Author Topic: Taking my oldest brother for his first Nationals Park trip!!!!  (Read 2640 times)

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Uh, just a word of advice - Ignore absolutely every thing PowerBoater69 suggested. He's just being him. It's not valid advice.
That's rude, not just to me but to the Nats Pack as well.

Offline RiotAct

Liquor store on the other side of S Capitol St always does it for me.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Heads up  ....  Sunday's weather calls for high 90s and heat index of around 110.     Not sure where your seats are in 237 but right field/1st base is the sun field.    You can take unopened water (one) into the stadium.    Get it from the vendors outside the stadium for a buck or two.    Don't lug any more stuff than you need.    As JCA mentioned, the walk way/ramp on the right field side is a nice place to catch a river breeze in the shade.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Heads up  ....  Sunday's weather calls for high 90s and heat index of around 110.     Not sure where your seats are in 237 but right field/1st base is the sun field.    You can take unopened water (one) into the stadium.    Get it from the vendors outside the stadium for a buck or two.    Don't lug any more stuff than you need.    As JCA mentioned, the walk way/ramp on the right field side is a nice place to catch a river breeze in the shade.

Nats allow 2 bottles of water per person on hot days now...

Offline aussienatsfan

This coming Sunday, I'm finally bringing my oldest brother to a Nats game at the Park!  We've had this planned for a few years, but horrendous family emergencies have gotten in the way (Dad getting pancreatic cancer last year, with subsequent surgery and treatment took care of it for one), and this year looks like we're finally going to make it there together!

He was curious about Signature Sunday, so we're going to try to get there early enough for that (Philadelphia area, taking Metro from Silver Spring into the Park, but don't worry: we're Nats fans, I swear!)

Anything of interest I should show him at the Park, in case I forget to show him?  It's a gorgeous park as it is, one of my all-time favorites, but I want to show him the whole Park and how great it is!

I have never been to nats park, I can only dream of it living so far awya, but i wish you and your family all the best, hope your time at the park is memorable. Go nats

Offline mitlen

Nats allow 2 bottles of water per person on hot days now...

Outstanding.

Offline Natsinpwc

Outstanding.
I have brought in a few even on not sweltering days. Think the people at the gates don't care as long as they are not opened.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
If you are coming in from Silver Spring (Red Line), consider getting off at Union Station and taking the very cheap Circulator bus to the park.

Or, if you are driving into town and looking for a subway stop, consider one of the green line stations on the beltway (Greenbelt, for instance).  I don't think there's any green line work going on this weekend.

It's the transfers that kill you. Either of these options will keep you from transferring.

Walk out to the far end of the upper deck in left field and get a nice view of the Capitol.    You can also see portions of other DC sights from there.

Allow extra time for the Metro.    Lots of mandated and ongoing fixes, single tracking, etc. happening.    It can cause delays.    Looking at the Metro (WMATA) site though it looks like you're good to go.

http://www.wmata.com/rail/trackwork.cfm

Offline GburgNatsFan

And the sketchy 7-11.

Liquor store on the other side of S Capitol St always does it for me.

Offline RiotAct

I have brought in a few even on not sweltering days. Think the people at the gates don't care as long as they are not opened.

Yep, when the wife, baby and I went to a game agaibst the Marlins back in May, we had a backpack with 4 bottles of water and a bunch of snacks and they didn't bat an eye.  I think it even says on the Nats' official site that you're allowed to bring in water bottles as long as they're unopened.

EDIT: This link says only one bottle per person, http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/was/ballpark/information/index.jsp?content=guest_conduct_policy :confused:

Offline GburgNatsFan

That's a guideline. No one will stop you on a hot day.

Yep, when the wife, baby and I went to a game agaibst the Marlins back in May, we had a backpack with 4 bottles of water and a bunch of snacks and they didn't bat an eye.  I think it even says on the Nats' official site that you're allowed to bring in water bottles as long as they're unopened.

EDIT: This link says only one bottle per person, http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/was/ballpark/information/index.jsp?content=guest_conduct_policy :confused:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Uh, just a word of advice - Ignore absolutely every thing PowerBoater69 suggested. He's just being him. It's not valid advice.

Hey, those were better recommendations than what he gave those Phillies fans that time.    :crackup:   

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.

I always bring in several bottles of water and have never been hassled.

Offline raveoned

I have never been to nats park, I can only dream of it living so far awya, but i wish you and your family all the best, hope your time at the park is memorable. Go nats

Thank you!  There used to be three brothers, and we would always do a baseball road trip every season, somewhere we could drive to.  Now that there are two brothers, we try to keep the tradition going, and drink a toast to our brother, who passed a few years ago.

Thanks to everyone for the advice!  I'm definitely taking some water along to start to hydrate on the way there, and we'll be sure to stay hydrated and as cool as possible while there.  My plan is that if we're getting too much sun, we'll go and check stuff out in the concourse to stay in some shade for a bit.

Offline dracnal

Hey, those were better recommendations than what he gave those Phillies fans that time.    :crackup:

Hehehhe. Very true - what's that bar/club he likes to send people to?

Offline raveoned

Hehehhe. Very true - what's that bar/club he likes to send people to?

Not the Blue Oyster Bar, is it?

(I hope someone gets that reference!)

Offline RiotAct

Thank you!  There used to be three brothers, and we would always do a baseball road trip every season, somewhere we could drive to.  Now that there are two brothers, we try to keep the tradition going, and drink a toast to our brother, who passed a few years ago.

Thanks to everyone for the advice!  I'm definitely taking some water along to start to hydrate on the way there, and we'll be sure to stay hydrated and as cool as possible while there.  My plan is that if we're getting too much sun, we'll go and check stuff out in the concourse to stay in some shade for a bit.
Good point - there are a lot of good places on the 100-level concourse where you can watch the game under shade and still have a view of pretty much the entire field.

Offline raveoned

Update: due to the weather, I found a good deal on StubHub for seats in Section 112, under the upper deck.

I'd rather have more of a chance at shade and deal with the heat that way, as opposed to being in the sun the whole time.

Offline mitlen

This coming Sunday, I'm finally bringing my oldest brother to a Nats game at the Park!  We've had this planned for a few years, but horrendous family emergencies have gotten in the way (Dad getting pancreatic cancer last year, with subsequent surgery and treatment took care of it for one), and this year looks like we're finally going to make it there together!

He was curious about Signature Sunday, so we're going to try to get there early enough for that (Philadelphia area, taking Metro from Silver Spring into the Park, but don't worry: we're Nats fans, I swear!)

Anything of interest I should show him at the Park, in case I forget to show him?  It's a gorgeous park as it is, one of my all-time favorites, but I want to show him the whole Park and how great it is!

Well, how did it go?

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
I always bring in several bottles of water and have never been hassled.
Water... Or gin-n-tonic, they don't look that closely.

Offline raveoned

Well, how did it go?

Apart from the staggering heat, and us having to make stops up to the concourse for water and shade up till the 3rd or 4th inning, it went great!

The Metro was super easy to take in from Glenmont (on the way down and back seeing the ULine Arena, site of the first Beatles US concert!), which we changed trains at Gallery Place/Chinatown to take the green line in.

The ballpark is beautiful, plain and simple.  The Nats had a cooling room set up behind section 202, where people could go to cool down and get ice water, and that was amazing to do.  I love they had that for the fans.

On the way in, we both bought red Nats caps, and on the way out decided we both liked the blue ones also so bought those too! 

The food is great, my brother continuing his testing of hot dogs in each park we go to, me trying the chicken and biscuit sandwich at the Virginia food stand near our section.  We hung out up in the Red Loft for a bit as well, and that is amazing with such a gorgeous view into the park!

The game itself was fantastic to watch, with some great offense!  It was amazing seeing Roark pitching in person, too.

Overall, it was a great day, and it just reinforced our love of the Nats! 

Offline mitlen

Apart from the staggering heat, and us having to make stops up to the concourse for water and shade up till the 3rd or 4th inning, it went great!

The Metro was super easy to take in from Glenmont (on the way down and back seeing the ULine Arena, site of the first Beatles US concert!), which we changed trains at Gallery Place/Chinatown to take the green line in.

The ballpark is beautiful, plain and simple.  The Nats had a cooling room set up behind section 202, where people could go to cool down and get ice water, and that was amazing to do.  I love they had that for the fans.

On the way in, we both bought red Nats caps, and on the way out decided we both liked the blue ones also so bought those too! 

The food is great, my brother continuing his testing of hot dogs in each park we go to, me trying the chicken and biscuit sandwich at the Virginia food stand near our section.  We hung out up in the Red Loft for a bit as well, and that is amazing with such a gorgeous view into the park!

The game itself was fantastic to watch, with some great offense!  It was amazing seeing Roark pitching in person, too.

Overall, it was a great day, and it just reinforced our love of the Nats! 

:clap:

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
"Roark pitching in person"

What a site... you got to see an "ace" on the mound!