Author Topic: The Theater  (Read 1776 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
The Theater
« Topic Start: July 18, 2016, 11:25:32 PM »
It's time to get cultural!

Saw Phantom of the Opera at the Kennedy Center this weekend.  I had last seen it about 25 years ago.  I can't recommend the show enough, it was the perfect combination of story, visuals, and music. 

Online Natsinpwc

Re: The Theater
« Reply #1: July 19, 2016, 07:23:44 AM »
It's time to get cultural!

Saw Phantom of the Opera at the Kennedy Center this weekend.  I had last seen it about 25 years ago.  I can't recommend the show enough, it was the perfect combination of story, visuals, and music.
I saw it before there also. Don't recall the year but was great.  Sounds like another excellent production this year.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #2: July 19, 2016, 07:35:15 AM »
The last show I went to was Waiting for Godot with Sir Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen.  It was amazing.

Online imref

« Reply #3: July 19, 2016, 10:28:00 AM »
I'm hoping to hit a show at the Keegan Theater near Dupont Circle at some point.  We had tickets in the winter to Picasso at the Lapin Agile, a play by Steve Martin that is based on a fictional meeting between Albert Einstein and Pablo Picasso at a bar.  I saw it years ago at Fords Theater and can't ever recall laughing at anything more than i laughed at that play.  Unfortunately the blizzard closed the theater for the weekend we were ticketed to attend.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #4: July 20, 2016, 03:02:27 PM »
The last show I went to was this musical called "Hamilton"...

(I started out skeptical that it would live up to the hype; after about four songs, I was really enjoying it, by halftime I loved it, and by the end I was coming around to the idea that it's one of the Great Musicals. The hype machine still weirds me out - other great musicals have existed before! - but for musical importance and adding a jet of energy to Broadway, it's a pretty big historical deal. Not to mention being a damn good time.)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #5: July 20, 2016, 04:00:25 PM »

Online imref

« Reply #6: July 20, 2016, 04:14:38 PM »
The last show I went to was this musical called "Hamilton"...

(I started out skeptical that it would live up to the hype; after about four songs, I was really enjoying it, by halftime I loved it, and by the end I was coming around to the idea that it's one of the Great Musicals. The hype machine still weirds me out - other great musicals have existed before! - but for musical importance and adding a jet of energy to Broadway, it's a pretty big historical deal. Not to mention being a damn good time.)

how did you get tickets?

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #7: July 20, 2016, 04:25:49 PM »
how did you get tickets?
We booked them in September 2015 for a February 2016 showing. We were only able to get tickets on a Wednesday night, so my friend and I flew up from Dallas to NYC the morning of and took 3 days off work. On Thursday, we saw a live taping of Colbert and went to a super fancy restaurant; on Friday we went to Greenwich Village jazz clubs. It was my first ever visit to NYC.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #8: July 20, 2016, 05:38:30 PM »
I'm looking for recommendations for this upcoming season. Theater kind of replaces baseball for me in the off season when it comes to entertainment.

I'm usually a big fan of Arena Stage but this upcoming season doesn't grab me. They usually do political/cultural dramas and such and I kind of like that kind of stuff. Love Shakespeare but kind of burned out on because last year we went to like 4 plays at WSC. Maybe we'll go back to alernative theater like Woolly Mammoth, Source, Signature, etc., or maybe even smaller theaters. TBH, sometimes I find small theaters the most engaging.

And, btw, going to NYC in a couple of weeks with son and seeing "Something Rotten," a Shakespeare satire. Mixed reviews but the son picked it.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #9: July 20, 2016, 05:57:12 PM »
I'm looking for recommendations for this upcoming season. Theater kind of replaces baseball for me in the off season when it comes to entertainment.

I'm usually a big fan of Arena Stage but this upcoming season doesn't grab me. They usually do political/cultural dramas and such and I kind of like that kind of stuff. Love Shakespeare but kind of burned out on because last year we went to like 4 plays at WSC. Maybe we'll go back to alernative theater like Woolly Mammoth, Source, Signature, etc., or maybe even smaller theaters. TBH, sometimes I find small theaters the most engaging.

And, btw, going to NYC in a couple of weeks with son and seeing "Something Rotten," a Shakespeare satire. Mixed reviews but the son picked it.
Saw Les Miserables a few years ago at Signature theatre. Fun to see a play in a small place like that.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #10: July 20, 2016, 07:07:12 PM »
One of the best "shows" I ever saw was a performing arts high school's production of "My Fair Lady".   It was outstanding.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #11: July 21, 2016, 09:05:08 AM »

Studio is the best place for the type of material you're looking for.

Online imref

« Reply #12: July 21, 2016, 05:54:05 PM »
Mack Beth sounds interesting - http://keegantheatre.com/2016-2017-season-marks-20-years-of-the-keegan-theatre-2/

George Mason University's Fairfax theater usually has a great annual program.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #13: July 21, 2016, 06:01:40 PM »
Mack Beth sounds interesting - http://keegantheatre.com/2016-2017-season-marks-20-years-of-the-keegan-theatre-2/

George Mason University's Fairfax theater usually has a great annual program.

:clap:      There are great local production companies and schools.

Online imref

« Reply #14: July 21, 2016, 10:11:07 PM »
GMU Center for the Arts Schedule: http://cfa.gmu.edu/preview/

Offline wj73

« Reply #15: July 27, 2016, 12:43:27 PM »
Caught Second City in the KenCen Theatre Lab (where Shear Madness used to run) on Sunday.  Lots of fun with current politics and DC icons.  One weirdly surreal sketch involved Lincoln using a time machine to talk with President Obama in 2008, President Trump in 2016, and President Kanye West in 2024 (whose VP was Pitbull).  :shock:  Another sketch involved the Lincoln, Jefferson, Washington, and MLK Memorials coming to life in the late night hours and conversing - let's just say that ol' George really embraced his monument, and Jefferson envied Lincoln because Lincoln got to sit down.  There was also some amazing improv based on audience suggestions. It was light and fun as cotton candy, and a great way to spend a few hours on a hot Sunday afternoon.   

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #16: July 28, 2016, 08:26:49 PM »
Studio is the best place for the type of material you're looking for.

Have not been to Source in ages but I think you've just convinced me to go back.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #17: July 30, 2016, 07:03:04 PM »
My buddy's theatre company.  He's been doing these Shakes-beer events for over a year now.  They're freaking awesome.

https://www.facebook.com/events/151791948579291/

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #18: July 31, 2016, 01:53:48 PM »
My buddy's theatre company.  He's been doing these Shakes-beer events for over a year now.  They're freaking awesome.

https://www.facebook.com/events/151791948579291/

Sounds like a blast. Tell him to take it on tour and bring it to DC!

Online imref

« Reply #19: November 01, 2016, 11:31:42 AM »
Hamilton is coming to the Kennedy Center for 14 weeks starting in June of 2018.  However, the only way to guarantee a ticket is to be a subscription member for both the 16-17 and 17-18 season.  It's going to be the touring production that kicks off in San Francisco next year.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #20: November 01, 2016, 01:10:42 PM »
Hamilton is coming to the Kennedy Center for 14 weeks starting in June of 2018.  However, the only way to guarantee a ticket is to be a subscription member for both the 16-17 and 17-18 season.  It's going to be the touring production that kicks off in San Francisco next year.

ah you guys are lucky, no clue when it'll come anywhere close to where I live :(

Offline mitlen

« Reply #21: November 01, 2016, 01:13:48 PM »
ah you guys are lucky, no clue when it'll come anywhere close to where I live :(

I feel like such a bad person.    I have no desire to see Hamilton.   You can't recreate what we had in '76.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #22: November 01, 2016, 01:14:53 PM »
I feel like such a bad person.    I have no desire to see Hamilton.   You can't recreate what we had in '76.

You mean 1776?? :lol:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #23: November 01, 2016, 01:15:23 PM »
You mean 1776?? :lol:

But of course   ...   :old:

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #24: November 01, 2016, 01:26:46 PM »
But of course   ...   :old:

:lmao:
but you didn't have Lin Manuel-Miranda back then ;)