Author Topic: STRAS EXTENDED!!! (7 years, $175 million)  (Read 28272 times)

Offline whytev

Stras is gonna be bald really soon

Widow's peak?

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024

After watching another big Nats wins last night, I wanted to relive how far we've come from the hell hole we used to be in. So, I went digging this morning for the intro from Strasburg's first start but I guess the video is no longer on Youtube. Here is one from a few weeks earlier. Fun memories; Awful jerseys, Livan Hernandez was our ace, Zimmerman hitting like 2016 Daniel Murphy, Guzman, Pudge in the heart of the order, Bernadina, Dunn, Willingham, and an intro video that heavily features John Lannan and Nyjer Morgan.

I was as much a hopeless optimist back then as I am today but looking back I have no idea what objective evidence even I could have used to prove "In two years this team will win 98 games". What trash at so many positions. The fact that team start 25-20 and then stuck around .500 for a while before collapsing is pretty impressive.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Stras debuted when we had a middle order of Zimm-Dunn-willingham. That was a decent lineup.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Stras debuted when we had a middle order of Zimm-Dunn-willingham. That was a decent lineup.
Those three were really solid. Morse gave us good at bats over the second half of the season. But that was about it on the quality side.

Offline Optics

Stras's debut game is still the most electrifying game in Nats franchise history just in terms of atmosphere from start to finish. It was the messiah actually living up to if not surpassing the hype.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Stras's debut game is still the most electrifying game in Nats franchise history just in terms of atmosphere from start to finish. It was the messiah actually living up to if not surpassing the hype.

You must not have been at the opener in 2005 or at games 4 and 5 of the 2012 postseason series.

Offline Optics

You must not have been at the opener in 2005 or at games 4 and 5 of the 2012 postseason series.

Game 4 in 2012 had the most amazing single moment, but when it comes to electricity from start to finish, and the hype going into seeing the savior and watching him not jut live up but surpass the hype, Stras's debut takes the cake.

That Stras debut had the feeling of a World Series game.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Game 4 in 2012 had the most amazing single moment, but when it comes to electricity from start to finish, and the hype going into seeing the savior and watching him not jut live up but surpass the hype, Stras's debut takes the cake.

That Stras debut had the feeling of a World Series game.

:lmao: Games 4 and 5 were electric from beginning to finish (bad finish for the last one). Even game 3 had an electric atmosphere that the Nats short circuited with their play on the field but the other two games were charged with excitement from even before the first pitch.

:lmao: @ saying the Strasburg debut felt like a world series game. But that's just because you fell for the hype of the debut. Postseason games have more potential for feeling like a word series game than a regular season ballgame.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
:lmao: Games 4 and 5 were electric from beginning to finish (bad finish for the last one). Even game 3 had an electric atmosphere that the Nats short circuited with their play on the field but the other two games were charged with excitement from even before the first pitch.

:lmao: @ saying the Strasburg debut felt like a world series game. But that's just because you fell for the hype of the debut. Postseason games have more potential for feeling like a word series game than a regular season ballgame.
I was at Game 3 and Game 4. Game 3 was fun. Then the game started. Game 4 was awesome. Ross Detwiler holding his own? ZNN relief appearance? Then obviously Werth walkoff was the best moment I've ever been at in a sporting event.

I've been to top 10 college football matchups, Monday Night football games, playoff hockey games, NBA game winners and matchups where LeBron-Durant went at eachother, and many a big college baseball and basketball game, regular and postseason. I also went to a Strasburg start pre-Tommy John. Game against Giants when the leadoff hitter hit the homer then he mowed them down. That game was awesome to be at. One of the three or four most memorable sporting events I've ever been at. I know it's fun to play contrarian, but you know the atmosphere was awesome from start to finish. There is something special about baseball when in the midst of a 162 game season when you get to see something different and awesome in person. Seeing Rookie Strasburg dialing it up 100+ and giving hope to our craphole franchise was special. I'm sure you went to a couple of his starts and you know you had a blast.

Comparing the debut to a World Series game is probably a stretch, but it was pretty awesome.

Offline Natsinpwc

Was at all the playoff home games in 2012 and the Strasburg debut and this matches my feelings. The only World Series game I was at was in 1983 but have been to several post season games and while SS' debut was great not quite the same. And most people left after the seventh inning. It was defintely fun though.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Anyone notice Stras seems to be developing a quiet swagger? After an inning, he walks off the field slowly, with what looks gunslinger 'tude.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking.  :hysterical:

Offline Truconfidence

I like how the Mets fans and broadcasters are comparing Harveys start to Stras always neglect to mention that Stras also had a growth removed from his upper back also he went on the DL becuse of his ankle not arm.. The situations are not similar because of that. Yes he came back and pitched well before it was taken out but this year proves more to me because you dont see Strasburg doing that wincing thing after pitches anymore.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
I like how the Mets fans and broadcasters are comparing Harveys start to Stras always neglect to mention that Stras also had a growth removed from his upper back also he went on the DL becuse of his ankle not arm.. The situations are not similar because of that. Yes he came back and pitched well before it was taken out but this year proves more to me because you dont see Strasburg doing that wincing thing after pitches anymore.

I had a bad moment during last night's game.   When Dusty came out to get Stras, I swear I saw the old grimace/wince and a favoring of the right arm (as if he couldn't/wouldn't extend it).    Still hopin' I was wrong.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
You mentioned that, and it alarmed me, too.  But he looked fine post-game in the dugout. :shrug:

I had a bad moment during last night's game.   When Dusty came out to get Stras, I swear I saw the old grimace/wince and a favoring of the right arm (as if he couldn't/wouldn't extend it).    Still hopin' I was wrong.

Offline UMDNats

Re: STRAS EXTENDED!!! (7 years, $175 million)
« Reply #164: June 01, 2016, 05:17:42 PM »
In just 11 games this season, Stras has been worth 2.2 fWAR. Awesome.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #165: June 16, 2016, 11:40:18 AM »
Stephen Strasburg may be underpaid.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #166: June 16, 2016, 12:11:00 PM »
Stephen Strasburg may be underpaid.
Might as well just give him what we were going to give Harper, because Harper is done.

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #167: August 17, 2016, 06:18:38 PM »
oh boy.  7 more years of this??

Offline Ray D

« Reply #168: August 17, 2016, 07:04:46 PM »
oh boy.  7 more years of this??
I don't draw conclusions from anything that happens at that godforsaken stadium.  Isn't it true that curves don't break there?

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #171: August 17, 2016, 09:00:22 PM »
His ERA has jumped about one run over the last three starts. That's not good. Hope it's a small slump.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #172: August 17, 2016, 09:17:42 PM »
His ERA has jumped about one run over the last three starts. That's not good. Hope it's a small slump.
Next start. 7 innings, 1 run, 11k, 4 hits, 1 walk.  Bank it.

Offline whytev

« Reply #173: August 17, 2016, 09:39:22 PM »
Next start. 7 innings, 1 run, 11k, 4 hits, 1 walk.  Bank it.

Might be a little optimistic for Camden, but I'll give you 3 runs and a W.

Offline aussienatsfan

« Reply #174: August 17, 2016, 09:42:47 PM »
wouldn't be against skipping him a turn when possible, yeah i know we're not blessed in the rotation right now but i can see a case for frshening him up