Author Topic: STRAS EXTENDED!!! (7 years, $175 million)  (Read 28300 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
He didn't name the pitch. Maybe Stras will break it out soon

Knuckler.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
We're the reason he's stayin'.   

You know you might have a point.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
The Boz:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/stephen-strasburg-signing-proves-the-nationals-are-in-it-for-the-long-haul/2016/05/10/0b16bbe8-16b4-11e6-9e16-2e5a123aac62_story.html
This is a big day for the organization. I personally just assumed he was gone this offseason with Giolito sliding into his spot.

I am now pretty comfortable about the future of the franchise, even if we can't keep Harper. A couple years from now having Scherzer, Strasburg, and Giolito as the top three in your rotation gives you a fighting chance in any division, in any playoff series. I like it.

Offline imref

The Boz:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/stephen-strasburg-signing-proves-the-nationals-are-in-it-for-the-long-haul/2016/05/10/0b16bbe8-16b4-11e6-9e16-2e5a123aac62_story.html

the shutdown did play a large part in keeping Strasburg:

“The ethics of the franchise were important. They are medical first,” said Strasburg’s agent, Scott Boras, on Tuesday. “In advance of a season, they said, ‘This player’s health [is] a priority that exceeds all others.’ It’s an ethic in an organization that you don’t forget.”

Offline whytev

Re: STRAS EXTENDED!!!
« Reply #132: May 10, 2016, 04:53:28 PM »
MLB.com makes a good point -- we just gave the A's a big boost by signing Stras before FA. Any team hoping to sign a FA SP this offseason will probably have to look for a trade. Beane should be getting some nice offers for Sonny Gray.

Makes trade value of every pitcher go up. Scuttles next year's F.A. class for pitchers.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
Makes trade value of every pitcher go up. Scuttles next year's F.A. class for pitchers.

Yup -- Gray's just the only big name I've heard thrown out there yet. Apparently the Rays may move an arm.

Offline whytev

Yup -- Gray's just the only big name I've heard thrown out there yet. Apparently the Rays may move an arm.

Some medium names like, say, Tyson Ross just jumped in value too though.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
the shutdown did play a large part in keeping Strasburg:

Meh...eyewash.  Money and terms played the biggest part...

Offline nats4ever

The grass is never greener, Stephen.  NY, Boston, Chicago, LA...all pits.

Tell Bryce that, while you're at it.
You must be a yankees fan who reolocated to dc lol.

Offline Optics

As I said when it happened, the shutdown was something that would be in our favor when it came to keeping him here. People thought it'd piss Stras off but it sent a message to him that the organization had his best interests at heart and was even willing to risk punting a postseason run to make sure his long term health was ensured. You don't forget those who look out for you.

Offline HalfSmokes

Right, and I understand this point of view even though I think it becomes problematic that the best pitchers in the game all sign 7-year deals - so you're essentially saying that the team has to (a) develop guys like Scherzer/Strasburg etc. on a regular basis or (b) rely on pitchers who are 2nd tier or below carrying the team. Because there's no option (c) where you magically convince a pitcher to sign with you for 5-6 years when everyone knows he'll get 7 elsewhere.

But even this argument is separate from the argument that you get screwed by these opt-outs. Why exactly? It seems to me that you get screwed when the guy opts out AND you sign him to a new long-term deal, but that's an entirely different decision point. If we took the next 3-4 years of Strasburg and said thanks and farewell at that point, there's very little additional risk here and some major upside.

At the same time, how many World Series winners have pitchers on those seven year deals? Maybe you do have to develop/trade for those guys.

As far as opt puts, I don't think they're all bad for a team, sure if performance plummets or if there's a catostrophic injury, it's bad, but even if Stras has three cy youngs in a row, I'd be happy getting the best years of a seven year deal then wishing him good luck with his next team

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
He is so private and quiet that no one realized he actually liked it around here. 

Offline bk1998

He is so private and quiet that no one realized he actually liked it around here.

I know this is the feel-good narrative, but you've got to think that Boras put out feelers to the west coast clubs and didn't get the feeling that this offer would be topped.

Angels are in deep crap between terrible contracts and the worst minor league system in history.  Dodgers wouldn't offer Grienke more than $150... tough to think they'd give Strasburg much more than that given his inability to stay on the field...  Padres, LOL.

At the end of the day, I'm confident that it has a heck of a lot less to do with his comfort and more to do with taking the best deal out there.

Offline Ray D

I know this is the feel-good narrative, but you've got to think that Boras put out feelers to the west coast clubs and didn't get the feeling that this offer would be topped.
Of course that sort of communication would be strictly prohibited and deemed tampering...... but I'm sure that's what happened.

Offline imref

makes me hungry for seafood.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Is that a special event ?

makes me hungry for seafood.

Offline PC

Offline PC

Offline Ray D

Strasburg smiling is still so unnerving.
It's Boras smiling that give me the creeps.

Offline Truconfidence

Stras is gonna be bald really soon