Author Topic: TINSTAAPP (there is no such thing as a pitching prospect)  (Read 1083 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
HULTZEN’S CAREER APPEARS OVER

The star-crossed career of left-hander Danny Hultzen, the second overall pick in the 2011 draft, appears to be over after another setback in his latest comeback effort.

An official announcement should come in the near future, but club officials privately acknowledge Hultzen won’t pitch again this year and is likely to pursue other career options.

Hultzen experienced renewed shoulder problems after two one-inning outings late month in the Arizona Rookie League. He hasn’t pitched regularly since he first experienced shoulder problems early in the 2013 season at Triple-A Tacoma.

Prior to his injury, Hultzen appeared to be on a fast track to the majors. He was 14-8 with a 2.82 ERA in 32 games prior to undergoing surgery on Oct. 1, 2013 to repair his labrum, shoulder capsule and rotator cuff.

The Mariners have already expressed interest in finding a job for Hultzen within the organization.

Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/mlb/seattle-mariners/mariners-insider-blog/article91351082.html#storylink=cpy
Wasn't he UVA?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Champs!
Re: TINSTAAPP
« Reply #1: July 23, 2016, 12:01:12 PM »
Yes he was.

What's with the title?

Offline NJ Ave

Re: TINSTAAPP
« Reply #2: July 23, 2016, 12:38:36 PM »
There is no such thing as a pitching prospect. Should be a long and depressing thread :)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
I'm trying to think of some of the least fortunate top 5 draft picks of pitchers.

Dylan Bundy (#4) got a win in his second start yesterday, so I guess that is a reprieve for now.  I suppose Matt Bush (#1) now looks like a viable reliever.  Anyone remember Dewon Brazleton (#3)?  Luke Hochevar (#1) is a decent reliever.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
Mark Appel is probably going to have TJS. Astros moved him at the right time.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Yes he was.

What's with the title?

Thanks.   I was wondering the same thing but thought it was an "inside" baseball acronym.    That would make it among the many I don't get.   :old:

Offline Natsinpwc

Mark Appel is probably going to have TJS. Astros moved him at the right time.
Don't you think the Astros wish they had Vince Velasquez in their rotation?  I think originally the Phillies wanted something else which is funny cause he turned into the centerpiece. They also got Oberholtzer and a couple of minor leaguers. All for Giles who has not pitched well this year.

Offline Natsinpwc

Thanks.   I was wondering the same thing but thought it was an "inside" baseball acronym.    That would make it among the many I don't get.   :old:
I thought it was some super secret government agency and all the messages were coded. Probably run through Hillary's file server.

Offline whytev

It's also worth pointing out that the last good player drafted in the first round by the Mariners was Matt Thornton.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
Don't you think the Astros wish they had Vince Velasquez in their rotation?  I think originally the Phillies wanted something else which is funny cause he turned into the centerpiece. They also got Oberholtzer and a couple of minor leaguers. All for Giles who has not pitched well this year.

No doubt. Appel was the top prospect though. TINSTAAPP

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
TINSTAAP is something to think about whenever there's discussion about trading some guy who is burning up Auburn or the Sally League.  A lot can go wrong on the way to the majors.

Offline mitlen

One line thread title max.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
One line thread title max.
Max? Scherzer's got nothing to do with this.

Offline mitlen

Max? Scherzer's got nothing to do with this.

I was thinkin' Coladar.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

I'm trying to think of some of the least fortunate top 5 draft picks of pitchers.

Dylan Bundy (#4) got a win in his second start yesterday, so I guess that is a reprieve for now.  I suppose Matt Bush (#1) now looks like a viable reliever.  Anyone remember Dewon Brazleton (#3)?  Luke Hochevar (#1) is a decent reliever.

Yeah, I remember Brazelton.  Tampa Bay righty from back before they were at all competent as an organization, made it to the majors way too fast, wasn't any good at all.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
TINSTAAP is something to think about whenever there's discussion about trading some guy who is burning up Auburn or the Sally League.  A lot can go wrong on the way to the majors.

No doubt, but our pitching prospects, for the most part, are already on the cusp/getting ML time. The next guy will be Luzardo, and we'll have to see what he even does after TJS. Most of the other SPs in the system are just 'guys'.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.

Offline welch

...and has always been that way.

When Jordan Zim pitched his no-hitter, the Post mentioned that the last pitcher to throw a no-hitter for a Washington ball-club was a young guy named Bobby Burke. Threw a no-hitter about 1931, when he was 24. Manager Walter Johnson praised Burke's "stuff", and the team kept hoping he would become an ace. Later, Bucky Harris called Burke, "The kid that had an eleven year tryout".

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/burkebo01.shtml

Offline imref

• 1B: The New Hot Corner
Strasburg worked out OK.  :couch:  Storen gave us some decent years.

Then again, there's Josh Smoker and Ross Detwiler's plaques in the 'Washington Nationals Draft Bust HoF' (update: Colten Willems and Matt Purke too though we knew Purke was risky)

Too soon to judge Fedde and Giolito.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
Strasburg worked out OK.  :couch:  Storen gave us some decent years.

Then again, there's Josh Smoker and Ross Detwiler's plaques in the 'Washington Nationals Draft Bust HoF' (update: Colten Willems and Matt Purke too though we knew Purke was risky)

Too soon to judge Fedde and Giolito.

Jake Johansen. Terrible pick. Was then and is now.