Author Topic: It's much worse than you think...  (Read 6204 times)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Re: It's much worse than you think...
« Reply #50: May 16, 2016, 11:36:15 AM »
WompWompAllThe Way

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #51: May 16, 2016, 12:45:11 PM »
Baseball is way too long a season to worry when the W% column is close to .750.

This is a problem with many Nats supporters - still too locked-in to an NFL operating philosophy in which a two-match losing streak really is a cause for concern. Relax...it's 162 matches, not 16, and consecutive losses will occur with even historically great teams.

Offline Monarch

« Reply #52: May 16, 2016, 02:09:49 PM »
our record is great at this point of the season. the problem (that has lasted at least 3 seasons now) is that we get runners on base and can't find a way to score. its frustrating and will cost us a ton of games at some point.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #53: May 16, 2016, 02:12:43 PM »
Just look at the historically great Metropolitans.  We all know they're an easy lock to win the division, and they've just reeled off 2 of those two-match losing streaks in a row.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #54: May 16, 2016, 02:13:46 PM »
WompWompAllThe Way

I know you love it.   :eyebrows:

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #55: May 16, 2016, 02:22:17 PM »
our record is great at this point of the season. the problem (that has lasted at least 3 seasons now) is that we get runners on base and can't find a way to score. its frustrating and will cost us a ton of games at some point.
Currently batting .238 with RISP as a team.  Only the Phillies, Diamondbacks, and Mets are worse in the NL.  In fact, the Mets are the worst in baseball at a lowly .210.  That said, our number can be reasonably expected to go up as Revere, Rendon, and Zimmerman continue to find their swings.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #56: May 16, 2016, 02:28:42 PM »
Currently batting .238 with RISP as a team.  Only the Phillies, Diamondbacks, and Mets are worse in the NL.  In fact, the Mets are the worst in baseball at a lowly .210.  That said, our number can be reasonably expected to go up as Revere, Rendon, and Zimmerman continue to find their swings.

As they continue to find their swings?

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #57: May 16, 2016, 02:32:25 PM »
As they continue to find their swings?

Most of the starters are between 100 and 150 at bats so far in 2016.    The onslaught could begin at any time.    :mg:

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #58: May 16, 2016, 02:52:59 PM »
Most of the starters are between 100 and 150 at bats so far in 2016.    The onslaught could begin at any time.    :mg:
That infamous 100 ABs, only affects the Nats.  All the other teams' players start to contribute right away.   :P

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #59: May 16, 2016, 03:38:39 PM »
That infamous 100 ABs, only affects the Nats.  All the other teams' players start to contribute right away.   :P
Like the Mets who are hitting .210 with RISP?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #60: May 16, 2016, 03:50:53 PM »
Thank god for the Mets, still can't believe they let Murphy go

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #61: May 16, 2016, 04:44:08 PM »
Imagine if Cespedes had decided to sign with us rather than the Metropolitans. 

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #62: May 16, 2016, 04:45:14 PM »
Imagine if Cespedes had decided to sign with us rather than the Metropolitans. 
I don't think either side was ever seriously considering that.  I think Cespedes wanted to use us to drive up the price for the Mets and we were all too happy to oblige.

Offline Optics

« Reply #63: May 16, 2016, 05:33:01 PM »
Hitting with RISP continues to be a problem. It has been really since 2012. I think its just the makeup of some of our middle/lower lineup hitters and how streaky they tend to be. The offense is just filled with really streaky hitters. I think as we see more games with Murphy hitting 4th that could go up. I'd like to see Ramos hit higher too, he should be hitting no lower then 5th. Zimm and Werth are awful and should be bottom of the order guys.

Also need Revere and Rendon to get it going 1-2. If Harper got more ABs with men on you'd see the RISP batting average go up as Harper would actually get pitches to hit and you know he'll come through when he actually gets stuff he can hit.

Our starting pitching is very good and the bullpen appears to be much better. Some Murphy blunders aside(which are to be expected)the defense is better as well, and Dusty Baker runs circles around Matt Williams as Manager. We'll win 90+ games and be right in the thick of the NL East race until the very end.

Offline Monarch

« Reply #64: May 16, 2016, 05:50:49 PM »
we are currently 25th in MLB in stranded base runners at 7.29 per game. should note that the Cubs are worse than us at 8.03/gm. personally I can't believe any team is worse than us.

https://www.teamrankings.com/mlb/stat/team-left-on-base-per-game

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #65: May 16, 2016, 05:58:17 PM »
Nationals are 12th in OBP.  Low batting average (.242 overall) plus solid OBP will lead to stranded runners.  Cubs of course are the leaders in OBP. Lots of guys on will produce a lot of stranded runners too, even with a normal (.263 overall) batting average.

Offline Optics

« Reply #66: May 16, 2016, 06:04:54 PM »
I wonder where we stand in double plays, particularly double plays with a man on 3rd less then 2 outs.

Offline Monarch

« Reply #67: May 16, 2016, 06:06:16 PM »
Nationals are 12th in OBP.  Low batting average (.242 overall) plus solid OBP will lead to stranded runners.  Cubs of course are the leaders in OBP. Lots of guys on will produce a lot of stranded runners too, even with a normal (.263 overall) batting average.

how does the coaching staff fix this? not that its easy, but there's got to be some kind of adjustment other than getting better players.

Offline Monarch

« Reply #68: May 16, 2016, 06:09:06 PM »
I wonder where we stand in double plays, particularly double plays with a man on 3rd less then 2 outs.

actually that's one of our better stats (21 total - 4th best in MLB. SF is the worst with double that). http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/batting/sort/GIDPs/type/expanded-2/order/true

though I couldn't find about runner on 3rd with less than 2 outs.

Offline Optics

« Reply #69: May 16, 2016, 06:12:33 PM »
actually that's one of our better stats (21 total - 4th best in MLB. SF is the worst with double that). http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/batting/sort/GIDPs/type/expanded-2/order/true

though I couldn't find about runner on 3rd with less than 2 outs.

Wow, I thought we'd be among the worst.

But I guess GIDPs in baseball are like penalties in football or FT shooting in basketball. Every fanbase thinks their team is the worst at it.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #70: May 16, 2016, 06:54:55 PM »
we are currently 25th in MLB in stranded base runners at 7.29 per game. should note that the Cubs are worse than us at 8.03/gm. personally I can't believe any team is worse than us.

You have to get runners to strand them- it seems like something that may just indicate a prolific offense (or crappy hitting with risp)

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #71: May 16, 2016, 07:26:41 PM »
Interesting series with the Mets. Nats pitching is pretty good: Scherzer and Strasburg are aces, Gio a fine number 3 starter, Roark and Ross pretty good for 4th and 5th starters. Nats relief pitching mostly good. Hitting: Rendon and Revere ought to improve. Zimmerman might be pulling out of his slump. Werth? Not yet. Espinosa is a terrific fielding shortstop.

Mets starters have not been as good as expected. Harvey has not been effective lately. Matz had to miss a start. Their hitting has mostly been Cespedes, Walker, and Conforto...Wright may be feeling his back problem and Granderson might, finally, be feeling his age.

Series should be even.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #72: May 16, 2016, 07:43:53 PM »

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #73: May 16, 2016, 08:01:06 PM »

Who cares if you leave 8.03 guys on base every game if you also knock in 10 of them.  Fairly meaningless stat if you ask me.  Stranded base runners divided by runs scored might make more sense.

Offline Monarch

« Reply #74: May 17, 2016, 06:52:32 AM »
Who cares if you leave 8.03 guys on base every game if you also knock in 10 of them.  Fairly meaningless stat if you ask me.  Stranded base runners divided by runs scored might make more sense.

Meaningless for the Cubs maybe. Not for the Nats. That's the point.