Author Topic: Soccer 2016/17  (Read 12268 times)

Offline awbb

Re: Soccer 2016/17
« Reply #300: May 12, 2017, 05:01:13 AM »
How do the fans like the promotion/relegation system of the English leagues?  I've often thought American sports could benefit from promotion/relegation.  It would put a lot of pressure on owners.

We love it when we get promoted. We hate it when we get relegated!

It's a fact of life in football. As time goes on, the money in the EPL makes it harder and harder for promoted clubs to compete. It does happen, of course, but generally, for clubs like Bournemouth, Swansea even West Brom, Leicester and Stoke, at some point the reaper will come calling for them and they will be relegated.

Some money trickles down the pyramid, in the form of "Solidarity Payments" but they amount to a fraction of a percent of the TV revenue the clubs in the EPL enjoy. Also, dare to criticise the imbalance, as the Accrington Stanley Chairman did this week over the agent of Paul Pogba allegedly receiving over £40 Million on Pogba's transfer to Man Utd, then the EPL will write to you and ask you if you want the money or not!

Is there a tier of sports clubs that could easily replace a Major franchise in any of the sports? It would certainly stop tanking for high draft picks! But on the whole, I think the Leagues do a really good job of keeping "closed shops" relevant and exciting... Except the NBA. But that's my opinion!