Author Topic: Home remedies  (Read 1596 times)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: Home remedies
« Reply #25: July 25, 2016, 12:45:15 AM »
A possible remedy for health care inflation.  Hottie dermatologists, beware.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #26: July 25, 2016, 12:39:15 PM »
 :shock:

smell like a salad huh?

well the doc already tried to finger your bottom, maybe you can get him to toss it too

:rimshot:

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #27: July 25, 2016, 08:17:55 PM »
We all have our medical degrees but this is for "home remedies" to every day maladies.    I've had "swimmer's ear" during the summer for the last several years.   It goes away after the summer pool season ends.     I've tried everything short of goin' to the doctor, which is against my nature.    I've tried the drops, etc.   Anybody know a home remedy for this?

Swimmer's ear hurts like no one's business considering it's an ear infection. If that's truly what you have, you'll go to the ER for sure. Takes antibiotics and eardrops to clear up. Your ear drum can rupture. I've heard of using alcohol to help evaporate water in the ear.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #28: July 25, 2016, 08:22:50 PM »
Swimmer's ear hurts like no one's business considering it's an ear infection. If that's truly what you have, you'll go to the ER for sure. Takes antibiotics and eardrops to clear up. Your ear drum can rupture. I've heard of using alcohol to help evaporate water in the ear.

I'm startin' to lean to the wax buildup diagnosis.    I get occasional pain and itching but the "clog" is primarily impairing my already impaired hearing.    :)

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #29: July 25, 2016, 08:48:06 PM »
I'm startin' to lean to the wax buildup diagnosis.    I get occasional pain and itching but the "clog" is primarily impairing my already impaired hearing.    :)
Huh?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #30: July 25, 2016, 09:15:57 PM »

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #31: July 25, 2016, 10:08:22 PM »

You can buy home cleaning kits but the doctors office is the best place to get it done. You'll be amazed at what comes out :lol:

Offline NatNasty

« Reply #32: July 25, 2016, 10:18:49 PM »
Week 2   ...  so far I've tried OTC ear drops and hydrogen peroxide.     Today, I bought some rubbing alcohol.    50% white vinegar and 50% rubbing alcohol.     Poured on a cotton swab and have the swab in my ear.     Film at 11.

BTW    I smell like a salad.    :)
If that doesn't work try baby oil.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #33: July 25, 2016, 10:33:38 PM »
You can buy home cleaning kits but the doctors office is the best place to get it done. You'll be amazed at what comes out :lol:

Same thing happened 5 or 6 years ago.    I was amazed.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #34: July 25, 2016, 10:40:58 PM »
You'll probably smell better too. Your wife might find you marginally more attractive (less repulsive? I never get that exactly right).

Same thing happened 5 or 6 years ago.    I was amazed.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #35: July 25, 2016, 10:42:57 PM »
You'll probably smell better too. Your wife might find you marginally more attractive (less repulsive? I never get that exactly right).

I think she likes me more when I can't hear her.    I know she tosses some zingers in there every once in awhile.    All I got is, "huh?"

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #36: July 26, 2016, 09:55:34 AM »
Don't freak around putting things into your ears (fluid or otherwise).  If you get an infection or irritation in there it's going to be around for a long, long time.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #37: July 26, 2016, 10:32:09 AM »
Don't freak around putting things into your ears (fluid or otherwise).  If you get an infection or irritation in there it's going to be around for a long, long time.

Thanks MDS.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #38: July 26, 2016, 03:28:00 PM »
But if you do, go hard. Lighter fluid, for instance.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #39: July 26, 2016, 03:58:25 PM »
Why try a home remedy - why not just go see the Dr ?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #40: July 26, 2016, 03:59:21 PM »
Why try a home remedy - why not just go see the Dr ?

Doctor is always the last option.   Pops used to say, "feet first on a gurney".

Offline mitlen

« Reply #41: August 20, 2016, 03:27:29 PM »
So, I'm at the pool two weeks or so ago.    One of my neighbors is a nurse.    She said, "See if you can find liquid Colace.    It's a stool softener".   Huh?    So I checked the drugstores, etc. and the pharmacists said they didn't know what liquid Colace is.   I told 'em I wanted to use it to clean out the wax in my ear.    To a person they said, "It's not for earwax."    Whatever.   :)     I looked at a box of Colace capsules and the box indicated the active ingredient is docusate sodium.     I found a children's liquid stool softener with the docusate sodium.    Took it home and found the bottle had been tampered with.   I took it back to the store and told the manager.    They offered a refund but I refused.   Told 'em I didn't want them to think I was BS'ing them to get my money back.    I went to the internet to see if there was a liquid form of this concoction.    There was on Amazon  ...  Dioctyl Liquid.    I read the reviews and folks raved about how this stool softener cleared up their wax problem.    I guess the ingredient that softens stool has the same effect on ear wax   ...   loosen's the fatty acids and such.     Got my bottle from Amazon on Thursday evening.    I put about 1/2 ML into my ear using a dropper and laid on my side for 15 or 20 minutes.   Got up and irrigated the ear.   Some chunks of wax came out but I still didn't have good hearing.    Today, I did another 1/2 ML and laid on the floor for 1/2 hour.    Irrigated the ear.   More waxy pieces came out.     Tilted my head so I could let the water run out and  ...   Ta Da!      I can hear out of the ear that was blocked for a month.    Freakin' amazing !!!

That's my story and I'm stickin' with it.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #42: August 20, 2016, 04:53:51 PM »
Huh? 

So, I'm at the pool two weeks or so ago.    One of my neighbors is a nurse.    She said, "See if you can find liquid Colace.    It's a stool softener".   Huh?    So I checked the drugstores, etc. and the pharmacists said they didn't know what liquid Colace is.   I told 'em I wanted to use it to clean out the wax in my ear.    To a person they said, "It's not for earwax."    Whatever.   :)     I looked at a box of Colace capsules and the box indicated the active ingredient is docusate sodium.     I found a children's liquid stool softener with the docusate sodium.    Took it home and found the bottle had been tampered with.   I took it back to the store and told the manager.    They offered a refund but I refused.   Told 'em I didn't want them to think I was BS'ing them to get my money back.    I went to the internet to see if there was a liquid form of this concoction.    There was on Amazon  ...  Dioctyl Liquid.    I read the reviews and folks raved about how this stool softener cleared up their wax problem.    I guess the ingredient that softens stool has the same effect on ear wax   ...   loosen's the fatty acids and such.     Got my bottle from Amazon on Thursday evening.    I put about 1/2 ML into my ear using a dropper and laid on my side for 15 or 20 minutes.   Got up and irrigated the ear.   Some chunks of wax came out but I still didn't have good hearing.    Today, I did another 1/2 ML and laid on the floor for 1/2 hour.    Irrigated the ear.   More waxy pieces came out.     Tilted my head so I could let the water run out and  ...   Ta Da!      I can hear out of the ear that was blocked for a month.    Freakin' amazing !!!

That's my story and I'm stickin' with it.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #43: August 20, 2016, 04:56:20 PM »
Huh? 

I should never have told the missus.

Offline NatNasty

« Reply #44: August 20, 2016, 09:49:29 PM »
I should never have told the missus.
My wife sometimes thinks I'm going deaf.  Not so, sometimes I just channel my inner Chief Bromden.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #45: August 20, 2016, 09:52:35 PM »
My wife sometimes thinks I'm going deaf.  Not so, sometimes I just channel my inner Chief Bromden.

Missus tells me I have selective hearing.