Author Topic: Tanner Roark Appreciation Thread (2016 version)  (Read 6783 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
AFC champs, 2002 I think. That may seem like a long time but it's about 11 years more recent than the Redskins.
Lost to TB after Gruden replaced Dungy?  Gruden knew all the audibles because the Raiders forgot to change them?

Offline DPMOmaha

Lost to TB after Gruden replaced Dungy?  Gruden knew all the audibles because the Raiders forgot to change them?
Which was the beginning of the end for Bill Callahan, who was fired the next year and became the Nebraska head coach.

I don't want to talk about it.

Offline Ray D

Callahan's doing a darned good job with the Redskins line.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Callahan's doing a darned good job with the Redskins line.

The same line that couldn't manage more than 3.5 yards a carry last season?

Offline NatsAllThe Way

Are we still talking about Roark here guys, 'cause I think you're losing me.

Online Slateman

Are we still talking about Roark here guys, 'cause I think you're losing me.

Took care of that already. See below:

All those stats mean nothing anyways.  How many wins does he have?  The oldest and still only meaningful stat.

20 or more wins = amazing pitcher
15-20 wins = Very very good pitcher
10-15 wins = pretty good pitcher
0-9 wins = disastrous dumpster fire pitcher (unless he's a closer)
Any other pitcher than that = useless, easily replaceable garbage

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
For the 1st half of 2016, Roark is 8W 5L with a 3.01 ERA

Offline Ray D

Haven't you heard? Running is passe'.  The line is for pass blocking.

Online Slateman

Haven't you heard? Running is passe'.  The line is for pass blocking.
So we're good as long as Kirk Cousins throws the ball in under 2.3 seconds like he did last year. Glad we spent all that money on big time receivers who need time to run long routes or find holes in zones.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

So we're good as long as Kirk Cousins throws the ball in under 2.3 seconds like he did last year. Glad we spent all that money on big time receivers who need time to run long routes or find holes in zones.

Yeah but how many WINS?

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
Yeah but how many WINS?

Not enough. Not a winner

Offline NatsAllThe Way

Took care of that already. See below:

LOL

Offline monkeyhit

Love Dusty, who knows players: about Roark last night:

"He's hungry. He's like a warrior," Baker said. "He doesn't run from anybody. He's like the epitome of a competitor. He wanted this spot and he got it, and he doesn't plan on giving it up because he already had it once and he won 15. And then he had to take a back seat. Now he's got another chance. How many guys get a second chance with the same organization?
"If you want to tackle this guy, you better bring a lunch, dinner, and some snacks."

Offline Optics

He's a #1 on a lot of teams and at worst a #2 on a contender.

Offline MorseTheHorse

Sending him to the pen last year was such a terrible decision, and not just in retrospect. 

Online Natsinpwc

Sending him to the pen last year was such a terrible decision, and not just in retrospect.
I don't know if it was terrible. They likely would not have won the division anyway and he has pitched so well this year there seems to be no ill effect. If anything you could say it may have motivated him. Maybe down the line he will leave via free agency in spite.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
He's a #1 on a lot of teams and at worst a #2 on a contender.
In the midst of a poopoo on Roark session on the trade thread, I posted the following;

Tanner Roark is in his second full season of starting and, like last time, he has an ERA around 3 while headed for about 200 innings pitched. That's pretty darn good. I think he cleans up this summer in arbitration and sticks around for at least a couple more years as a middle rotation starter for the Nats. A lot of teams would love to have that production in their #1 or #2 starter and we have it in a guy who is battling with Joe Ross for who's third best.
Since then he has pitched 38.2 innings with a 2.09 ERA.

Tanner Roark is a frontline starter. The debate is over. The question now is when he's given a contract and if it is the Nationals or another franchise. If the Nats can lock him up for a few more years next to Scherzer and Strasburg, with Ross and a handful of minor league studs battling behind them, then you can mark down the Nats going into the 2020's with one of the major league's premiere rotations.

Offline DPMOmaha

I don't know if it was terrible. They likely would not have won the division anyway and he has pitched so well this year there seems to be no ill effect. If anything you could say it may have motivated him. Maybe down the line he will leave via free agency in spite.
No, it was pretty terrible.

Offline NJ Ave

The question now is when he's given a contract and if it is the Nationals or another franchise. If the Nats can lock him up for a few more years next to Scherzer and Strasburg, with Ross and a handful of minor league studs battling behind them, then you can mark down the Nats going into the 2020's with one of the major league's premiere rotations.

We do have him through 2019 already, and he's 29 this season. He'll make a bunch of money in arbitration since he'll have 2 really good starter years under his belt, but I'm not sure I see a reason to start signing him to extensions that will start in his age-33 season.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
We do have him through 2019 already, and he's 29 this season. He'll make a bunch of money in arbitration since he'll have 2 really good starter years under his belt, but I'm not sure I see a reason to start signing him to extensions that will start in his age-33 season.
I thought his arbitration only went through next season. Thanks for info.

Offline Optics

Roark seems like he'll be one of those guys that pitches really well even in his mid to late 30s.

Offline NJ Ave

Roark seems like he'll be one of those guys that pitches really well even in his mid to late 30s.

I don't disagree necessarily. I'd probably offer him four guaranteed years with a couple club options right now. I came up with 6/$75 or so, of which 4/$45 is guaranteed.

Online Natsinpwc

Here are some rankings of Tanner this year in terms of MLB starting pitchers. Probably the lack of strike outs holds him back in some of these rankings--screw those guys.  We focus on results around here.

RosterResource.com: #20

Elias: #33

ESPN: #11

Bill James: not in the top 50 (how can that be?)

Scott White, CBS: #33

Al Melchior, CBS: #44

Offline whytev

Who could have known it would go as badly as it did?