Author Topic: Rob Manfred wants to bring pitch clocks to the majors next year  (Read 1449 times)

Offline lylelgreen

Rob Manfred wants to bring pitch clocks to the majors next year

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rob-manfred-wants-to-bring-pitch-clocks-to-the-majors-next-year-210727811.html

Chris Cwik
Big League Stew contributor
Aug 18, 2016, 5:07 PM

Since he took over as Major League Baseball’s commissioner, Rob Manfred has shown a willingness to embrace new ideas. Now that he’s had some time on the job, he’s looking to implement some of those radical concepts.

Manfred’s latest desire is to bring a pitch clock to the majors. The league has already experimented with 20-second pitch clocks in the minors, and Manfred believes it’s time to take them to the next level, according to Bob Nightengale of USA Today.

“Our view of the pitch clock is that we feel it’s been effective in the minor leagues,’’ Manfred said, “we really do. I think when you look at our experience with the effort we undertook last year, and you look month-by-month in terms of where we were in terms of game time, we did really well early and kind of regressed the second half of last year, and certainly this year.
As far as a timeline for getting pitch clocks to the majors, Manfred is comfortable with next season.

When asked if he would like to see the clock implemented perhaps as early as next season, Manfred didn’t hesitate.
“I would,’’ he said. “I said yes because there’s no temporal assigned to that.”
If the pitch clocks do come to the majors, pitchers would have just 20 seconds in between each pitch. According to Manfred, only a few minor-league pitchers violated the rule. It would only impact notoriously slow workers on the mound.

On the surface, it doesn’t seem like a major change. Twenty seconds seems like a decent amount of time to someone watching the game, though it would be interesting to hear from actual players on the issue. That said, any fan who has watched Clay Buchholz take what seems like an hour to throw a single pitch will support the change.

Manfred also discussed two other issues when he met with owners Thursday: A limit on defensive shifts, and a limit on pitching changes. This is not the first time Manfred has openly discussed eliminating shifting from baseball. Manfred made waves shortly after he took over as baseball’s commissioner after suggesting he was open to defensive shifts being banned from the game. He walked back on that after receiving negative comments from fans.

Limiting both defensive shifts and pitching changes would have a major impact on the game, though it’s less clear how serious the commissioner is about implementing those rules. At this point in time, we don’t have an idea of how much either of those things would be limited, or what Manfred is considering. There’s no need to overreact just yet, but both issues are worth watching.

For now, it seems pitch clocks are the most important issue for Manfred. While it would be useful to get feedback from players on the issue, MLB has experimented with them in the minors, and it hasn’t drastically changed the game. Bringing them to the majors seems like the next logical step in this experiment.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Have Harper (and others) quit playin' with their gloves and pant bottoms after every pitch.     Clocks and baseball   ....   :smh:

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
It seems to me his focus is in the wrong place.  The focus should be doing whatever is best for the players, not to try to speed up the game.  The heat, 162 game season, and the physical nature of the sport should make the commissioner focus on what the players need.

Offline DPMOmaha

I have no problem with this.

Offline UMDNats

I have no problem with this.

I've watched a lot of minor league baseball with the clock and it definitely moves faster and you barely notice it, if at all.

Offline Natsinpwc

I think this is a great move.  After the first few weeks, they ignored the rules about stepping out of the box.  Pitchers are not blameless either.  It's just ridiculous how long the at bats take nowadays.  Watched an SEC game a few years ago with the clock and it didn't come into play at all.  The players will adjust.

Offline DPMOmaha

I've watched a lot of minor league baseball with the clock and it definitely moves faster and you barely notice it, if at all.
I didn't notice it in the couple of games I went to. Heck, I didn't even notice the clock they've got in MLB this year. It really won't be an issue unless someone wants to be obstinate. The players will adjust just fine.

Offline Count Walewski

I think this is a mix of good ideas and batcrap crazy ideas. I am fine with pitch clocks, I am less thrilled with the proposal to limit the number of relief pitchers who can be used in a game or the suggestion of banning shifts.

Offline whytev

I think this is a mix of good ideas and batcrap crazy ideas. I am fine with pitch clocks, I am less thrilled with the proposal to limit the number of relief pitchers who can be used in a game or the suggestion of banning shifts.

Fix replay. Problem solved.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!

The play in the Red Sox/Tigers last night was a huge replay gaffe.

Offline whytev

The play in the Red Sox/Tigers last night was a huge replay gaffe.

What happened?

Offline Natsinpwc

Games had gotten longer before replay. They can fix replay and use a clock.

Offline whytev

Games had gotten longer before replay. They can fix replay and use a clock.

Games are shorter in the N.L. Turf the D.H.

Offline houston-nat

pitch clock = good
limiting pitching changes = bad
limiting defensive shifts = bad

Offline DPMOmaha

Don't really have a problem with this idea, either.

Offline machpost

Have Harper (and others) quit playin' with their gloves and pant bottoms after every pitch.

This. It's so annoying when the batter (fussing with his batting gloves, etc.) and the pitcher (stepping off the mound) take turns delaying the game, back and forth.

Offline Natsinpwc

Games are shorter in the N.L. Turf the D.H.
Sounds good to me. Probably going to go the other way eventually.

Offline Natsinpwc

pitch clock = good
limiting pitching changes = bad
Agree.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
What happened?

Anything I write here would be doing a disservice because it's so nuanced that it almost requires a short thesis or dissertation.

Ultimately replay showed a player drop a diving catch which would have led to a double play.  A lot of chaos which ultimately led to the replay folks in New York allowing the umpires to place the runners who were ruled safe due to replay at the bases according to their discretion.

I think the replay ended up getting the call correct, however the ends may not justify the means in that case.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Sounds good to me. Probably going to go the other way eventually.

The DH in the NL doesn't go far enough.  Best hitters in the lineup best defenders in the field.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
So if you're holding a runner on...you do what...throw over just to beat the clock if need be?  Where do you put this clock so that it is not distracting?

Stoopid idea...leave baseball alone already...

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Of all of the ideas thrown around I can't believe that a significant reduction in schedule hasn't been even up for discussion.  154 games doesn't go far enough.  140 games, mandatory double-headers, end the season on Labor Day. 

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
Of all of the ideas thrown around I can't believe that a significant reduction in schedule hasn't been even up for discussion.  154 games doesn't go far enough.  140 games, mandatory double-headers, end the season on Labor Day. 

Especially if they want to expand the playoffs. I'm for a reduction

Offline DPMOmaha

So if you're holding a runner on...you do what...throw over just to beat the clock if need be?  Where do you put this clock so that it is not distracting?

Stoopid idea...leave baseball alone already...

I believe the clock when runners are on is for when teh pitcher has to take the rubber, not deliver the pitch. Batter has to be in the box, too. It's not all on the pitcher.

The games I've been to had one by the dugouts, I believe and one on the scoreboard or somewhere in the outfield. Seriously didn't even notice them during the game. Never came into play.

Offline DPMOmaha

I'd go 154 with mandatory double headers. One at home and one on the road with each divisional team.