Author Topic: Late Game -No Metro Issues  (Read 1748 times)

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Late Game -No Metro Issues
« Topic Start: August 28, 2016, 03:42:11 PM »
Ok, if we make the postseason, Metro will still be closing at 1120pm for Redline connections and 1139 for last train for everyone else!  So a game that starts at 830pm will only be 1/2 over if you don't want to catch the last train!

No I can't drive downtown there is no parking at work and retrieving my car at Vienna does not leave any time!

Cab would be Btwn 50 and 85 dollars to get back to our cars (my friend comes from Germantown and I come from Vienna)

Don't say Uber!  I'm sure they and Lyft will have surge pricing!

That means a hotel room near by or relying on friends for rides back to the subway!

Unless you all have any suggestions or offers ?

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Re: Late Game -No Metro Issues
« Reply #1: August 28, 2016, 03:54:20 PM »
The times when the subway closes will change for the one game they will play here, if it starts as late as 8:30.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #2: August 28, 2016, 04:45:19 PM »
They will find a sponsor to pay metro to stay open late!
In 2014 it was AU!  Maybe it will be AU again!

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #3: August 28, 2016, 05:05:44 PM »
The times when the subway closes will change for the one game they will play here, if it starts as late as 8:30.
Doubt it. Metro is a nightmare. They're in the middle of their SafeTrack repairs.

As for going to a game, drive and pay to park somewhere at work for that game. Or Uber/Lyft and just deal with the additional prices. Either one of those is going to be far cheaper than a hotel in the area.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #4: August 28, 2016, 06:21:26 PM »
I think they are adamant about closing for the safetrack work.  I imagine there will be buses to metro stations, especially the ones with garages.  No way they want folks driving down town. 

You might even want to email Dan Steinberg at the Sportsbog or Dr. Gridlock to get them making noise to metro and the Nats.   Also, let you ticket agent know.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #5: August 28, 2016, 08:31:29 PM »

No I can't drive downtown there is no parking at work and retrieving my car at Vienna does not leave any time!

Pay to park all day near Nats Park, Metro to and from work and drive home. 

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #6: August 28, 2016, 08:53:21 PM »
:clap:

Pay to park all day near Nats Park, Metro to and from work and drive home.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #7: August 29, 2016, 07:21:59 AM »

Don't bet the rent/mortgage money on that - not with the federal government breathing down Metro's neck these days. SafeTrack takes absolute priority.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #8: September 04, 2016, 04:55:09 PM »
The Marine Corps Marathon had to change their start time and route because ofMetro not opening early enough!

They wont do anything!

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #9: September 04, 2016, 05:52:27 PM »
The Marine Corps Marathon had to change their start time and route because ofMetro not opening early enough!

They wont do anything!
They might as well shut down for a couple of years and start over.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #10: September 04, 2016, 05:57:31 PM »
They might as well shut down for a couple of years and start over.

Can you imagine what this place would be like if they did that? :shock:  The homicide (and suicide rate) would skyrocket.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #11: September 04, 2016, 05:59:57 PM »
Park somewhere like Union Station for the day. Take the metro to work from Union Station and either the Circulator Bus (stops at like 11:30), taxi, metro bus, uber or Lyft back to Union Station afterwards to get your car. Taxi between Nats park and Union station will be around $10.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #12: September 04, 2016, 06:01:18 PM »
Can you imagine what this place would be like if they did that? :shock:  The homicide (and suicide rate) would skyrocket.
Probably true. Many people like their jobs or at least think they are important. Full time telework.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #13: September 05, 2016, 03:56:05 AM »
Then many of us could all be like Hilary and store classified data on our home computers ...

Probably true. Many people like their jobs or at least think they are important. Full time telework.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #14: September 05, 2016, 11:35:12 AM »
The place I work, telework isn't an option

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Bring Back the RFK Shuttle
« Reply #15: September 05, 2016, 12:02:18 PM »
Park somewhere like Union Station for the day. Take the metro to work from Union Station and either the Circulator Bus (stops at like 11:30), taxi, metro bus, uber or Lyft back to Union Station afterwards to get your car. Taxi between Nats park and Union station will be around $10.

Great suggestion but that would not work on a large scale. This is a real problem heading into the playoffs. Metro doesn't stay open late anymore and has closures during the day. Parking is the worst it has been since the ballpark opened, the predictions of a traffic nightmare back in 2008 are now coming true. More people than ever are driving and a number of lots have closed. I have to leave my house 30-40 minutes earlier to get to the games than I did in the eight previous years and it takes 10-20 minutes longer to get out. This is for lightly attended games.

With the playoffs bringing thousands of standing room ticket sales something has to happen or the story of the first two home games will be Nats fans driving around for three innings looking to park, only to give up and go home. The Nats aren't planning ahead, they have their parking garages and ticket money in the bank. They will react only after the debacle hits the media.

The answer is to bring back the RFK shuttle. Plenty of parking for a few thousand cars. This would completely eliminate the issue.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #16: September 05, 2016, 12:57:47 PM »
So you're saying it's a good thing they will only play one home Playoff game?

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #17: September 05, 2016, 02:55:59 PM »
The Springsteen concert had a full house and it went until about midnight. Not many people left for Metro and it was still easy as hell to get out from Lot B. I have not heard of any parking or traffic complaints from that night.

That's despite concert attendees who are not Nats Park regulars who have the potential for causing the biggest traffic nightmares because they have no clue where they're going.

Online 1995hoo

« Reply #18: September 05, 2016, 04:18:13 PM »
Park in Buzzard Point on Second Street SW as close as you can get to Q Street on the 12-hour meters. Pay for the whole day until 6:30 PM (I use the Parkmobile app to avoid having to carry loads of change). Then retrieve the car after the game.

The reason for parking as close to Q Street as you can is that Second Street is one-way southbound south of there and the soccer stadium construction has closed off all the cross streets, so unless you want to risk going the wrong way on a one-way street when you leave, you'd have to loop all the way down past the marina. After Springsteen it was a mess getting out of that area even with lots of people illegally driving on the wrong side of two-way streets and going the wrong way on one-way streets. Hence parking as close to the two-way part of Second Street as possible.

I've parked back there for ballpark events since 2010 and this past Thursday's Springsteen show was the only time I ever had any sort of problem. I will admit that there have been times late at night where if we did not leave the ballpark very promptly we felt somewhat uncomfortable walking through the neighborhood across South Capitol Street there. (Right after a game there are loads of people and no issues, but there have been two times when an older black lady was yelling profanities at passing white people about tromping through her neighborhood.) This didn't used to be a big deal because we'd just walk down to Potomac Avenue and across via R Street to Second Street, but R Street is now fenced off between First and Second for the soccer construction, so you have to walk through the residential area.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Re: Bring Back the RFK Shuttle
« Reply #19: September 05, 2016, 05:34:28 PM »
So many options, so many ways for the team to disappoint us.

Great suggestion but that would not work on a large scale. This is a real problem heading into the playoffs. Metro doesn't stay open late anymore and has closures during the day. Parking is the worst it has been since the ballpark opened, the predictions of a traffic nightmare back in 2008 are now coming true. More people than ever are driving and a number of lots have closed. I have to leave my house 30-40 minutes earlier to get to the games than I did in the eight previous years and it takes 10-20 minutes longer to get out. This is for lightly attended games.

With the playoffs bringing thousands of standing room ticket sales something has to happen or the story of the first two home games will be Nats fans driving around for three innings looking to park, only to give up and go home. The Nats aren't planning ahead, they have their parking garages and ticket money in the bank. They will react only after the debacle hits the media.

The answer is to bring back the RFK shuttle. Plenty of parking for a few thousand cars. This would completely eliminate the issue.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #20: September 05, 2016, 08:03:47 PM »
After Springsteen it was a mess getting out of that area even with lots of people illegally driving on the wrong side of two-way streets and going the wrong way on one-way streets. Hence parking as close to the two-way part of Second Street as possible.

I will admit that there have been times late at night where if we did not leave the ballpark very promptly we felt somewhat uncomfortable walking through the neighborhood across South Capitol Street there. (Right after a game there are loads of people and no issues, but there have been two times when an older black lady was yelling profanities at passing white people about tromping through her neighborhood.) This didn't used to be a big deal because we'd just walk down to Potomac Avenue and across via R Street to Second Street, but R Street is now fenced off between First and Second for the soccer construction, so you have to walk through the residential area.

I always drive on the wrong side of the road coming out of that area, it make it quicker when you are heading over to turn left on South Capitol. Thing that stinks is that the last couple games the cops have blocked off the left turn and made everyone turn right to head across the bridge. So I end up driving though the neighborhood to get to M Street.

The city and the Nats like to keep the crime reports quiet but there are muggings in that area. Travelling with a large group after an event you are probably fine, but in general not a great option if you have kids.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #21: September 05, 2016, 10:27:20 PM »
Oh please.  When was there a mugging on a game night (unless you are counting Muffy who had so many frozen vodka red bulls at the Bullpen that she thought the Douglass bridge went straight back to Connecticut). 
I always drive on the wrong side of the road coming out of that area, it make it quicker when you are heading over to turn left on South Capitol. Thing that stinks is that the last couple games the cops have blocked off the left turn and made everyone turn right to head across the bridge. So I end up driving though the neighborhood to get to M Street.

The city and the Nats like to keep the crime reports quiet but there are muggings in that area. Travelling with a large group after an event you are probably fine, but in general not a great option if you have kids.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #22: September 05, 2016, 10:37:25 PM »
Only on nights when you don't go to Nats Park

Oh please.  When was there a mugging on a game night (unless you are counting Muffy who had so many frozen vodka red bulls at the Bullpen that she thought the Douglass bridge went straight back to Connecticut). 

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #23: September 05, 2016, 11:10:49 PM »
I will admit that there have been times late at night where if we did not leave the ballpark very promptly we felt somewhat uncomfortable walking through the neighborhood across South Capitol Street there. (Right after a game there are loads of people and no issues, but there have been two times when an older black lady was yelling profanities at passing white people about tromping through her neighborhood.) This didn't used to be a big deal because we'd just walk down to Potomac Avenue and across via R Street to Second Street, but R Street is now fenced off between First and Second for the soccer construction, so you have to walk through the residential area.

Well to be fair, there are an awful lot of white people tromping through that lady's neighborhood these days; when there's a crowd of 25,000-35,000 people in a neighborhood that was never designed to support those levels of traffic, some of them will inevitably turn out to be drunk pricks who don't respect the fact that people live there, and after a few years, 80+ nights of that each summer would make you yell too.  That lady probably has lived in that house for 45 years and thought it would be a nice quiet place to retire.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #24: September 06, 2016, 07:25:29 AM »

And yet the federal government (FTA?) threatened to shut the system down until Metro management stopped dragging their feet.