, the man deserved a break after this phenomenal run of shows.

Speaking of which, everyone is going to ask the obvious question: was MetLife 3 or DC better? Honestly, it's a complete toss-up. The oldies seemed to resonate more in Jersey, because they're so inextricably linked with his early career and locales only a few miles away from the stadium. And of course there was more novelty in experiencing the '73 stretch without having any idea what would come next ("Incident" into "Rosie," for instance, didn't have quite the same wow effect the second time… but it was still amazing because, you know, "Incident" into "Rosie" is "Incident" into "Rosie"). On the other hand, the performances in Washington were more refined and hard-hitting, not to mention the vastly improved sound and louder (albeit equally yappy) crowd.

But really, does it honestly matter which is "better"? That's like choosing between your two favorite children. What interests me is why Bruce has suddenly felt compelled to reach way back into his past by so heavily relying on his first two records. The answer, I believe, brilliantly conforms to the original purpose of this tour. During the full album performances of The River — which has largely been left behind on this leg, with only three songs from it being played here — Bruce and the band were making a 35-year-old record come alive again in such a vital way that so many of its songs and themes felt pressingly relevant today. Now that they're reaching the end of this tour, they're making even older music feel even fresher in the midst of epic-beyond-epic concerts that'd make you believe they're just now entering the dawn of their career instead of the dusk. In doing so, they hopefully allow themselves and the crowd to feel as young as they were back in 1973, except with the knowledge and experience that only time can bring. Youth and wisdom are often oxymoronic, but in Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band's world, that's the type of combination only rock 'n' roll can provide… every night.
- Steven Strauss reporting - photographs by Guy Aceto

Setlist:
New York City Serenade (with strings)
Summertime Blues
Sherry Darling
No Surrender
Growin' Up
It's Hard to Be a Saint in the City
Does This Bus Stop at 82nd Street?
Spirit in the Night
Lost in the Flood
Kitty's Back
Incident on 57th Street
Rosalita
Night
Trapped
Better Days
The Promised Land
American Skin (41 Shots)
Hungry Heart
Out in the Street
Darlington County
Working on the Highway
Downbound Train
I'm on Fire
Because the Night
The Rising
Badlands
Secret Garden
Jungleland
Born to Run
Seven Nights to Rock
Dancing in the Dark
Tenth Avenue Freeze-out
Shout
Bobby Jean

BTW.....as I'm typing this, "Kitty's Back" is playing and I've said to myself more than once that this song would bore the hell out of me if I didn't know the obscure stuff. I have to admit I usually skip that song when I play one of my many bootlegs if I need to skip something to finish it before the end of the workday. Fifteen minutes of that song can get old. I have a feeling Ms1995hoo is getting annoyed by it.

(Edited to fix a typo that rendered a sentence unintelligible)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #67: September 26, 2016, 08:44:17 AM »
My brother was a hard core Springsteen fan up until the 1990s. Yes, that means more or less his period of early hits, but he liked the band sound, the east coast working man roots, the sax/ guitar / keyboard interplay, etc . . .   Nebraska was where he sort of said "what?" and then he gradually drifted from Springsteen sounds as he wrote from an older perspective and worked in country and other influences.   As my brother puts it, "he's from New Jersey, why is he doing this country [stuff]?"  My brother sort of feels Springsteen lost his roots, especially in the early 90s, and could not get back on board after the E Street Band came back together (although I think he liked the MSG live album and video). 

I bring this up because my last visit to New Hampshire, he brought me down to the commuter rail to go back to Boston, we were flipping through his Sirius presets trying to find a mutually agreeable song and stumbled on Kitty's Back, live, from the Metlife Stadium appearance on 8/30 or so.  Then I think there was another song from that show, so I think they were doing a rebroadcast.  I told him not to change the channel on the way back because that was supposed to have been a classic.  Thanks for posting the review of DC.  I'll be curious if either show makes its way onto a new live album.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #68: September 26, 2016, 09:27:11 AM »
I agree with your brother.  Springsteen's words, along with the sax/guitar/keyboard made his songs so special in the 1970's & 80's.  When I proposed to 2IPAs, I sang the words to ThunderRoad ... and she still married me.

My brother was a hard core Springsteen fan up until the 1990s. Yes, that means more or less his period of early hits, but he liked the band sound, the east coast working man roots, the sax/ guitar / keyboard interplay, etc . . .   Nebraska was where he sort of said "what?" and then he gradually drifted from Springsteen sounds as he wrote from an older perspective and worked in country and other influences.   As my brother puts it, "he's from New Jersey, why is he doing this country [stuff]?"  My brother sort of feels Springsteen lost his roots, especially in the early 90s, and could not get back on board after the E Street Band came back together (although I think he liked the MSG live album and video). 

I bring this up because my last visit to New Hampshire, he brought me down to the commuter rail to go back to Boston, we were flipping through his Sirius presets trying to find a mutually agreeable song and stumbled on Kitty's Back, live, from the Metlife Stadium appearance on 8/30 or so.  Then I think there was another song from that show, so I think they were doing a rebroadcast.  I told him not to change the channel on the way back because that was supposed to have been a classic.  Thanks for posting the review of DC.  I'll be curious if either show makes its way onto a new live album.