Author Topic: How to be a Nats fan  (Read 4111 times)

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
How to be a Nats fan
« Topic Start: May 15, 2016, 08:00:12 PM »
Interesting read. Kinda of funny and sometimes just plain weird.

https://www.washingtonian.com/2016/05/11/how-to-be-a-washington-nationals-baseball-fan/

EDIT: In the section on the "Worst Nats Ever."
Papelbon: It doesn’t matter if he saves 40 games this year. Or 50. He’ll always be the chump who choked Harper. Also, what kind of lunkhead tries to show up to a press conference to apologize while wearing a muscle shirt that says “Obama can’t ban these guns”? Papelbon.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: How to be a Nats fan
« Reply #1: May 15, 2016, 08:54:15 PM »
I gotta be honest, I liked Papelbon a lot more after I heard about the t-shirt thing.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #2: May 15, 2016, 09:41:07 PM »
Why is Scott Olsen on the "worst" list? I can name a whole lotta guys who belong on there and Scott Olsen is not really memorable enough to join them.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #3: May 15, 2016, 09:53:06 PM »
Me too.  But that's coming from a rather low baseline...I'd probably have liked him more if he had dropped acid and eaten earthworms.
I gotta be honest, I liked Papelbon a lot more after I heard about the t-shirt thing.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #4: May 15, 2016, 09:56:32 PM »
Why is Scott Olsen on the "worst" list? I can name a whole lotta guys who belong on there and Scott Olsen is not really memorable enough to join them.

Morse being on the best list is also absurd not to mention the clown in the sequined suit. The whole piece sucked balls.

Offline captkirk42

• Curly W Cards
« Reply #5: May 15, 2016, 10:04:45 PM »
I haven't read the article yet, but the answer is simple. Just be a fan. Start watching the games if you can anyway you can or keep track of the games by checking the sports section of your local paper, or now-days the sports websites for the scores. Simple. Do that for all the teams you like and you are then a fan. Simple.

Or wait, are we supposed to fill out some complicated membership form and wait 3 seasons for it to be approved by the team's management?

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #6: May 16, 2016, 05:54:33 AM »
As like so much in the DC area, the article was a little politically correct.  But it was a very good synopsis of baseball in DC and going to Nats Park.  I would have also like to see the article address best & worst list of aspects of going to Nats Park.

Sorry Spider, but Morse was really the first Nat idolized by some Nats fans.  I knew people in my section who determined if they were leaving their seat for food or latrine by when Morse was coming to bat - just as much as the President's Race effected leaving seats.  And it wasn't just because they liked to sing.  I know of at least two regular WNFF members who stopped being on here when Morse left.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #7: May 16, 2016, 08:53:05 AM »

Sorry Spider, but Morse was really the first Nat idolized by some Nats fans.  I knew people in my section who determined if they were leaving their seat for food or latrine by when Morse was coming to bat - just as much as the President's Race effected leaving seats.  And it wasn't just because they liked to sing.  I know of at least two regular WNFF members who stopped being on here when Morse left.

Then you and the people you referenced are freaking morons. Morse and the the President's Race? :hysterical:

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #8: May 16, 2016, 11:21:08 AM »
Then you and the people you referenced are freaking morons. Morse and the the President's Race? :hysterical:

Who are you to judge? The Fan Police. ;)

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #9: May 16, 2016, 11:23:51 AM »
I know of at least two regular WNFF members who stopped being on here when Morse left.
Must be blue911 ;)

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #10: May 16, 2016, 02:09:14 PM »
Interesting read. Kinda of funny and sometimes just plain weird.

https://www.washingtonian.com/2016/05/11/how-to-be-a-washington-nationals-baseball-fan/

EDIT: In the section on the "Worst Nats Ever."
Papelbon: It doesn’t matter if he saves 40 games this year. Or 50. He’ll always be the chump who choked Harper. Also, what kind of lunkhead tries to show up to a press conference to apologize while wearing a muscle shirt that says “Obama can’t ban these guns”? Papelbon.
Good read but being reminded of Scott Olsen just made me sad...

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #11: May 16, 2016, 02:12:15 PM »
That's exactly the problem.  We got literally nothing at all out of him and he would have easily been the ace on that 2009 staff which featured John Lannan as the Opening Day starter.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #12: May 16, 2016, 02:15:01 PM »
That's exactly the problem.  We got literally nothing at all out of him and he would have easily been the ace on that 2009 staff which featured John Lannan as the Opening Day starter.

Except he sucked before he got here too. There are plenty of guys who've come here and given us nothing - I'd nominate all our first round picks collectively between Zimmerman and Strasburg as utterly worthless

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #13: May 16, 2016, 02:19:00 PM »

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #14: May 16, 2016, 02:20:07 PM »
"Who are the best Nats ever?"

"Michael Morse."

lol ok

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #15: May 16, 2016, 02:20:37 PM »
Also, the "worst Nats ever" list is horrific. this is a turd article

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #16: May 16, 2016, 02:27:36 PM »
BTW livan hernandez is a HOF great all-time nat

"but let's ignore him because we just hopped on the wagon in 2012"
-washingtonian

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #17: May 16, 2016, 02:28:36 PM »

The worst Nationals pitcher ever is Mike Bacsik.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #18: May 16, 2016, 02:29:00 PM »
Except he sucked before he got here too. There are plenty of guys who've come here and given us nothing - I'd nominate all our first round picks collectively between Zimmerman and Strasburg as utterly worthless
Michael Burgess got us Tom Gorzelanny who was a very important long relief piece in the bullpen for our 2012 playoff run and Ross Detwiler pitched the best game in those playoffs and eventually netted us a couple decent prospects in Bostick and de los Santos.  I'm not saying either of those are what you want from a first round pick but "utterly worthless" probably isn't accurate either.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #19: May 16, 2016, 02:36:36 PM »

Grooving the pitch to Barry was terrible, as were most of his starts...

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #20: May 16, 2016, 02:37:41 PM »
Where's FLop on the list?

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #21: May 16, 2016, 02:50:32 PM »
Where's FLop on the list?

Or Kearns.  Both sucked out loud over multiple seasons (although Kearns had one decent season).  Also, their description of the Scott Olsen trade is laughably wrong: they did give up 3 prospects, but none of those players turned out to be of any significant value and they also got Josh Willingham along with Olsen.  Willingham was worth 5 WAR over the 2 seasons he was here, making him a decidedly bright spot on those two train wrecks. 

Offline spidernat

« Reply #22: May 16, 2016, 03:09:30 PM »
BTW livan hernandez is a HOF great all-time nat

"but let's ignore him because we just hopped on the wagon in 2012"
-washingtonian

I don't understand why Hernandez always gets glossed over.

:worship:

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #23: May 16, 2016, 03:24:11 PM »

Honorable mention:  Garrett Mock

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #24: May 16, 2016, 03:26:03 PM »

This, we've had worse, but the at least pretended to.try