Author Topic: Parks, Memorials and Monuments  (Read 2652 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Memorials and Monuments
« Reply #25: July 07, 2016, 09:32:45 PM »
My favorite view of the Mall is crossing from L'Enfant up to Pennsylvania Ave a bit after sunrise and watching the light and shadows change on the Smithsonian Castle and the surrounding buildings. Archives, too.  The Washington Monument takes several colors as the lighting changes.  Then looking back on the Capitol as it is backlit is pretty awesome.

Oh brother, indeed.    I used to get off my bus early at Federal Triangle.   I'd walk across the Mall to 12th ST, SW at sunrise year around.    One of the prettiest sights is ...  the Washington Monument has a pink hue at sunrise.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #26: July 07, 2016, 09:34:46 PM »
My favorite view of the Mall is crossing from L'Enfant up to Pennsylvania Ave a bit after sunrise and watching the light and shadows change on the Smithsonian Castle and the surrounding buildings. Archives, too.  The Washington Monument takes several colors as the lighting changes.  Then looking back on the Capitol as it is backlit is pretty awesome.

:clap:

Also, the Lincoln Memorial at night and the Jefferson Memorial/Basin at twilight.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #27: July 07, 2016, 09:35:48 PM »

Also, the Lincoln Memorial at night and the Jefferson Memorial/Basin at twilight.

The view from the Lee house at Arlington is fantastic.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #28: July 07, 2016, 09:36:10 PM »

When I was in the Army, we'd sometime walk to the Lincoln around 3 AM.     

Offline mitlen

« Reply #29: July 07, 2016, 09:36:35 PM »

Yes and The Tomb at 2 AM.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #30: July 07, 2016, 09:36:43 PM »

Not if you're a resident there. :stir:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #31: July 07, 2016, 09:38:09 PM »
Are the korean war, fdr, and mlk monuments too popular

FDR is my all time favorite.

Teddy Roosevelt's memorial on Roosevelt Island is underappreciated as well.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #32: July 07, 2016, 09:38:57 PM »
Teddy Roosevelt's memorial on Roosevelt Island is underappreciated as well.

Good one TT.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #33: July 07, 2016, 09:39:01 PM »
Gunston Hall is fantastic too. Not visited much.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #34: July 07, 2016, 09:57:29 PM »
I like looking at the monuments not only for who they memorialize but also the what it says about the time and people who put up the monuments. Obviously the Vietnam Memorial expresses a lot about its builders.  Even the inclusion of the more heroic, traditional figures demonstrates some of the conflict in the US on how to view the war, and the inclusion of the women's statue perhaps shows what some would say is "political correctness run amok."  The WWII Memorial in some ways is a memorial as the people of that generation viewed memorials to be, but it is off on a lot of the symbolism (why venerate states when we fought as a nation?  why do you need to do math to understand what the stars represent?).  The thing I love about it is the reliefs showing different aspects of the total war.  The FDR memorial also says something about the builders.  Depicting FDR in a wheelchair when FDR was quite conscious of never showing it has also been seen as PC.  That said, it might be my favorite after the Lincoln because of the scope of his presidency and the succinct way the events are demonstrated or described. 

Have any of you stood at where the line between the Washington Monument to the Lincoln and the White house to the Jefferson intersect?  Big time karma there.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #35: July 07, 2016, 10:02:30 PM »
I like looking at the monuments not only for who they memorialize but also the what it says about the time and people who put up the monuments. Obviously the Vietnam Memorial expresses a lot about its builders.  Even the inclusion of the more heroic, traditional figures demonstrates some of the conflict in the US on how to view the war, and the inclusion of the women's statue perhaps shows what some would say is "political correctness run amok."  The WWII Memorial in some ways is a memorial as the people of that generation viewed memorials to be, but it is off on a lot of the symbolism (why venerate states when we fought as a nation?  why do you need to do math to understand what the stars represent?).  The thing I love about it is the reliefs showing different aspects of the total war.  The FDR memorial also says something about the builders.  Depicting FDR in a wheelchair when FDR was quite conscious of never showing it has also been seen as PC.  That said, it might be my favorite after the Lincoln because of the scope of his presidency and the succinct way the events are demonstrated or described. 

Have any of you stood at where the line between the Washington Monument to the Lincoln and the White house to the Jefferson intersect?  Big time karma there.

That's the thing about the "monuments'.    There are observation points that no travel guide can address.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #36: July 07, 2016, 10:03:14 PM »

Amazing vibrations.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #37: July 07, 2016, 10:04:50 PM »
There are some beautiful sight lines of the monuments from SE (across the Anacostia)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #38: July 07, 2016, 10:06:12 PM »
There are some beautiful sight lines of the monuments from SE (across the Anacostia)

Congress Heights.  Also from the WWB.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #39: July 08, 2016, 11:06:02 AM »

Not all monuments, per se, but some places I'd never thought to visit...

http://blog.virginia.org/2015/05/history-walks/

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #40: July 08, 2016, 11:24:16 AM »
Not all monuments, per se, but some places I'd never thought to visit...

http://blog.virginia.org/2015/05/history-walks/

second the mount Vernon part, especially around holidays (they open the cupola for Christmas and bring in a camel among other animals). The guide are exceedingly well informed, seems more like history nerds volunteering than normal guides. If you get on the trails, the barn is usually pretty free from tourists and interesting, admission also gets you into grist mill which most people either don't know or don't bother to visit.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #41: July 08, 2016, 11:26:31 AM »
I was doin' my walk this morning and the C & O Canal crossed my mind.    The Canal in Georgetown is pretty cool with the historic barges and such.   

Offline mitlen

« Reply #42: July 08, 2016, 11:47:41 AM »

That is very close to the Jefferson Pier marker mentioned before.

Offline wj73

« Reply #43: July 12, 2016, 04:36:08 PM »
For a fun day trip, check out Ft. Frederick State Park about 20 miles west of Hagerstown just off 70.  Forget the Civil War and Revolutionary War historical sites - this puppy dates back to the French and Indian War, when we were still a British colony.  It's a beautifully restored fort, including the high thick walls, the huge gate and both barracks.  The visitor center is a mini-museum, and they have a 10 minute film that gives a history of the fort. The Fort itself and the barracks also have historic exhibits.  The staff is knowledgeable and enthusiastic.  The Fort is the site of several events, including the occasional reenactment of British troops skirmishing with French troops and their Indian allies, complete with cannons. 

Website: http://dnr2.maryland.gov/publiclands/Pages/western/fortfrederick.aspx

The Park also has camping and boating.  If you want to do some hiking or biking, the the C&O Canal passes through the park and the Western Maryland Rail Trail is less than a mile away.   

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #44: July 12, 2016, 06:32:13 PM »
Good choice.

For a fun day trip, check out Ft. Frederick State Park about 20 miles west of Hagerstown just off 70.  Forget the Civil War and Revolutionary War historical sites - this puppy dates back to the French and Indian War, when we were still a British colony.  It's a beautifully restored fort, including the high thick walls, the huge gate and both barracks.  The visitor center is a mini-museum, and they have a 10 minute film that gives a history of the fort. The Fort itself and the barracks also have historic exhibits.  The staff is knowledgeable and enthusiastic.  The Fort is the site of several events, including the occasional reenactment of British troops skirmishing with French troops and their Indian allies, complete with cannons. 

Website: http://dnr2.maryland.gov/publiclands/Pages/western/fortfrederick.aspx

The Park also has camping and boating.  If you want to do some hiking or biking, the the C&O Canal passes through the park and the Western Maryland Rail Trail is less than a mile away.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #45: July 13, 2016, 10:32:36 AM »
For a fun day trip, check out Ft. Frederick State Park about 20 miles west of Hagerstown just off 70. 

So should this thread include parks as well? 

Frankly I find parks a much more useful object of my attention than mere memorials or monuments.  One can only handle so much reverence before fun and recreation are required.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #46: July 13, 2016, 10:36:15 AM »
So should this thread include parks as well? 

Frankly I find parks a much more useful object of my attention than mere memorials or monuments.  One can only handle so much reverence before fun and recreation are required.

My idea when starting the thread was to keep it primarily in the "metro" area.      That way new residents and visitors can see Parks, Memorials and Monuments as a way to see our "city".      A fishing hole would also be appropriate.    :)    My concern is we'll start telling folks about Virginia Beach, Nags Head, etc.     They're nice but they ain't "ours".

BTW   ...    Changing the thread title to include Parks.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #47: July 13, 2016, 12:17:18 PM »
Maybe up to and including day trips in the DMV?

My idea when starting the thread was to keep it primarily in the "metro" area.      That way new residents and visitors can see Parks, Memorials and Monuments as a way to see our "city".      A fishing hole would also be appropriate.    :)    My concern is we'll start telling folks about Virginia Beach, Nags Head, etc.     They're nice but they ain't "ours".

BTW   ...    Changing the thread title to include Parks.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: Parks, Memorials and Monuments
« Reply #48: July 13, 2016, 01:10:17 PM »
Not sure about Nags Head, but last time I was on Duck the Virginia license plates outnumbered NC tags about 4:1.  I may be mindfacting the actual proportion, but the numbers were impressive. 
My concern is we'll start telling folks about Virginia Beach, Nags Head, etc.     They're nice but they ain't "ours".

Offline mitlen

Re: Parks, Memorials and Monuments
« Reply #49: July 13, 2016, 01:39:55 PM »
Not sure about Nags Head, but last time I was on Duck the Virginia license plates outnumbered NC tags about 4:1.  I may be mindfacting the actual proportion, but the numbers were impressive. 

VA tags outnumber PA tags in some of the old forgotten steel towns of W. PA.    :)