Author Topic: STRAS EXTENDED!!! (7 years, $175 million)  (Read 28293 times)

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
Re: STRAS EXTENDED!!!
« Reply #75: May 10, 2016, 10:16:01 AM »
I heard one opt out after five years.

He'll be 32? Good for him -- if he actually stays healthy, he could turn another contract, a la Grienke. Surprised it's not at year 3 or 4 though, especially if it's a player option

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #76: May 10, 2016, 10:27:53 AM »
Strasburg breakdown, per person w/ knowledge: $15M per 2017-23. $70M deferred at no interest ($10M per in '24-30.) Much like Scherzer deal.

-Wagner

LAC :P

he really gave us a home team discount.  There's no reason to think, assuming he stays healthy this year, that he wouldn't have gotten well more than 7/$175 with less deferred money in FA.   Again, I have to think that the way we treated his TJ recovery had a lot to do with his decision-making.  The Nats, unlike Atlanta and NY, put pitcher's health ahead of winning.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #77: May 10, 2016, 10:34:54 AM »
he really gave us a home team discount.  There's no reason to think, assuming he stays healthy this year, that he wouldn't have gotten well more than 7/$175 with less deferred money in FA.   Again, I have to think that the way we treated his TJ recovery had a lot to do with his decision-making.  The Nats, unlike Atlanta and NY, put pitcher's health ahead of winning.
That's a good point.  I think the shut down did play a role in the signing.  The national media will never admit that because it does not fit their agenda.

How will the team sign any every day free agents with this deferred money?

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #78: May 10, 2016, 10:39:36 AM »
That's a good point.  I think the shut down did play a role in the signing.  The national media will never admit that because it does not fit their agenda.

How will the team sign any every day free agents with this deferred money?

Offer them way too much money, and they'll bite. Max did

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #79: May 10, 2016, 10:42:35 AM »
Offer them way too much money, and they'll bite. Max did
Well, this past offseason did not seem that was what they wanted to do.  We shall see--they need Robles and Stevenson to move fast through the system or do something to get some hitters.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #80: May 10, 2016, 10:43:36 AM »
Well, this past offseason did not seem that was what they wanted to do.  We shall see--they need Robles and Stevenson to move fast through the system or do something to get some hitters.

They didn't offer more money, especially if a good chunk was deferred.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #81: May 10, 2016, 10:46:19 AM »
2:15 on 106.7   ...   official announcement.   I suspect it'll be on MASN as well   ....   if there's not an Oreos replay from 2010.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #82: May 10, 2016, 10:47:58 AM »
When are the opt outs? How's that work with the deferrals, too?

Opt outs at years 3 and 4.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #83: May 10, 2016, 10:48:53 AM »
2:15 on 106.7   ...   official announcement.   I suspect it'll be on MASN as well   ....   if there's not an Oreos replay from 2010.

:crackup:

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #84: May 10, 2016, 10:49:37 AM »

Makes more sense.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #85: May 10, 2016, 11:14:33 AM »
"Strasburg would earn a $1 million performance bonus each year for pitching 180 innings. The new contract has an escape clause: Strasburg can opt out and become a free agent after the 2019 or 2020 seasons."

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #86: May 10, 2016, 11:15:32 AM »
prediction: harper is extended before the end of this year.

please baby jesus

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #87: May 10, 2016, 11:40:36 AM »
If the deferred money is guaranteed then he can opt out after 3 or 4 years and the deal isn't really a discount.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #88: May 10, 2016, 11:50:57 AM »
If the deferred money is guaranteed then he can opt out after 3 or 4 years and the deal isn't really a discount.

Yup, it's a $25M/yr deal, but everyone loves it and it's a discount!

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #89: May 10, 2016, 11:54:47 AM »
Yup, it's a $25M/yr deal, but everyone loves it and it's a discount!

It's more than that if he leaves after 3 or 4 years. But I don't really care if it's a discount or not. I'm just glad they paid to secure his services for a few more seasons. I think Strasburg is about to go to a different level of dominance. I just hope we can jettison some of the refuse around him so we can compete for a title.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #90: May 10, 2016, 12:15:56 PM »
It's more than that if he leaves after 3 or 4 years. But I don't really care if it's a discount or not. I'm just glad they paid to secure his services for a few more seasons. I think Strasburg is about to go to a different level of dominance. I just hope we can jettison some of the refuse around him so we can compete for a title.

True, if he opted out after 3 years, it'd actually be $38.3M/yr -- wow. This is assuming that the entire portion of the deferral is guaranteed (sounds like it is?). Why the hell would he not opt, if he had $70M guaranteed?

Offline Ray D

« Reply #91: May 10, 2016, 12:26:25 PM »
5 would have made sense.  3 and 4? That's a terrible deal.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #92: May 10, 2016, 01:07:56 PM »

Chattering class thinks that's why Stras/Boras took the deal.   That was their "give back" from the team for extending.

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #93: May 10, 2016, 01:16:25 PM »
Kudos to Stras. He fooled the haters.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #94: May 10, 2016, 01:17:13 PM »
Chattering class thinks that's why Stras/Boras took the deal.   That was their "give back" from the team for extending.
Yea. It's not terrible. He could have gotten more on the open market. So team had to provide opt outs.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #95: May 10, 2016, 01:17:51 PM »
So apparently the deal is that if he opts out, he gets only the deferred money from the years where he stuck around. So if he opts out after three years, it's 3/45 with an extra 30 mil deferred for 3/75. (My source here is Dave Cameron at FanGraphs.)

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #96: May 10, 2016, 01:27:11 PM »

I still don't understand this point of view.

Okay, people make the point that the only guys who don't opt out are guys who get injured/start to suck. Well yeah, but aren't all baseball contracts fully guaranteed, besides the odd option year? So even if there isn't an opt out, you're not insured against having to pay the albatross contract of a pitcher who gets injured.

And second, who's to say it'll make sense for the Nats to re-sign him in 3/4 years? There are plenty of scenarios I could envision where you let a 30/31 year old pitcher walk instead of re-signing him. All you need it pitcher development, team regression, or a combination of both to make it make sense.

Third, what's the alternative - that we DON'T SIGN HIM AT ALL? That's BETTER?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #97: May 10, 2016, 01:29:35 PM »
I think the TJ surgery (his general health issues as well) is the moving part in all this.    Each side is hedging their bet.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #98: May 10, 2016, 01:36:16 PM »
So apparently the deal is that if he opts out, he gets only the deferred money from the years where he stuck around. So if he opts out after three years, it's 3/45 with an extra 30 mil deferred for 3/75. (My source here is Dave Cameron at FanGraphs.)

That's what I expected ($25M/yr), but the WaPo article made it sound like all $70M is getting paid out.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #99: May 10, 2016, 01:40:46 PM »
I still don't understand this point of view.

Okay, people make the point that the only guys who don't opt out are guys who get injured/start to suck. Well yeah, but aren't all baseball contracts fully guaranteed, besides the odd option year? So even if there isn't an opt out, you're not insured against having to pay the albatross contract of a pitcher who gets injured.

And second, who's to say it'll make sense for the Nats to re-sign him in 3/4 years? There are plenty of scenarios I could envision where you let a 30/31 year old pitcher walk instead of re-signing him. All you need it pitcher development, team regression, or a combination of both to make it make sense.

Third, what's the alternative - that we DON'T SIGN HIM AT ALL? That's BETTER?

I'm against signing pitchers to 7 year deals. Outside of Felix (Kershaw was an arbitration buyout too), we haven't seen a long-term deal be a great (hell, even good) idea. I guess the Grienke deal was a good one, but he also opted out, so there's that.