Author Topic: Springsteen/Parking Question  (Read 3353 times)

Offline GNatsNoMore

Springsteen/Parking Question
« Topic Start: August 31, 2016, 10:38:01 PM »
Almost 42 years after I had my first ticket to a Springsteen concert (and couldn't go), I have a ticket for tomorrow to see him for the first time. I noticed that on Aug. 30, he played for 4:01, a new U.S record.  My Spot Hero parking about 16 min. away and it says that I must exit by 11:30.  Does anyone know from previous experience from Nats games ending late or concerts ending late if most parking lots close/lock up at the exit time stated?  I don't want to miss part of the encore, but I don't want to get locked out either.  (The lot is 1880 2nd Street SW).  Thanks!

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
Re: Springsteen/Parking Question
« Reply #1: August 31, 2016, 10:51:04 PM »
freaking party! The fields gonna be beat to crap again though.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #2: September 01, 2016, 07:53:44 AM »
How will DC's noise ordinance impact the concert length?  The show starts at 7:30...can it go past 11:00?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #3: September 01, 2016, 08:36:41 AM »
Almost 42 years after I had my first ticket to a Springsteen concert (and couldn't go), I have a ticket for tomorrow to see him for the first time. I noticed that on Aug. 30, he played for 4:01, a new U.S record.  My Spot Hero parking about 16 min. away and it says that I must exit by 11:30.  Does anyone know from previous experience from Nats games ending late or concerts ending late if most parking lots close/lock up at the exit time stated?  I don't want to miss part of the encore, but I don't want to get locked out either.  (The lot is 1880 2nd Street SW).  Thanks!

I can't speak for your lot but my experience with another lot nearby (1620 So. Capitol St. SW) is that they leave it open for everyone to leave.   You can also arrive early, they won't care.  They collect your piece of paper or scan your code, they get their $ and are happy.

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #4: September 01, 2016, 12:02:59 PM »
I can't speak for your lot but my experience with another lot nearby (1620 So. Capitol St. SW) is that they leave it open for everyone to leave.   You can also arrive early, they won't care.  They collect your piece of paper or scan your code, they get their $ and are happy.

Thanks.  That's what I thought/hoped.  I suppose I'll ask the lot attendant to make sure.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #5: September 01, 2016, 05:55:31 PM »
Got here early...figured we'd eat at the Red Porch.  Morons closed it for a private party.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #6: September 01, 2016, 06:13:40 PM »
Got here early...figured we'd eat at the Red Porch.  Morons closed it for a private party.
Say hello to the Boss. And tell him we miss the Big Man.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #7: September 01, 2016, 06:23:55 PM »

If we knew you were comin' we would have invited ya to the party.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #8: September 01, 2016, 06:42:05 PM »
If we knew you were comin' we would have invited ya to the party.

Slate still hasn't gotten back to me about Saturday either...

We talked our way into the N&S Club, so all was not lost...

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #9: September 01, 2016, 07:23:29 PM »

Our seats are on the field, but it's raining, so...Gimme Shelter...

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #10: September 01, 2016, 10:26:52 PM »

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #11: September 01, 2016, 10:29:55 PM »
Great seats!

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #12: September 01, 2016, 10:30:18 PM »
Jealous

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #13: September 02, 2016, 01:18:38 AM »
How will DC's noise ordinance impact the concert length?  The show starts at 7:30...can it go past 11:00?

Ended about 11:48. Played 3 hours, 47 minutes, 41 seconds.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #14: September 02, 2016, 02:09:37 AM »
Ended about 11:48. Played 3 hours, 47 minutes, 41 seconds.

So, here's my after-action report on this:

Disclaimer:  I am 64 years old, and not a hardcore Springsteen fan, nor a Parrothead or a Deadhead, etc.  I like Bruce's commercial successes.

The show was about 2 hours, 47 minutes and 41 seconds too long.  Nearly the entire first 3 hours was a total snooze.

I do give the man props...for his age, he really brings it...non-stop...but the music, for the most part, was just boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooring as hell.

I have now done 2 things in my life that I hope never to do again...jumped out of an airplane, and been to a Springsteen concert.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #15: September 02, 2016, 02:10:53 AM »
Great seats!

Honestly, the seats in the bowl would have given you a better view...

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #16: September 02, 2016, 07:33:22 AM »
I couldn't disagree more with varoadking's assessment, but then I'm a longtime fan and I loved hearing all the lesser-known stuff from the early albums, stuff I'd wanted for years to hear live and had never caught. First half of the main set had a lot of material from the first two albums and casual fans wouldn't likely know a lot of it other than "Rosalita," but for long-timers, this was fantastic.

Edited to add: Pre-show rainbow.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #17: September 02, 2016, 08:12:11 AM »
Honestly, the seats in the bowl would have given you a better view...

Any noticeable seat emptying as the last subway train was pulling out?

BTW  Why would you jump out of a perfectly good airplane?    :)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #18: September 02, 2016, 08:49:36 AM »
I couldn't disagree more with varoadking's assessment, but then I'm a longtime fan and I loved hearing all the lesser-known stuff from the early albums, stuff I'd wanted for years to hear live and had never caught. First half of the main set had a lot of material from the first two albums and casual fans wouldn't likely know a lot of it other than "Rosalita," but for long-timers, this was fantastic.

Edited to add: Pre-show rainbow.

(Image removed from quote.)
When a set list pops up, post it.

did he do The Flood?  One of my favorites off of the 2002 MSG Live album.   Also, is he still doing Johnny 99 with the big horn arrangement?  That was my big surprise favorite from his prior Nats Park appearance.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19: September 02, 2016, 08:50:54 AM »

Disclaimer:  I am 64 years old, and not a hardcore Springsteen fan, nor a Parrothead or a Deadhead, etc.  I like Bruce's commercial successes.

The show was about 2 hours, 47 minutes and 41 seconds too long.  Nearly the entire first 3 hours was a total snooze.

I do give the man props...for his age, he really brings it...non-stop...but the music, for the most part, was just boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooring as hell.

I have now done 2 things in my life that I hope never to do again...jumped out of an airplane, and been to a Springsteen concert.

Meh, you probably prefer Manfred Mann.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #20: September 02, 2016, 09:11:43 AM »
Start Time: 8 PM

1. New York City Serenade (with string section)
2. Summertime Blues
3. Sherry Darling
4. No Surrender
5. Growin’ Up
6. It’s Hard to Be a Saint in the City
7. Does This Bus Stop at 82d Street?
8. Spirit in the Night
9. Lost in the Flood
10. Kitty’s Back
11. Incident on 57th Street  [directly into next song like on the album]
12. Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)
13. Night
14. Trapped  [sign request]
15. BETTER DAYS  [tour debut]
16. The Promised Land
17. American Skin (41 Shots)
18. Hungry Heart
19. Out in the Street
20. Darlington County
21. Working on the Highway
22. Downbound Train
23. I’m on Fire
24. Because the Night
25. The Rising
26. Badlands  [doesn't leave stage before encores]
27. Secret Garden
28. Jungleland
29. Born to Run
30. Seven Nights to Rock
31. Dancing in the Dark
32. Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out  [video board tribute to Big Man and Phantom Dan]
33. Shout
34. Bobby Jean

End Time: 11:47 PM

Offline mitlen

« Reply #21: September 02, 2016, 09:15:12 AM »
Start Time: 8 PM

1. New York City Serenade (with string section)
2. Summertime Blues
3. Sherry Darling
4. No Surrender
5. Growin’ Up
6. It’s Hard to Be a Saint in the City
7. Does This Bus Stop at 82d Street?
8. Spirit in the Night  ...
34. Bobby Jean

End Time: 11:47 PM

Sounds like a good evening.    "Spirit in the Night" was the first Springsteen song that stuck in my head.   I was workin' at a radio station and one of the on air guys tells me, "You gotta listen to this album (Greetings from Asbury Park)".    IIRC, Springsteen was still kind of a local star at that time.    He did a lot of Georgetown U. kind of venues.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #22: September 02, 2016, 09:17:32 AM »

Saw him a couple times in the early 80s. So don't feel the need to see him at this point in time especially as I am not as familiar with his work from the mid 80s forward. Hope you had some fun anyway.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23: September 02, 2016, 09:23:02 AM »
Holy crud! 

It's funny about American Skin.  On the one hand, it is about getting shot for living in your American Skin, but it also brings out the perspective of the LEO, the uncertainty that leads to firing (is it a gun, is it a knife is it wallet, this is your life).  The other hand, the voice of the mother advising her son, "when an officer stops you, promise me you'll always be polite, never run away, and always keep your hands in sight" makes so much sense.  Try not to drop the match in the kindling, while acknowledging there's kindling.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #24: September 02, 2016, 11:26:19 AM »
Saw him a couple times in the early 80s. So don't feel the need to see him at this point in time especially as I am not as familiar with his work from the mid 80s forward. Hope you had some fun anyway.

So many of his better known songs were not played...very disappointing. 

Is there some backstory on why he would not play Glory Days, Blinded by the Light, AND Born in the USA? 

This was like going to a Motley Crue concert and not hearing Kickstart my Heart; Girls, Girls Girls; AND Home Sweet Home...

Like I said...not huge fan anyway, but spending 3 hours listening to stuff I never heard of, and skipping those 3 songs, made this a complete washout for me.

:couch: before Skippy sees this...