Author Topic: Is Difo a stud???  (Read 2173 times)

Offline whytev

Is Difo a stud???
« Topic Start: August 03, 2016, 02:05:06 AM »
Lots of hitting and that early stop on the double play was money.

Is this guy the real deal?

Offline Truconfidence

Re: Is Difo a stud???
« Reply #1: August 03, 2016, 03:23:44 AM »

I think the problem is where would he play on this team in the future. I do think he and Bostick do make the perfect bench players for a top flight team.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #2: August 03, 2016, 06:24:27 AM »

I don't know, but I'd like to see more.

I think the problem is where would he play on this team in the future. I do think he and Bostick do make the perfect bench players for a top flight team.
There is plenty of places to play him on this team. Now and in the future.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #3: August 03, 2016, 08:06:24 AM »
He has developed so much from this time last year. If he continues to develop, he's going to open up so many options for the Nats of the future. He has really good speed and great reflexes.

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #4: August 03, 2016, 08:11:43 AM »
I don't know, but I'd like to see more.
There is plenty of places to play him on this team. Now and in the future.
If Turner stays in CF yes but he is basically a utility infielder in this organization. I have seen Bostick play a bit and he is the perfect NL bench player because he can play the outfield and infield.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #5: August 03, 2016, 08:12:57 AM »
He's the second best Wilmer in the division until he proves otherwise. A good game against the Diamondbacks is not proof.

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #6: August 03, 2016, 08:14:13 AM »
He's the second best Wilmer in the division until he proves otherwise. A good game against the Diamondbacks is not proof.
2 games!

Offline Ray D

« Reply #7: August 03, 2016, 08:32:57 AM »
I think the problem is where would he play
Second base. Murphy at first, Turner in center.

Look, if the theory is that Zimmerman only needs rest and then he'll be fine, let him rest.  Or, if Zimmerman's done, stop the charade.  Either case he shouldn't be playing..

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #8: August 03, 2016, 08:45:31 AM »

His bat has not produced in the minors this year but past few days I'm remembering why some of us wondered if he was Nats second baseman of the future last year. He was South Atlantic League MVP back in 2014.

He's only 23. He'll be around for a while. I really think the organization places a ton of value on him and wants him to succeed or they wouldn't keep calling him up. He is solid at both middle infield spots and he's a plus base runner who will steal bases. If he can show the ability to hit for some average he'll stick around for his other tools.

Trea Turner in CF should be the siren call for Difo. I think the Nats would be absolutely thrilled if Difo impressed in this call up then went back to the minors and showed consistency. With Turner holding his own in CF, Difo has the ability right now to establish himself as the first SS/2B off the bench and force Turner out in CF first time (or at least until Murphy moves to 1B in a year or two). How awesome would it be in 2018 or 2019 to have those two as a double play combination combining for 80 stolen bases?

I need to see see a lot more of Difo before I consider him a long term piece but I'm excited to see him showing a flash.

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #9: August 03, 2016, 09:39:10 AM »
I think he's doing a great job playing his way into a waiver trade deal for a reliever.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #10: August 03, 2016, 09:52:49 AM »

He has 10 at-bats this year in the majors.  Ten.  He was hitting .255/.320/.343 (.663) in AA and he is 24.  He's hit better over the past month or so after a bad start, but you'd expect more than that for a guy to have a reasonable chance of being an MLB regular.  He's also been caught stealing 11 times in AA this year, which is unusual given his history.  It's good that Baker is giving him a decent amount of game time, though: it's unfair to give a guy three at bats per week and expect him to hit. 

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #11: August 03, 2016, 09:53:05 AM »
I've seen some posters say he can't play SS. What is that based on? Seems like he will be a good utility guy if not flipped for someone.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #12: August 03, 2016, 09:56:09 AM »
I've seen some posters say he can't play SS. What is that based on? Seems like he will be a good utility guy if not flipped for someone.
I've read his arm strength profiles as a good second baseman, passable shortstop. A lot like Turner in that regard.

Online Slateman

« Reply #13: August 03, 2016, 09:58:11 AM »
I think he's doing a great job playing his way into a waiver trade deal for a reliever.
There's no way he gets through the waiver wire

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #14: August 03, 2016, 09:58:32 AM »
I've read his arm strength profiles as a good second baseman, passable shortstop. A lot like Turner in that regard.
Thanks. Saw him play at Potomac a couple times last year but couldn't remember anything remarkable one way or another re: his defense.

Offline sph274

« Reply #15: August 03, 2016, 10:00:02 AM »
a team needs utility infielders. it would be great if we had a controllable, backup utility guy. stephen drew isnt gonna be here forever

Online Slateman

« Reply #16: August 03, 2016, 10:03:06 AM »
a team needs utility infielders. it would be great if we had a controllable, backup utility guy. stephen drew isnt gonna be here forever
Particularly one that can run well.

I think this is just us being optimistic. But if he could turn in to a .260/.320/.380 hitter with some stolen bases and decent defense at second, we could move Turner to CF and keep Espionosa at SS, moving Murphy to 1st base.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #17: August 03, 2016, 10:08:21 AM »
Particularly one that can run well.

I think this is just us being optimistic. But if he could turn in to a .260/.320/.380 hitter with some stolen bases and decent defense at second, we could move Turner to CF and keep Espionosa at SS, moving Murphy to 1st base.
I think that could happen some next season but they'll probably still be giving Zimmerman at bats. If they were to ever lineup with Espi/Difo in middle and Turner in CF this season with Rendon/Murph in the corners, and Harper in RF then even with Werth in LF I think that's the fastest lineup in the majors. Werth and Murphy are your slow guys but they move well for a LF and 1B.

Online Slateman

« Reply #18: August 03, 2016, 10:09:42 AM »
I think that could happen some next season but they'll probably still be giving Zimmerman at bats. If they were to ever lineup with Espi/Difo in middle and Turner in CF this season with Rendon/Murph in the corners, and Harper in RF then even with Werth in LF I think that's the fastest lineup in the majors. Werth and Murphy are your slow guys but they move well for a LF and 1B.

Give Werth the day off and play Revere in LF :stir:

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #19: August 03, 2016, 10:11:48 AM »
Then that is the fastest damn lineup out there. Won't get on base much but if they do watch out!

Online Slateman

« Reply #20: August 03, 2016, 10:18:20 AM »
Then that is the fastest damn lineup out there. Won't get on base much but if they do watch out!

Don't want guys clogging up the bases

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #21: August 03, 2016, 10:20:35 AM »
Don't want guys clogging up the bases
Valid.

I do like idea of Difo and Turner on the bases with Tony Two Bags up to bat.

Offline whytev

« Reply #22: August 03, 2016, 10:22:29 AM »

Revere is a strong non-tender case at this point.

Online DPMOmaha

« Reply #23: August 03, 2016, 10:39:36 AM »
Valid.

I do like idea of Difo and Turner on the bases with Tony Two Bags up to bat.
My fantasy team likes that, too.

Offline Optics

« Reply #24: August 03, 2016, 11:50:26 AM »
I like Difo a lot. A Turner/Difo 2B/SS combo of the future could be fun to watch(move Murph to 1B).