Author Topic: Gaping offensive hole in the Line up.  (Read 1543 times)

Offline Slumpbuster

Gaping offensive hole in the Line up.
« Topic Start: August 28, 2016, 04:17:34 PM »
Zimmerman/Espinosa......Luv your contributions to our franchise Ryan but it ain't happening now. Put him on the bench. Maybe he can provide some pinch hit or defensive help down the road.
Danny Boy..... What we thought was your break out year has officially fizzled. We just can't afford your cavalcade of strikeouts.
We need to give Robinson, Revere, Heisey, Drew if ever healthy a chance to help us.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Re: Gaping offensive hole in the Line up.
« Reply #1: August 28, 2016, 04:29:12 PM »
I don't mind Espinosa's bat too much at short.

Zimmerman's bat at first is a lineup killer. I am guessing our record is better with him out of the lineup.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #2: August 28, 2016, 04:30:52 PM »
Scoreboard.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #3: August 28, 2016, 04:44:33 PM »
Our 1B are 14th in the NL in OBP, 14th in SLG, nd last in OPS.  We cannot have that at a slugging position.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #4: August 28, 2016, 05:04:05 PM »
Clint Robinson, Chris Heisey, and Ben Revere are crap. We aren't winning anything in the playoffs with them in the lineup.

Ryan Zimmerman is 40 PAs from his DL stint. When he gets to 85-100, then maybe we can discuss his performance.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #5: August 28, 2016, 05:12:15 PM »
Why do only Nats players need this mythical 100 at bats? Where does little nugget of conventional wisdom come from? Why not just spend more time in the batting cage? Why does it not apply to any other team? Cespedes comes off DL and is Cape Canaveral (sp?). Zimmerman just sucks cow patties, give him 1000 at bats he will suck swinging that elm tree 2 kms from the plate. 

Online Slateman

« Reply #6: August 28, 2016, 05:24:03 PM »
Why do only Nats players need this mythical 100 at bats? Where does little nugget of conventional wisdom come from? Why not just spend more time in the batting cage? Why does it not apply to any other team? Cespedes comes off DL and is Cape Canaveral (sp?). Zimmerman just sucks cow patties, give him 1000 at bats he will suck swinging that elm tree 2 kms from the plate. 

Nats player's dont, Zimmerman does.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #7: August 28, 2016, 05:56:55 PM »
I've said it before in other threads. You don't get than 50-60 AB's in ST.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #8: August 28, 2016, 06:05:13 PM »
With Turner and Harper the offense is playing better, the gaping holes are in the rotation and pen.

Offline More of #34

« Reply #9: August 28, 2016, 07:02:21 PM »
With Turner and Harper the offense is playing better, the gaping holes are in the rotation and pen.

Agree.  The starting rotation has too many injuries and the bullpen is not reliable except for the closer.  It does seem as though the hitting is down a notch despite Trea Turner who seems unstoppable.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #10: August 28, 2016, 07:44:35 PM »
I'd rather have Zimm and first and Turner in CF than any other possible lineup I can think of at the moment.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #11: August 28, 2016, 08:22:15 PM »
I've said it before in other threads. You don't get than 50-60 AB's in ST.
Except that just about everybody in ST only gets that many AB's after working on their hitting during the offseason. Different when you have to shut it down completely to fix what's broken then try to get back up to speed.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #12: August 28, 2016, 08:25:46 PM »
Why do only Nats players need this mythical 100 at bats? Where does little nugget of conventional wisdom come from?

Don't underestimate the power of mindfacts.

Offline Slumpbuster

« Reply #13: August 28, 2016, 10:50:08 PM »
I'd rather have Zimm and first and Turner in CF than any other possible lineup I can think of at the moment.

Turner has done well in Center but i stll say put him at SS. Revere is an even better defensive outfielder and will get on base more than Espinosa.
I can see sticking with Zman at 1st but his at bats are just so godawful .......and with RISP even worse.
Robinson's sweet, short swing is bound to be an improvement at the plate. But if the coaches think his defense at 1st is a liability then I guess we can't go with him. Zimmerman continues to be stellar in that department.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #14: August 28, 2016, 11:53:04 PM »
On Saturday, Zimmerman beat out a few ground balls that would have been double plays...because he hits the ball so weakly now

Online Slateman

« Reply #15: August 28, 2016, 11:56:08 PM »
Turner has done well in Center but i stll say put him at SS. Revere is an even better defensive outfielder and will get on base more than Espinosa.
I can see sticking with Zman at 1st but his at bats are just so godawful .......and with RISP even worse.
Robinson's sweet, short swing is bound to be an improvement at the plate. But if the coaches think his defense at 1st is a liability then I guess we can't go with him. Zimmerman continues to be stellar in that department.

Revere is not a better defensive outfielder. He has a .266 OBP

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #16: August 29, 2016, 12:11:10 AM »
Yeah I have been shocked how quickly Trea has become at reading balls in the outfield. Once he gets the throwing to the right base thing down, he basically is equal to Revere.

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #17: August 29, 2016, 12:14:36 AM »
Playoff bench is pretty much set except Drews status. If drew is able to play, it will be
Robinson
Heisey
Revere
Lobaton
Taylor
Drew
If he is not able to come back, definitely see Difo in that spot.

Offline imref

« Reply #18: August 29, 2016, 12:43:28 AM »
I think Turner is our cf for the long haul.

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #19: August 29, 2016, 01:23:27 AM »
I think Turner is our cf for the long haul.
If this is true, Rizzo has alot of trading to do. Most of the prospects that have a chance of contributing to the major league roster in the future are OFs. Especially speed CFs.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #20: August 29, 2016, 07:49:03 AM »
On Saturday, Zimmerman beat out a few ground balls that would have been double plays...because he hits the ball so weakly now
Carpenter and FP praised him for his hustle in avoiding the DP -- what a great contribution to the team's effort.  Praise for making an out and not a double-play.

Offline HattoriHanzo

• expos/Nats fan since 1980
« Reply #21: August 29, 2016, 08:01:34 AM »
Trea has made the same amount of errors in cf as revere in 1/10th the playing time. Side to side plays are easy for both. I have not seen Turner challenged with a line drive hit directly behind him. Revere has made these plays. Turner should have been playing more cf when Zim was out if this was the plan.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #22: August 29, 2016, 08:44:49 AM »

You could be a candidate for the SSS with that kind of positive thinking!

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #23: August 29, 2016, 08:56:57 AM »

#SmallVictories

Offline imref

« Reply #24: August 29, 2016, 08:58:54 AM »
If this is true, Rizzo has alot of trading to do. Most of the prospects that have a chance of contributing to the major league roster in the future are OFs. Especially speed CFs.

Who?  Robles?  I'd expect him to replace Werth in 2018.

Rizzo has forever coveted a CF with speed who can bat lead-off.  Span, Revere, T-Plush, to name a few.  He's finally got the player of his dreams.