Author Topic: British Airways is ditching meals on flights to North America  (Read 346 times)

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
...so reads the headline of an article posted a few minutes ago on CNBC.com - and this surprising no-frills move would appear to be confirmed by the first paragraph of the article proper: 'British Airways passengers travelling to and from the U.S. and Canada are being given "fun-size" chocolate bars rather than a meal on flights.'

Now read the full article (it's not too long) to find out what actually is happening: http://www.cnbc.com/2016/08/15/british-airways-is-ditching-meals-on-flights-to-north-america.html

...but the airlines nowadays are such convenient punching bags that a 'shock-value' headline of this sort would seem inevitable.

Offline houston-nat

If you really want to fly without a meal, you can always fly Iceland Air, which charges for even a bite of food.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
In-flight hakarl would be awesome.  People would be trying to get the hatch open to escape the smell. 
If you really want to fly without a meal, you can always fly Iceland Air, which charges for even a bite of food.

Offline dcpatti

Honestly that flight isn't long enough for two meals. The second one is always gross and rushed,  no matter the airline, no matter the cabin. Wouldn't mind if they ditched breakfast when going the other way, too, but I'm probably in the minority. I'd rather sleep an extra 45 minutes and buy a baguette when I land but it's too noisy when they're doing breakfast service.

The only airlinebreakfasts I've had worth waking up for were Air New Zealand (awesome bacon rolls) and US Airways (of all carriers, imagine that, but they had consistently great quiches/stratas), both in business class. Don't wake me up for muesli or yogurt or some nasty cheese omelet with turkey sausage.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Best airline breakfast ever was on a short hop on Thai Airways from Rangoon to Bangkok.  Spicy (really spicy) seafood curry at 7 am?  I'm in.  Especially if it's with a cold Singha.   
Honestly that flight isn't long enough for two meals. The second one is always gross and rushed,  no matter the airline, no matter the cabin. Wouldn't mind if they ditched breakfast when going the other way, too, but I'm probably in the minority. I'd rather sleep an extra 45 minutes and buy a baguette when I land but it's too noisy when they're doing breakfast service.

The only airlinebreakfasts I've had worth waking up for were Air New Zealand (awesome bacon rolls) and US Airways (of all carriers, imagine that, but they had consistently great quiches/stratas), both in business class. Don't wake me up for muesli or yogurt or some nasty cheese omelet with turkey sausage.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
For my part I can dispense with the second meal - it[s always quiche or some sandwich I'm not into. The regular 'first' meals on BA are actually pretty good (and on departures from Heathrow you can pre-order your meal [free of charge in World Traveller Plus, Club World and first class] - in World Traveller Plus one of these, it seems, is almost always 'seared British beef' which goes down a treat).