Author Topic: Trade Thread  (Read 74294 times)

Offline mikerizzosweewee

Re: Trade Thread
« Reply #50: May 22, 2016, 03:39:44 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but we cannot trade draft picks in MLB
Yeah I was thinking of a Turner-like deal but I see MLB passed a rule last year making a trade like this impossible until after the World Series.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #51: May 22, 2016, 03:51:30 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but we cannot trade draft picks in MLB

You cannot. Only competitive balance picks can be (which goes to "small market" teams, like the Cardinals...). It could be a PTBNL, but imagine how hard that'd be to sign a guy

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #52: May 22, 2016, 04:21:14 PM »
Revere has been slow to get going, but this is looking like another steal of a deal for Rizzo.
Revere's three seasons prior to trade; .306/.334/.365 with 100+ steals. Revere isn't great. He's a single happy slap hitter, steals a ton of bases, little to no power, and is serviceable in all three outfield positions. Still, he a workable starter or pretty good fourth OF. Regardless how full the Blue Jays outfield is I feel like the Nats had zero leverage trying to clear out Storen and somehow got a pretty useful player back. Rizzo moved a guy he had to move one way or another and somehow got a starting center fielder who can lead off.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #53: May 22, 2016, 11:44:02 PM »
Revere's three seasons prior to trade; .306/.334/.365 with 100+ steals. Revere isn't great. He's a single happy slap hitter, steals a ton of bases, little to no power, and is serviceable in all three outfield positions. Still, he a workable starter or pretty good fourth OF. Regardless how full the Blue Jays outfield is I feel like the Nats had zero leverage trying to clear out Storen and somehow got a pretty useful player back. Rizzo moved a guy he had to move one way or another and somehow got a starting center fielder who can lead off.

and he doesn't strike out.

Offline whytev

« Reply #54: May 23, 2016, 12:59:13 AM »
Because they're spending less money this year than the last two years.

And because Werth lent them 10 million bucks.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #55: May 23, 2016, 07:02:09 AM »
And because Werth lent them 10 million bucks.
That is going to help, but the Nationals came in about 20 million less than where they started 2014 and 2015.

Offline whytev

« Reply #56: May 23, 2016, 12:01:28 PM »
That is going to help, but the Nationals came in about 20 million less than where they started 2014 and 2015.

So total is 30. And if we pick up halfway through the season, 30 gets us a closer and a slugger. We can always trade excess salary again in the off season, or buy walk year guys.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #57: May 23, 2016, 12:21:10 PM »
So total is 30. And if we pick up halfway through the season, 30 gets us a closer and a slugger. We can always trade excess salary again in the off season, or buy walk year guys.

.. but we have Paps and Zimmerman.  Why do we need a close and a slugger?

Offline tzinc

« Reply #58: May 23, 2016, 03:05:31 PM »
you can't get everything focus on HITTERS not pitchers

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #59: May 24, 2016, 02:54:06 PM »
I would take a flyer on Matusz, who wants to be a starter.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #60: May 24, 2016, 04:41:11 PM »
:lmao:

I want to be a starter too. About as likely.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #61: May 24, 2016, 05:13:38 PM »
Wasn't he traded to Atlanta?

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #62: May 24, 2016, 05:15:53 PM »
Wasn't he traded to Atlanta?
They released him as soon as they got him.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #63: May 24, 2016, 05:16:28 PM »
Ok.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #64: May 24, 2016, 05:25:30 PM »

DFA'd, so he's still going through waivers. I mean, if he went through and could be had for the min. w/ the Braves taking on the rest, maybe worth a flyer. Even then, there's arms I'd rather see in the minors right now get a shot (if there was a BP need).

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #65: May 24, 2016, 05:30:48 PM »

Matusz was a starter.  He was bad at it, which is why he became a reliever.  Now that he's pretty bad at that, too, his value is clear.  He just got salary-dumped off a team and replaced by a 28-year-old who's never been above AA.  If he's willing to sign a minors contract and go to AAA to prove he can do either task, fine - especially because either Toadface or Atlanta is stuck paying his salary (don't know if Atlanta actually took the whole thing in the deal) - but he's not deserving of a major league roster spot right now.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #66: May 24, 2016, 05:31:49 PM »
Matusz was a starter.  He was bad at it, which is why he became a reliever.  Now that he's pretty bad at that, too, his value is pretty clear.  He just got salary-dumped off a team and replaced by a 28-year-old who's never been above AA.  If he's willing to sign a minors contract and go to AAA to prove he can do either task, fine - especially because Toadface is stuck paying his salary - but he's not deserving of a major league roster spot right now.

:clap:

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #67: May 24, 2016, 05:33:44 PM »
Matusz was a starter.  He was bad at it, which is why he became a reliever.  Now that he's pretty bad at that, too, his value is clear.  He just got salary-dumped off a team and replaced by a 28-year-old who's never been above AA.  If he's willing to sign a minors contract and go to AAA to prove he can do either task, fine - especially because either Toadface or Atlanta is stuck paying his salary (don't know if Atlanta actually took the whole thing in the deal) - but he's not deserving of a major league roster spot right now.
The Orioles kool aid slurpers were just raving about the 28 year old in double A. I like Wall to Wall Baseball for the comedy.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #68: May 24, 2016, 05:36:56 PM »
To be fair, the Orioles ruin starters, and the industry knows something is wrong with Orioles' pitcher development. Remember when they had a supposedly hot shot young prospect who came up to the big leagues and posted ERAs of 5.05 and 6.20? And then traded him to the Cubs?

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #69: May 24, 2016, 05:43:12 PM »
To be fair, the Orioles ruin starters, and the industry knows something is wrong with Orioles' pitcher development. Remember when they had a supposedly hot shot young prospect who came up to the big leagues and posted ERAs of 5.05 and 6.20? And then traded him to the Cubs?

Yes, which is why giving Matusz a shot in AAA would be worth it, although he's 2 years older than the gentleman you refer to was when he got out of Baltimore.  But unfortunately (for this purpose, at least), the Nats aren't the steaming pile that the 2013 Cubs were.  There's not the same luxury of taking on projects and not worrying if it flushes a couple games down the toilet.

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #70: May 24, 2016, 05:58:50 PM »
That's what I mean. He can try to be a starter in AA ball.

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #71: May 24, 2016, 06:00:04 PM »
I love how all the O's announcers on MASN avoid any mention of that trade.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #72: May 24, 2016, 07:11:41 PM »
That's what I mean. He can try to be a starter in AA ball.

Sorry, didn't get that originally.  If he's willing to go to AA, then he sure as hell can give it a shot.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #73: May 24, 2016, 07:12:53 PM »
What would Matusz offer that we don't have in minors right now? Injured former starter? Arroyo. AAAA guy who can be a spot starter? Hill, Cole, and Taylor. Upside? Fedde, Giolito, and Voth.

No thanks.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #74: May 24, 2016, 07:33:29 PM »
You actually bother to listen to the O's announcers on MASN ?

I love how all the O's announcers on MASN avoid any mention of that trade.