Author Topic: Boswell has a column today...READ IT (May 2016)  (Read 2900 times)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Hell, it irritates me and I ain't a 'skins fan.

It's not so bad when CSN does it (although I still dislike it). It's when local DC stations cover the ravens and birds that pisses me off so I don't watch them.  :D

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
[...]I hated the Redskins when I lived there because the world revolved around them.

Still does...tune in the Chad Dukes show any afternoon-drive period and it's all Skins (except for the time he gives to another obsession of his, UFC). They still are pretty much The Only Team That Matters here.

Online Natsinpwc

Still does...tune in the Chad Dukes show any afternoon-drive period and it's all Skins (except for the time he gives to another obsession of his, UFC). They still are pretty much The Only Team That Matters here.
You forgot that he also likes to talk about the latest video games.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Nats attendance is better than Os attendance.

Washington is 15 with an average of 28,433. Baltimore is 23 with an average of 23,147.

Os games are chock full of Yankees and Sox fans when they are in town. Washington is chock full of people from other places. It's not surprising that there are lots of other teams' fans.

I'm not worried about DC losing its franchise.

And by the way . . .  It would seem that if there's a large contingency of baseball fans in DC who despise hearing from fans of other teams we'd have far better attendance than we do.  It's embarrassing listening to and watching games to see/hear all of the fans of opponents who overtake the ball park.  This keeps up and the Orioles will be the lone game in town....  Again...

Offline OldChelsea

You forgot that he also likes to talk about the latest video games.

That's true...talks a lot about films too. I was thinking more in terms of sports interests.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
And they can decide what they want for lunch and what they want to do this weekend. Duh. Quit being so paranoid.

You're too easy.

'98

I knew it was around there somewhere.  And the Redskins SUCKED too.  But Heath Shuler's workouts were SUPER-IMPORTANT!   :lmao:

I think it was 99.
I was being sarcastic.

Sarcasm detector is on the fritz....  :lol:

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Nats attendance is better than Os attendance.

Washington is 15 with an average of 28,433.

That HAS to be paid attendance.  The droves of empty seats on television looks horrific.

Offline Ray D

A Cup run? Oh, you must mean the President's Cup.   
No I think he meant the year the Caps ran out of jockstraps.

Online Natsinpwc

No I think he meant the year the Caps ran out of jockstraps.
:rofl:

Offline GburgNatsFan

yes, paid attendance. That's how all teams are measured.

That HAS to be paid attendance.  The droves of empty seats on television looks horrific.

Online skippy1999

• Believe!!!

I will say I always think that the first couple innings of the game but usually by the 3d inning or so the seats have filled in quite a bit. 

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
I will say I always think that the first couple innings of the game but usually by the 3d inning or so the seats have filled in quite a bit. 

I watched that game last night and that's now how it looked to me.  We're in 1st place, the Cardinals are a good team who have owned us in the playoffs recently and that ballpark looked 2/3 empty and the Cardinals fans had a distinct audible presence.

Offline OldChelsea

You do realize that Angelos didn't own the Orioles for the overwhelming majority of the time frame you reference, right?  Or that Angelos didn't force TWO separate Senators teams to move, right?  But whatever.  Keep going with your delusional fantasy that the Orioles are the center of what plagues this particular DC baseball team.

It is true that Edward Bennett Williams (a Washington attorney, of all things) was the original villain of the piece, with his 'regional franchise' staying in Baltimore...but Angelos has escalated the matter.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
I watched that game last night and that's now how it looked to me.  We're in 1st place, the Cardinals are a good team who have owned us in the playoffs recently and that ballpark looked 2/3 empty and the Cardinals fans had a distinct audible presence.

Attendance was 26,176 and opposing fans always sound loud because it's odd when they cheer.

Unless you were there, you really can't tell from your couch.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Attendance was 26,176 and opposing fans always sound loud because it's odd when they cheer.

Unless you were there, you really can't tell from your couch.

True.  It's difficult to grasp the magnitude of the cavernous empty spaces from the countless camera shots on television - and the audible cheering from the opposing fans is probably only amplified due to the sheer volume of them as well as the acknowledgement of their existence by Carp and FP.

:lmao:

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
It is true that Edward Bennett Williams (a Washington attorney, of all things) was the original villain of the piece, with his 'regional franchise' staying in Baltimore...but Angelos has escalated the matter.

Yep.  It had nothing to do with the fact that both franchises would be more profitable elsewhere.  It was foreshadowing for the juggernaut that was 1990's and 2000's Orioles baseball.

Offline GburgNatsFan

Nats fans are not loud fans, unless something good happens. Just in general. We don't chant much, etc.

It's fine. What's really not fine is everyone telling DC fans how to be fans. I'm really getting to hate that.

True.  It's difficult to grasp the magnitude of the cavernous empty spaces from the countless camera shots on television - and the audible cheering from the opposing fans is probably only amplified due to the sheer volume of them as well as the acknowledgement of their existence by Carp and FP.

:lmao:

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
What's really not fine is every telling DC fans how to be fans.

Exactly.  Goes for all teams.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Nats fans are not loud fans, unless something good happens. Just in general. We don't chant much, etc.

They chant when hey get a text update on what's happening right in front of them but they are too preoccupied with other things to notice.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Was Joe Gibbs the coach and was it before Snyder bought the team from the Jack Kent Cooke family ?  The hysteria has lightened a little since those two people left the DC scene.

When I lived in DC it drove me nuts when the Caps were in the middle of a Cup run and the lead stories were Redskins voluntary mini-camp bullcrap workouts.

I hated the Redskins when I lived there because the world revolved around them.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Was Joe Gibbs the coach and was it before Snyder bought the team from the Jack Kent Cooke family ?  The hysteria has lightened a little since those two people left the DC scene.

1998-2002.

Offline Ray D

The hysteria began with George Allen in 1971. He turned a garbage team into a perennial playoff team. They won their first five in '71; i was there at the fourth game and I had never seen such pure hysteria.  Joe Gibbs merely continued the process. But the hysteria hasn't let up, except for brief periods when the team has been very bad; 45 years of (mostly) hysteria.

Offline Ray D

1998-2002.
Yes that was a very obnoxious period in the history of the Redskins. Dan Snyder entering the scene. The playoffs in 1999 which led Snyder to believe that he could win the superbowl by signing every free agent in sight, which he did, and which turned into disaster. So bad that they fired Turner with three games to go (and still in contention).  Then, Marty came in 2001, lost the first five, but then turned the team completely around - and was fired for it.  And then in 2002, the "Ball Coach".  No wonder you hated them.  I hated them then too.

Offline Traded For Mclain

The hysteria began with George Allen in 1971. He turned a garbage team into a perennial playoff team. They won their first five in '71; i was there at the fourth game and I had never seen such pure hysteria.  Joe Gibbs merely continued the process. But the hysteria hasn't let up, except for brief periods when the team has been very bad; 45 years of (mostly) hysteria.

1971 was also the year the Senators left.  I think that had something to do w/increased interest in the Redskins back then.  The fact that the '71 team made the playoffs was huge for DC, first postseason appearance since the 1940's in any sport.  Also there were no Bullets, no Caps, the Skins were literally the only game in town.