Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Mariano Rivera III RHP  (Read 2620 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Follow the Prospects: Mariano Rivera III RHP
« Topic Start: June 22, 2016, 12:16:29 PM »
Full Name: Mariano Rivera
Born: October 4, 1993
Birthplace: Rye, NY
Bats/Throws: R/R Ht: 5' 11" Wt: 155
Draft: Round 4 (2015, WSH)
School: Iona, NY
Relationship(s): son of Mariano Rivera

MiLB Overview:

Selected by the Washington Nationals in the fourth round of the 2015 MLB Draft out of Iona College (New Rochelle, NY)... signed with the Nationals on June 21, 2015... previously drafted by the New York Yankees in the 29th round of the 2014 Draft but did not sign... Harrison, NY native attended Iona Prep, where he also participated in soccer, wrestling, track and as a pinch-runner in baseball... did not play baseball his senior year of high school... attended Quinnipiac University but transferred to Iona after one semester... played for the Laconia Muskrats of the New England Collegiate Baseball League ahead of the 2015 season... in 2015 at Iona, he was named the MAAC Pitcher of the Year, owning a 2.65 ERA with 113 strikeouts in 85 innings... son of longtime Yankees closer Mariano Rivera, who is Major League Baseball's all-time leader in saves (652), was a 13-time American League All-Star, won five World Series with the Yankees, was the 1999 World Series MVP, 2003 ALCS MVP, 2013 AL Comeback Player of the Year, 2013 All-Star Game MVP, led the Majors in saves in 1999, 2001 and '04 and is the all-time MLB postseason leader in ERA (0.70) and saves (42)... Rivera III made his Minor League debut on 6/23/15 with Class A Short Season Auburn, throwing two scoreless innings at State College... pitched primarily in relief in 2015 but made three starts from 7/6-19... was clocked as high as 97 mph during his final season at Iona.

Baseball America:
Some scouts feel that his arm speed is unparalleled and after pitching in the low 90s last year, Rivera has consistently worked 92-95 this spring, having begun to fill out his shoulders, and he still projects for more velocity. Rivera’s delivery isn’t very conventional, with heavy lean to his glove side and an artificial over-the-top arm slot. He struggles to repeat his landing, and may have to tone down his delivery at the next level. Rivera is effective when he pitches down in the zone with his fastball and late-breaking slider.

He projects as a solid middle reliever, with the upside to pitch even later in the game.

Currently assigned to Hagerstown in the SAL.  Made the 2016 SAL All-star team

Working as a relief pitcher, stats through June 20:

20 Games
33.1 IP
39 H
18 ER
10 BB
25 K
4.86 ERA
1.47 WHIP

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Does he throw a cutter?

Offline dcpatti

Re: Follow the Prospects: Mariano Rivera Jr. RHP
« Reply #3: August 19, 2016, 12:20:48 PM »
Isn't the young'un at Hagerstown actually Mariano Rivera III and not Jr?  I always thought Dad was the Jr.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
Re: Follow the Prospects: Mariano Rivera Jr. RHP
« Reply #4: August 19, 2016, 12:31:38 PM »
Isn't the young'un at Hagerstown actually Mariano Rivera III and not Jr?

Yes

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Follow the Prospects: Mariano Rivera III RHP
« Reply #5: August 19, 2016, 01:54:08 PM »
fixed

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats

Offline madj55

« Reply #7: August 19, 2016, 02:55:28 PM »
Isn't the young'un at Hagerstown actually Mariano Rivera III and not Jr?  I always thought Dad was the Jr.
In college he went by Jr. when I met him.

Offline whytev

« Reply #8: August 19, 2016, 03:13:36 PM »
In college he went by Jr. when I met him.

My boss is a Jr., and he said you are supposed to drop it when your dad dies.

Maybe his grandfather passed on and he got upgraded from III to Jr.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #9: August 19, 2016, 05:27:23 PM »
According to this, no.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/17310932/mariano-rivera-iii-dad-which-fine-him

How cool that his pops went and hung out with the team in Hagerstown. He sounds like a smart kid too

Offline madj55

« Reply #10: August 24, 2016, 11:33:44 PM »
How cool that his pops went and hung out with the team in Hagerstown. He sounds like a smart kid too
His Dad is a great guy. Hung out with us in the common room my freshman year before he transferred.

Kinda lucked out my freshman year dorm. Ray Allen's daughter lived on the floor above me so I saw him a few times, and I was also friends with Busta Rhymes' son.

Offline dcpatti

MiLB is reporting that Mariano Rivera III has voluntarily retired.  Washington retains rights to him if he chooses to return to baseball (his status would essentially pick up where it left off).

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
MiLB is reporting that Mariano Rivera III has voluntarily retired.  Washington retains rights to him if he chooses to return to baseball (his status would essentially pick up where it left off).

What the....

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
8.49 ERA this year at A+, but he's only 24.  I guess his heart just isn't in the game.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
 Retired, I think I saw?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Retired, I think I saw?