Author Topic: Is Joe Ross dead?  (Read 9529 times)

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Re: Is Joe Ross dead?
« Reply #25: August 18, 2016, 09:55:55 AM »
So I think we're all but guaranteed he has an inning limit again next season.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #26: August 18, 2016, 10:06:56 AM »
So I think we're all but guaranteed he has an inning limit again next season.

Too far out to think about right now, but probably. 140-180 IP max

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #27: August 18, 2016, 10:15:06 AM »
Too far out to think about right now, but probably. 140-180 IP max
I want to see Voth before season is over. He'll probably never be a front of the rotation pitcher but even if he was a Lannan type we could ask to eat innings while not being terrible that would be really helpful next season. Joe Ross will be on an innings count, Giolito and Lopez probably will not be ready to be 30 game starters, and injuries do happen. It isn't hard to go out and find an innings eater in free agency but I'd like to find someone in house.

Offline rbw5t

« Reply #28: August 18, 2016, 10:19:51 AM »
I want to see Voth before season is over. He'll probably never be a front of the rotation pitcher but even if he was a Lannan type we could ask to eat innings while not being terrible that would be really helpful next season. Joe Ross will be on an innings count, Giolito and Lopez probably will not be ready to be 30 game starters, and injuries do happen. It isn't hard to go out and find an innings eater in free agency but I'd like to find someone in house.

We need an innings eater right now!  Bring him up and go 6 men once or twice through?  I guess realistically we can't carry a 6th starter bc we'd have to have a short bench or bullpen and that's no good either.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #29: August 18, 2016, 10:22:15 AM »

Just no room on the 40-man right now. I guess Rafael Martin could get DFA'd, but they'll probably use him to eat innings in Sept. Matt Grace is pitching okay in AAA or he'd be a DFA candidate. Taylor Cole -- I highly doubt it, but you never know.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #30: August 18, 2016, 10:27:58 AM »
MiLB season ends in 2 1/2 weeks or so... Would have to be soon, especially if they want him to do 2-3 starts again.
They can go with a simulated game then get him a rehab start.

I still say we gotta have this guy in the pen and just throw Max, Stras, and Roark.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #31: August 18, 2016, 10:31:13 AM »
They can go with a simulated game then get him a rehab start.

I still say we gotta have this guy in the pen and just throw Max, Stras, and Roark.

I'm for it now. Sept can have a gaggle of guys pitching 5th. Have Ross pitch out the BP 4/5 times in AAA then bring him back when rosters expand too.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #32: August 18, 2016, 10:32:33 AM »
I'm for it now. Sept can have a gaggle of guys pitching 5th. Have Ross pitch out the BP 4/5 times in AAA then bring him back when rosters expand too.
Agree. Once the 40 man roster is activated, we should have a bunch of guys able to pitch. Starters like Gio and Ross can got 5 innings at most and leave the pen guys to mop up.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #33: August 22, 2016, 02:03:16 PM »
So, Joe, want to come back soon?

Offline Slateman

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #35: August 22, 2016, 02:24:57 PM »
http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/nationals-joe-ross-still-not-ready-for-mound-work/

Not ready for the mound.

Might not pitch again this season. Hard to believe he's still that far off.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #36: August 22, 2016, 02:33:38 PM »
Might not pitch again this season. Hard to believe he's still that far off.
Not good news.

How many more innings can Lopez pitch before they shut him down?

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #37: August 22, 2016, 02:34:54 PM »
Not good news.

I'd be surprised if they let him pitch over 140 innings (he's at 125 now)

Offline Slateman

« Reply #38: August 22, 2016, 02:34:57 PM »
Not good news.

He's at 125 now. So maybe two more starts.

To be honest, it doesn't matter because the division is ours. Once we get through August, the rosters expand and we can call up a Latos or Voth to eat some innings.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #39: August 22, 2016, 02:36:00 PM »
He's at 125 now. So maybe two more starts.

To be honest, it doesn't matter because the division is ours. Once we get through August, the rosters expand and we can call up a Latos or Voth to eat some innings.
I'd like to see him in the bullpen for the playoffs.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #40: August 22, 2016, 02:37:46 PM »
I'd like to see him in the bullpen for the playoffs.

I don't think they're going to shut him down, just to try and start him back up in late September. And I really don't want to see him in the pen for the playoffs. Not enough consistency.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #41: August 22, 2016, 03:54:00 PM »
Joe Ross is looking more and more like an improved Craig Stammen. Send him to the pen.

Offline bk1998

« Reply #42: August 22, 2016, 04:00:56 PM »
#RIPJoe

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #43: August 22, 2016, 04:02:01 PM »
I don't think they're going to shut him down, just to try and start him back up in late September. And I really don't want to see him in the pen for the playoffs. Not enough consistency.
I can't recall if he ever gave up many runs in the first couple of innings on any of his starts this year

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #44: August 22, 2016, 04:07:29 PM »
Joe Ross is looking more and more like an improved Craig Stammen. Send him to the pen.

How so?  Stammen was a terrible starter and a good reliever who made his MLB debut at 25 and blew out his elbow at 31.  Ross is only 23 now, has been good as a starter and has a shoulder injury.  I know he only has 2 pitches, but the results have been there.

Offline HattoriHanzo

• expos/Nats fan since 1980
« Reply #45: August 22, 2016, 05:18:41 PM »
I can't recall if he ever gave up many runs in the first couple of innings on any of his starts this year

Most of his bad outings were in the sixth inning. The team should have limited him to 5 or 6 innings. At the end, I think he went 7 a few times then started all of this pain. It's good that he wants to compete and go a solid seven every time out, but he has never had a history of being a workhorse and the team should have brought him along slower and built up his innings and pitch count numbers slower.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #46: August 22, 2016, 09:10:57 PM »
Yeah Mon, he's dead

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #47: August 23, 2016, 08:33:37 AM »
Is there a Latos in our future? He lost last night 2-1 and that run was unearned. 6 IP.6 hits 3BB 3 K's 0.82 ERA

Offline Slateman

« Reply #48: August 23, 2016, 08:41:24 AM »
I could see Latos being brought up in September to get us through the month. Would allow Ross time to be converted to the pen.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #49: August 23, 2016, 09:08:26 AM »
How so?  Stammen was a terrible starter and a good reliever who made his MLB debut at 25 and blew out his elbow at 31.  Ross is only 23 now, has been good as a starter and has a shoulder injury.  I know he only has 2 pitches, but the results have been there.
If memory serves Stamen was always pretty rock solid first time through the order then the wheels came off. Ross is always solid early and now there are questions about his durability.

If he could be converted and perform like a Tyler Clippard or Craig Stammen in the pen that provides huge value.