Author Topic: MLB expansion to 32 teams inevitable, commissioner says  (Read 2439 times)

Offline lylelgreen

MLB expansion to 32 teams inevitable, commissioner says

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/ct-baseball-expansion-manfred-20160421-story.html

By Joe Knowles
Chicago Tribune

While he did not provide a timetable for it, Major League Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred indicated Thursday that expansion from 30 to 32 teams was inevitable if not imminent.

“Multiples of fours just work better (for scheduling) than multiples of fives,” Manfred said during a meeting with sports editors from around the country.

But before any decisions were made on expansion, Manfred said, “stadium issues in Tampa Bay and Oakland would need to be resolved,” hinting that the Rays and Athletics could be candidates for relocation if they did not find a way to upgrade or replace their existing facilities.

Manfred said he foresees that expansion could be “outside the contiguous 48 states” and mentioned that he had engaged in discussions with the city of Montreal about bringing major league baseball back to Canada’s second-largest city.

Manfred also addressed the “unwritten rules” of the game and some of the exuberant behavior – bat flips and showy celebrations – that has drawn criticism from former players.

“The (current) players are going define those unwritten rules about what’s acceptable and what’s unacceptable,” Manfred said. “Players will find a middle ground.”

The commissioner touched on issues of fan safety, saying that he’ll need “to let the dust settle a little bit” to gauge the effectiveness of the new protective netting put in place at MLB parks for the 2016 season.

“We’ll look at it during the offseason to see if we want to go further,” Manfred said.

Asked about the playoff format, Manfred acknowledged that the one-game wild-card playoff was unforgiving, but that “it’s where we’re going to be for a little bit.”

Referring to the Pittsburgh Pirates, who were knocked out in the one-game playoff in each of the past two seasons, Manfred was sympathetic but said he was “comfortable with the format.”

In 2014, the Pirates were shutout by Madison Bumgarner and the San Francisco Giants and the shutout again by Jake Arrieta and the Cubs last October.

“When you hit that hot pitcher two years in a row, that’s tough,” Manfred said.

Offline machpost

Hmmm, regarding Tampa Bay and Oakland, 28 is also a multiple of 4.

Offline DPMOmaha

Hmmm, regarding Tampa Bay and Oakland, 28 is also a multiple of 4.
I get what your saying, but it doesn't work well for divisions.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
TB & Oakland (Miami too......) should move + two more? I can't really think of 4 cities for a team? PR? Montreal? San Ant? Las Vegas? Portland? All have issues

Offline _sturt_

• "Le Grande Orange"...Colt 45/Astro/Expo(Nat) Great
Tampa Bay and Oakland have been such difficult markets for MLB over the years, I'm one of those who would be more inclined to think his statement does, indeed, have more to do with making a subtle nudge... or threat, may be the better term... that those locations had best figure out their stadium issues.

He's right, of course... we all realize 32 is a better number, but it's been a better number for a loooooong time... there are clear economic reasons that's kept MLB from adding two more teams.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
TB & Oakland (Miami too......) should move + two more? I can't really think of 4 cities for a team? PR? Montreal? San Ant? Las Vegas? Portland? All have issues

Milwaukee is interested in a Major League team...

Offline DPMOmaha

Montreal will be a spot. Book it. Too much smoke there.

I don't think TB and Oakland will move. TB, especially, I think will stay now that it looks likely they'll be getting a new stadium. Miami's definitely not moving.

So, really, you only need to find one city. Two at most. Charlotte could be an option. I think Columbus, OH could support one, but they've got a bunch of teams in that area already.

What about Vancouver?

Offline _sturt_

• "Le Grande Orange"...Colt 45/Astro/Expo(Nat) Great
Milwaukee is interested in a Major League team...

:mg:

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
I get what your saying, but it doesn't work well for divisions.

I can't imagine that the MLPA will accept shrinking the league by two teams.  It just eliminates too many jobs.  Expansion is always the easier route.

So where could they go?  Montreal and Mexico City are the easy choices.  I don't see MLB ever going to Las Vegas.  Charlotte might be a decent option but I'd imagine the Braves would fight it.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

I don't think TB and Oakland will move. TB, especially, I think will stay now that it looks likely they'll be getting a new stadium. Miami's definitely not moving.

So, really, you only need to find one city. Two at most. Charlotte could be an option. I think Columbus, OH could support one, but they've got a bunch of teams in that area already.

What about Vancouver?

Columbus is too close to Cincy.  Vancouver is too close to Seattle.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
Miami's definitely not moving.

Just a joke -- for a team with so much success in such a short time period, and a fantastic new ballpark, you'd think they'd be able to draw more than a couple hundred people to a game...

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
I don't see Charlotte or Columbus happening. San Antonio would be my guess. Maybe Portland. Or Brooklyn (barf). Montreal won't get a stadium built

Offline DPMOmaha

Montreal won't get a stadium built
Perhaps. But they'll be one of the new cities, either by expansion or relocation.

I think Charlotte is a decent possibility, though.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
We've had relocation speculation threads before.  I'm partial to Montreal and a 3d team in NY area, with maybe some warm weather options like Charlotte.  Havana?

Offline UMDNats

Nashville has a AAA team, I could see them getting one eventually, same with Charlotte.

I do not understand the obsession with putting a team back in Montreal.

Offline DPMOmaha

Nashville has a AAA team, I could see them getting one eventually, same with Charlotte.

I do not understand the obsession with putting a team back in Montreal.
It's mostly just reading the smoke. There's been a lot of it around Montreal for the past few years.

If we're looking at good AAA towns, Indianapolis would be on the list as well.

Offline UMDNats

We've had relocation speculation threads before.  I'm partial to Montreal and a 3d team in NY area, with maybe some warm weather options like Charlotte.  Havana?

A third team in the NYC area? I don't know about that. Where do they get their fans? The Mets and Yankees already have such a football on NJ, NY and CT (plus the Red Sox there). It would take multiple generations to get a solid fanbase. Plus, where? I don't see a good location in the immediate NYC area.

I think Charlotte, Nashville and Austin are possibilities.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
I bumped the expansion cities thread. I think what Manfred said is news enough not to merge, but if you want to talk about the merits of particular cities, you may want to look at that thread.

http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=32443.0

Offline machpost

Havana?

I think that 20 years from now, you'll very likely see a Major League team in Havana. A lot has to change before that happens. Same with San Juan: their economy certainly couldn't support a team there right now, but if their economic situation improves over time, it's going to be a viable market. Like in Cuba, people are nuts about baseball down there.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
A third team in the NYC area? I don't know about that. Where do they get their fans? The Mets and Yankees already have such a football on NJ, NY and CT (plus the Red Sox there). It would take multiple generations to get a solid fanbase. Plus, where? I don't see a good location in the immediate NYC area.

I think Charlotte, Nashville and Austin are possibilities.
Hartford!

Offline whytev

What about Vancouver?

NOPE!

Offline whytev

Columbus is too close to Cincy.  Vancouver is too close to Seattle.

It's a 3.5 hour drive. How far is Baltimore from Washington?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
It's a 3.5 hour drive. How far is Baltimore from Washington?
about 3.5 hours on a weeknight.

Offline RiotAct

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
I wonder if/when Montreal comes back... do the Nats finally drop the Expos lineage and just have Nats records/HOF?