Author Topic: Vote for Pedro  (Read 781 times)

Offline whytev

Vote for Pedro
« Topic Start: August 19, 2016, 03:19:05 AM »
The more I see Severino, the more I like him.

Is he the real deal?

Offline HattoriHanzo

• expos/Nats fan since 1980
Re: Vote for Pedro
« Reply #1: August 19, 2016, 03:53:49 AM »
I have him as a 74 potential in ootp so sure he's legit. Severino was always known for his defense and not his bat and I'm sure his hot hitting will come down to earth. But maybe he changed something recently and this is the real him. For a catcher it's surprising to see a very compact swing with not too many moving parts. Severino playing well might make it harder for Rizzo to extend Ramos. Ramos will probably want 4 years and I think term will be what is will send Ramos to another team and not how much he makes per season. Even 3 years might be too much for Severino to sit as Ramos' backup. If that's the case, the 2016 window might be slightly larger than 2017 if Ramos does not return. Ramos has proven to be consistent and clutch while looking a lot better defensively and Severino might look good while getting part time work, but might not be handle to a full season of work. It'll be interesting to see what Rizzo does.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #2: August 19, 2016, 04:37:04 AM »
Given the position, what's wrong with Ramos & Severino sharing duties ?

Offline HattoriHanzo

• expos/Nats fan since 1980
« Reply #3: August 19, 2016, 04:46:56 AM »

Pedro might be too good to only play once in five games. The team could save themselves a lot of money if they let Ramos walk while getting an extra first round pick in return. Ramos would certainly turn down a QO. If teams feel that Ramos can duplicate this season or play even better, he'll command a lot of money as many teams will be competing for his services. Great hitting catchers are rare and he's shown to be better on defense as well. Ramos' age also adds to his value as players his age are just entering their prime.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/08/free-agent-stock-watch-wilson-ramos.html

Ramos might be looking at a 5 year, 70 to 85 million dollar range contract. Do you think the nats pay him that or like what they see in Severino and make him their everyday catcher and use that money towards attempting to sign Harper? I'd prefer to keep Ramos and have a great backup in Severino who can take over for an extended period time if Ramos gets hurt and he has had a history of injuries.

Before Ramos' breakout year this season, many fans wanted a new catcher and it was even rumored that the team was pursuing options in the off season to bridge the gap to Severino or when one of the other catching prospects was ready to take over catching duties. Ramos' breakout season might have changed those plans, but only if both sides can agree on the terms of his next contract. I hope that Ramos likes DC enough to possibly give the nats a hometown discount because I would bet that there are a few teams out there that would outbid the nats on money and on term and the nats would probably ask him to take some of the money to be deferred too.

Offline 3bside

« Reply #4: August 19, 2016, 08:06:03 AM »
Si

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #5: August 19, 2016, 08:46:56 AM »
Difficult decision for all. Ramos is having a great year. How many teams would offer 75-80 mil over 5 years based on one years production. He was hurt often in previous years and missed considerable time. Is that in the past due to his off-season conditioning this past year? Would he take the QO? Safe bet for the Nats but if he is convinced that someone will offer him 4 or 5 years that point is moot. I'm not real good in projecting what other teams will do in regards to FA. Maybe a poorly run team like the Reds or D'Backs could make an offer like that. He has been treated very well by the Nats during his tenure here so there is a possibility of a home team discount. Stras re-signed so anything is possible. Best case scenario is Ramos takes the QO and Severino is his back up.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #6: August 19, 2016, 08:47:30 AM »
"I don’t even have any good skills. You know like batting skills, bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills. Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!”-Jose Lobaton.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #7: August 19, 2016, 08:59:53 AM »
The more I see Severino, the more I like him.

Is he the real deal?
I think he's always profiled as an elite defensive catcher but the worry is whether he'd hit enough to play every day. Small sample size so far but it's promising.

Like I said before, I like and want to keep Ramos. But if it comes down to a bidding war with an AL club then I'd rather go forward with Severino.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #8: August 19, 2016, 09:08:12 AM »
Anybody following how Sandy Leon is doing in Boston? Cuz, uh, didn't see that coming either.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #9: August 19, 2016, 09:09:50 AM »
Two notes

1. BABIP is .429 so he has been quite lucky
2. The Nationals have now employed two of the three Severinos in MLB history.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #10: August 19, 2016, 09:25:07 AM »
Ramos has said in interviews that he wants to stay here. It would be nice if the team can make him an offer that he'll accept. With his history of injury, I'd like to think that the team's new approach to health/wellness may play a factor; according to Stras, it did, and he probably could have gotten a nice chunk more on the FA market.  I would expect to see a lot more of Severino down the stretch, with Ramos working some abbreviated games, so that the team can get a bigger look at how Severino really performs-- there is always an element of beginner's luck (more like, opponent scouts lack of intel on the beginners) that may be coloring things right now.  If Ramos signs, then Severino potentially becomes a very valuable trade chip over the winter, which could be a factor in the offer to Ramos.  The team as constructed doesn't need a whole lot in the offseason but it's not too early to look at the 2018 season needs and start shopping for them.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #11: August 19, 2016, 09:32:05 AM »
Severino's 2016 MiLB stats:

.259/.307/.324, 11 2B, 2 HR, 17 BB: 40 K (AAA)

Offline Matugi

« Reply #12: August 19, 2016, 09:39:30 AM »
Pedro might be too good to only play once in five games. The team could save themselves a lot of money if they let Ramos walk while getting an extra first round pick in return. Ramos would certainly turn down a QO. If teams feel that Ramos can duplicate this season or play even better, he'll command a lot of money as many teams will be competing for his services. Great hitting catchers are rare and he's shown to be better on defense as well. Ramos' age also adds to his value as players his age are just entering their prime.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/08/free-agent-stock-watch-wilson-ramos.html

Ramos might be looking at a 5 year, 70 to 85 million dollar range contract. Do you think the nats pay him that or like what they see in Severino and make him their everyday catcher and use that money towards attempting to sign Harper? I'd prefer to keep Ramos and have a great backup in Severino who can take over for an extended period time if Ramos gets hurt and he has had a history of injuries.

Before Ramos' breakout year this season, many fans wanted a new catcher and it was even rumored that the team was pursuing options in the off season to bridge the gap to Severino or when one of the other catching prospects was ready to take over catching duties. Ramos' breakout season might have changed those plans, but only if both sides can agree on the terms of his next contract. I hope that Ramos likes DC enough to possibly give the nats a hometown discount because I would bet that there are a few teams out there that would outbid the nats on money and on term and the nats would probably ask him to take some of the money to be deferred too.

Another issue is Ramos would almost certainly rather play for an AL team where he can DH and extend his career.

Offline Optics

« Reply #13: August 19, 2016, 10:31:34 AM »
He's a nice young C to have as a backup and makes Lobaton obsolete. He is absolutely not a replacement for Ramos full time.

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #14: August 19, 2016, 10:36:08 AM »
He's a nice young C to have as a backup and makes Lobaton obsolete. He is absolutely not a replacement for Ramos full time.

This.

I love them both. Lucky to have them. (We have good young catchers below them too.) I hope they sign Ramos, but if they don't they'll have to keep Lobaton or pay a free agent vet. Might as well give the money to Ramos and let Severino mature slowly, dropping LobThrows/NoBat.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #15: August 19, 2016, 10:36:49 AM »
Concerned about his defensive readiness. There were a couple of pitches last night he just seemed to miss. And we haven't seen him on any plays at the plate.

Offline whytev

« Reply #16: August 19, 2016, 11:16:51 AM »

Nothing, except Lobatón is about to be re-activated.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #17: October 01, 2016, 07:08:57 PM »
Severino is going to end up an elite defensive catcher with a passable bat and good speed when he gets on. On a club built on pitching and defense, he's a big time young player.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #18: October 01, 2016, 07:18:20 PM »
Severino is going to end up an elite defensive catcher with a passable bat and good speed when he gets on. On a club built on pitching and defense, he's a big time young player.

too bad we're not built on defense

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #19: October 01, 2016, 07:28:22 PM »
That caught stealing throw was magnificent.