Author Topic: The PED Suspensions Thread  (Read 3908 times)

Online HalfSmokes

Re: The PED Suspensions Thread
« Reply #25: May 13, 2016, 04:42:03 PM »
True. Still not my point. Steroids are more performance enhancing. It's not about relative drug safety.

Can't see the ability to concentrate helping a hitter at all, no way that would help. Those guys taking them are totally risking their careers for no benefit

Offline whytev

« Reply #26: May 13, 2016, 05:24:45 PM »
Can't see the ability to concentrate helping a hitter at all, no way that would help. Those guys taking them are totally risking their careers for no benefit

It does help. But it doesn't make a flyout into an upper deck shot.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #27: May 13, 2016, 05:34:45 PM »
It does help. But it doesn't make a flyout into an upper deck shot.

And plenty of people busted for testerone couldn't hit for crap either - what's your point

Offline whytev

« Reply #28: May 13, 2016, 05:35:36 PM »
And plenty of people busted for testerone couldn't hit for crap either - what's your point

My point is hormones are more severe cheating than speed.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #29: May 13, 2016, 05:43:46 PM »
My point is hormones are more severe cheating than speed.

Based on what? Both are banned, both can be prescribed legally, both help performance

Offline whytev

« Reply #30: May 13, 2016, 05:58:04 PM »
Based on what? Both are banned, both can be prescribed legally, both help performance

Based on common sense. Nobody who was coked out if his mind in the 80s broke Ruth's home run record.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #31: May 15, 2016, 09:50:05 AM »
Article by Ken Rosenthal about Chris Colabello and Daniel Stumpf searching for answers:
http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/chris-colabello-daniel-stumpf-ped-suspensions-positive-drug-tests-051416

They are seeking advice from a group of scientists, researchers, doctors, and experts, trying to figure out why they tested positive. They've asked MLB to run more tests to get a more granular analysis to help determine the cause of the positive. They genuinely sound innocent and trapped. Colabello talks about how he doesn't know what to change about his regimen in order to avoid another positive test, because all his supplements are certified and provided by the Blue Jays staff.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #32: May 15, 2016, 10:16:22 AM »
They should consult lance Armstrong about protesting loudly enough that people believe you

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #33: May 15, 2016, 11:51:09 AM »
Based on common sense. Nobody who was coked out if his mind in the 80s broke Ruth's home run record.

Ummmm, Hank Aaron admitted he used greenies, right? So someone on amphetamines DID break Babe Ruth's HR record in the 70s. Look, I think it's fine to have a personal opinion on which one is worse, but its important to understand that it's your opinion. There is pretty obviously as much evidence that baseball players believe amphetamines help their performance as there is that they believe steroids do. If they didn't, there wouldn't be an epidemic of fake adderall prescriptions in MLB right now.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #34: May 15, 2016, 11:59:29 AM »
The new approach is to admit they tested positive but have no inkling of how it could've happened.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #35: May 15, 2016, 12:06:57 PM »
The new approach is to admit they tested positive but have no inkling of how it could've happened.
oh, you mean what they call "Ortizing" about what happened?

Offline whytev

« Reply #36: May 15, 2016, 04:01:39 PM »
Ummmm, Hank Aaron admitted he used greenies, right? So someone on amphetamines DID break Babe Ruth's HR record in the 70s. Look, I think it's fine to have a personal opinion on which one is worse, but its important to understand that it's your opinion. There is pretty obviously as much evidence that baseball players believe amphetamines help their performance as there is that they believe steroids do. If they didn't, there wouldn't be an epidemic of fake adderall prescriptions in MLB right now.

I admit it's my opinion. You're right re: Aaron. But how many more times was it broken in the 90s? 4? Let's get serious.

I feel bad for Chris Davis, for example. He had a prescription and an exemption, it expired, and he got pinched for Ritalin or whatever it was. That's ridiculous. He wasn't exactly Daryl Strawberry.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #37: May 15, 2016, 05:19:05 PM »
Injury/health expert Will Carroll thinks that a supplement producer has been selling pills tainted with 'roids. Not clear if players knew what they were getting, but he mentions that an MLBer who was suspended last decade was successfully able to sue a crooked supplement company.

https://www.fanduel.com/insider/2016/05/15/additional-mlb-suspensions-point-to-possible-explanation/

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #38: May 15, 2016, 06:52:35 PM »
I admit it's my opinion. You're right re: Aaron. But how many more times was it broken in the 90s? 4? Let's get serious.

I feel bad for Chris Davis, for example. He had a prescription and an exemption, it expired, and he got pinched for Ritalin or whatever it was. That's ridiculous. He wasn't exactly Daryl Strawberry.

I don't feel sorry for him. He gets paid a crapload of money and part of his job is staying on top of these details. It's like feeling sorry for a truck driver who gets busted because his registration expired.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #39: May 15, 2016, 10:10:50 PM »

Chris Davis may have a legitimate need for ADHD medication. Who knows. What I know is that (a) MLB has a problem with guys getting prescriptions for amphetamines for performance enhancement and (b) it's impossible to parse which guys have legitimate medical needs or not.

The facts about Chris Davis are the following:

1. Chris Davis got his first ADHD diagnosis and adderall prescription in 2008 as a 22-year old, the first year he entered the majors.
2. Chris Davis lost his Therapeutic Use Exemption because MLB decided he didn't really have a Therapeutic Use.
3. He took it again because, in his words, he couldn't see the ball as well.

The 3rd part is hard - all players benefit from taking adderall, the same way all college students do. Of course taking adderall makes it easier for Chris Davis to concentrate at the plate, that's the whole point of the drug.

As many have pointed out, there are a million signs that this is a problem in MLB, the most glaring of which is that baseball players don't really seem interested in the non-amphetamine forms of ADHD medication. Wonder why...

Offline whytev

« Reply #40: May 15, 2016, 10:16:20 PM »
Chris Davis may have a legitimate need for ADHD medication. Who knows. What I know is that (a) MLB has a problem with guys getting prescriptions for amphetamines for performance enhancement and (b) it's impossible to parse which guys have legitimate medical needs or not.

1. Chris Davis got his first ADHD diagnosis and adderall prescription in 2008 as a 22-year old, the first year he entered the majors.
2. Chris Davis lost his Therapeutic Use Exemption because MLB decided he didn't really have a Therapeutic Use.

The 3rd part is hard - all players benefit from taking adderall, the same way all college students do. Of course taking adderall makes it easier for Chris Davis to concentrate at the plate, that's the whole point of the drug.

As many have pointed out, there are a million signs that this is a problem in MLB, the most glaring of which is that baseball players don't really seem interested in the non-amphetamine forms of ADHD medication. Wonder why...

Do the non-amphetamine ones work?

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #41: May 16, 2016, 03:55:07 AM »

For improving your pitch recognition? I don't know.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #42: May 16, 2016, 06:41:42 AM »

Fatigue is one of the primary side effects - probably not the best for professional athletes

Offline whytev

« Reply #43: May 16, 2016, 12:35:54 PM »
For improving your pitch recognition? I don't know.

I mean for A.D.D.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #44: May 17, 2016, 10:45:22 AM »

Oddly enough as someone with ADD... I actually played better when I didn't take Adderall, using my meds made me think too much.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #45: May 17, 2016, 11:07:47 AM »
Just freaking legalize the crap and move on. 

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #46: May 17, 2016, 11:50:54 AM »
Article by Ken Rosenthal about Chris Colabello and Daniel Stumpf searching for answers:
http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/chris-colabello-daniel-stumpf-ped-suspensions-positive-drug-tests-051416

They are seeking advice from a group of scientists, researchers, doctors, and experts, trying to figure out why they tested positive. They've asked MLB to run more tests to get a more granular analysis to help determine the cause of the positive. They genuinely sound innocent and trapped. Colabello talks about how he doesn't know what to change about his regimen in order to avoid another positive test, because all his supplements are certified and provided by the Blue Jays staff.

I don't have a scintilla of sympathy for these guys who are shoveling feed bags full of supplements down their gullets and then act shocked - shocked! - when one of their lab creations of a shady, unethical industry contains something banned.  That's like taking corporate PR from a major bank at face value.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47: May 17, 2016, 02:33:05 PM »
Thus reminds me a bit of the Clenbuterol stuff, where it permeates the meat in Mexico and other countries.  Various sports federations have cleared athletes from low level positives, while others get nailed.  IT would not surprise me if there is a trove of positives due to an MLB-approved supplement that in fact is tainted.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48: May 17, 2016, 02:44:34 PM »
http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/05/news/retests-reveal-31-doping-positives-beijing-olympics_406150

Reanalysis of 454 doping samples from the Beijing Olympics resulted in 31 positive tests across six sports, the International Olympic Committee announced Tuesday.

The sample retesting was targeted at athletes who are likely to compete at the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The IOC has initiated disciplinary action against the 31 athletes, who hail from 12 different countries. They will be barred from competing in Rio if the results are upheld.

Read more at http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/05/news/retests-reveal-31-doping-positives-beijing-olympics_406150#zZLcpsVyqbxvD4eA.99

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #49: June 01, 2016, 09:28:53 PM »
Marlon Byrd. 162 game suspension.