Author Topic: Southern Maryland Blue Crabs  (Read 1197 times)

Offline Count Walewski

Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
« Topic Start: August 06, 2016, 01:44:48 PM »
I am going to see this independent team play tonight in Waldorf, MD. I got tickets first row behind home plate for $13 each.

Any recommendations in the park, or the surrounding area?

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
Re: Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
« Reply #1: August 06, 2016, 01:47:11 PM »
I am going to see this independent team play tonight in Waldorf, MD. I got tickets first row behind home plate for $13 each.

Any recommendations in the park, or the surrounding area?

Keep your keys close

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #2: August 06, 2016, 03:19:59 PM »
Bring a hammer and a bib.  And old bay, gotta have old bay.

Online NatNasty

« Reply #3: August 07, 2016, 04:49:11 PM »
Bring a hammer and a bib.  And old bay, gotta have old bay.
A roll or two of paper towels won't hurt either

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #4: August 07, 2016, 05:19:50 PM »
How'd it go?

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #5: August 14, 2016, 01:03:20 AM »
This was definitely a sub-par minor league experience. Not as gimmicky as I would have hoped, and the stadium food left a lot to be desired. The stadium does appear to include a giant water slide and several rides, so I may have enjoyed it a lot more if I was a kid whose parents had arrived 2 hours before first pitch, rather than an immature but physically full-grown adult who got there shortly before first pitch.

Bowie Baysox are definitely still my top minor league experience in the area, though I try the Richmond Squirrels soon and have a lot of hopes for them.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #6: August 14, 2016, 08:33:31 AM »
Well, it's not exactly the Minor Leagues either.

Independent ball can be very different.

His was the game on the field?

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #7: August 14, 2016, 12:07:00 PM »
It was a pitcher's duel. Both the Southern Maryland Blue Crabs and the York Revolution flailed helplessly for 8 innings. Then the York Revolution finally put together a rally in the 8th inning: a guy named Michael Rocket, who had a very nifty crouching batting stance, hit a go-ahead double.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #8: August 14, 2016, 12:33:31 PM »
Yeah, the Blue Crabs are not (not yet, anyways -- the Nats tried this year to buy them) a minor league team.

Bowie is great. I've been to Columbus too, and that was a fun park. Hagerstown was surprisingly fun for me. It was luck that we even ended up there, and there was a game, so I was just overjoyed.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #9: August 14, 2016, 01:06:29 PM »
A guy I know goes to a lot of Suns games.  He says that 'Thirsty Thursday' is usually followed by fuzzy friday. 

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #10: August 14, 2016, 03:37:13 PM »
I only started going to minor league games a few years ago. In this area, I have been to:

- Potomac Nationals
- Bowie Baysox
- Lynchburg Hillcats (Lynchburg, VA)
- Harrisburg Senators
- Southern Maryland Blue Crabs

(I've also seen a few teams not within easy driving distance of DC)

Richmond Flying Squirrels are next for me. I do want to see a Hagerstown Suns game before the end of this current baseball season. I hear the stadium is crummy.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #11: August 14, 2016, 03:38:46 PM »
I only started going to minor league games a few years ago. In this area, I have been to:

- Potomac Nationals
- Bowie Baysox
- Harrisburg Senators

Richmond Flying Squirrels are next for me. I do want to see a Hagerstown Suns game before the end of this current baseball season. I hear the stadium is crummy.

Keeeeeriste, I went to see the Squirrels several years ago (Harrisburg was in town with Harper).   The game was rained out.     The stadium is OK for AA ball.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #12: August 14, 2016, 03:42:52 PM »
The Hagerstown stadium is old and definitely single A. But it's not too bad.

- Potomac Nationals
- Bowie Baysox
- Harrisburg Senators

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #13: August 15, 2016, 12:16:34 AM »
ooooh, tell me the flying squirrels  have a t-shirt....please??

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #14: August 15, 2016, 01:36:18 AM »
ooooh, tell me the flying squirrels  have a t-shirt....please??

They do plus all the other paraphernalia.    I still get e-mails from 'em.

http://flyingsquirrels.milbstore.com/store.cfm?store_id=85   

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #15: August 15, 2016, 07:40:01 AM »
There's something nice about old crappy stadiums - at some point, I want to convince my family that cape cod is a great place to vacation just to see a few summer league games

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #16: August 15, 2016, 09:17:58 AM »
There's something nice about old crappy stadiums - at some point, I want to convince my family that cape cod is a great place to vacation just to see a few summer league games

I tried to get down there. Would've been a lot of fun to catch a couple Cod League games

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #17: August 15, 2016, 09:30:13 AM »

- Potomac Nationals
- Bowie Baysox
- Harrisburg Senators

Richmond's stadium is a throwback to Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium from back when Richmond was AAA for the Barves, who were in the first of their three free stadiums in fifty years.  It's nothing special but it's better than the Pfitz by a lot.  I'd also recommend you add Frederick to your to-do list - decent park, pretty easy to get to, and Carolina League, so decent level plus lots of PNats visits.  Good to see another itinerant MiLB visitor on here. 

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #18: August 15, 2016, 11:20:10 AM »
Hagerstown is a great park, with really good sight lines and a real "back in time" feel.  The fans are super passionate and the beer garden is a great place to hang out and catch a game. It is kind of in the arse end of nowhere, with no public transport and very spotty Uber/taxi service, so for me that's a bit of a negative, because I would rather be able to stay somewhere nearby and enjoy as many beers as I want. 

Harrisburg has a really nice park with a lot of interesting seating options.  They have had some flooding problems this year (not surprising, given the location in the middle of the river), so the outfield is a little chewed up. If you get the LF/RF Bar Stool seats, you can chat with the outfielders (and unlike the CF barstool seats at Camden Yards, you still have a good view of the scoreboard). The Senators seem to really be trying to get people to have a good time there, with lots of little fan interaction games (Dizzy Bat Races are hilarious) but the crowds are still on the smaller side.  The mayflies, well, you gotta see them to  believe them.   Beer is pretty cheap there (especially Troegs and ABC, their two big local brews) and it's easy to get an Uber or walk up the hill, over the bridge, and hit the Hilton.

Bowie has fantastic fireworks but a real nightmare getting out of the parking lot; if you visit, especially on a fireworks night or bobblehead night, park as far from the stadium as you can, so you can avoid as much of the traffic jam.  It's a really nice park but the concessions are poorly run and lines are long for everything except towards the end of the game.  Bring your patience and make sure your kids are well-fed when you get there. It's purely operational inefficiency, too; they have enough room and enough staff.

PNats are PNats :)   I love watching them play and I hate the stadium. Not a hint of shade anywhere.  If you've ever looked at the crisper sleeve that comes with your Hot Pockets and wondered how it would feel to be riding around in the microwave inside one, go to a 5:00pm PNats game when it's above 90* outside and not cloudy, and sit on the bleachers. 

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #19: August 16, 2016, 08:26:17 PM »
The Pnats are much more of a pain getting out of than Bowie!  I went to the 2000 AA All Star Game which was packed !  Got out and on the road in 10 min!  That was parked close to the stadium!  45 min to Bethesda!! I've never had a problem leaving a Bowie Parking lot!

Pnats gets backed up like crazy!  I've had to sit in the car for at least a 1/2 HR before I could move the car!!!

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #20: August 18, 2016, 11:55:07 AM »
Richmond is fine. Just old.

Lynchburg I'm not a huge fan of. Liberty (the college) stadium is much nicer than the Hillcats field.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #21: August 22, 2016, 01:44:58 AM »
Richmond was a great experience. The stadium, a concrete cookie-cutter that kind of reminds me of the previous Busch Stadium, is definitely old, but the Flying Squirrels know how to put on a funn time.