Author Topic: Top prospect lists for 2016 season  (Read 5375 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: Top prospect lists for 2016 season
« Reply #75: July 07, 2016, 10:24:44 AM »
Power. I guess the Phils tried messing with his swing a bit too after he struggled. He was really thrown into the fire after Werth left. I guess he never was a good OF either. Here's a great read on that: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-dramatic-decline-of-domonic-brown/

Robles has a shorter swing from what I seen and read, with natural power. Add in more speed, maybe a better approach (it's way too early to tell), and an actual OF position and I think there's a little less risk there.
Sounds like a ball player!  If it cools down I will take in Robles  and Schrock at the PNats one night.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #76: July 07, 2016, 10:32:00 AM »
Robles has a shorter swing from what I seen and read, with natural power.

You could ignore it in the steroid era, but nowadays if you want to be a premium hitting prospect there's no substitute for contact + power. When you add speed to that mix (in the form of likely BABIP) you start bringing down the risk considerably.

For example, I'm not sure I believe that Robles is higher risk than a Joey Gallo, despite how much further along Joey Gallo is.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #77: July 07, 2016, 10:40:09 AM »
Sounds like a ball player!  If it cools down I will take in Robles  and Schrock at the PNats one night.

I'm still hoping I can get down there Sun or Mon evening when I'm in town.

You could ignore it in the steroid era, but nowadays if you want to be a premium hitting prospect there's no substitute for contact + power. When you add speed to that mix (in the form of likely BABIP) you start bringing down the risk considerably.

For example, I'm not sure I believe that Robles is higher risk than a Joey Gallo, despite how much further along Joey Gallo is.

I tend to agree, but it's hard to argue against the huge power potential Gallo has (and has shown). If you can draw walks, you can always be an Adam Dunn. Question is if he can or not.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #80: July 19, 2016, 10:34:39 AM »
That projected 2019 lineup is interesting.

If Gio Gonzalez is still here in 2019, I'll be pissed.

For reference, BA's projected 2016 lineup from 2013:

Catcher            Wilson Ramos
First Base         Ryan Zimmerman
Second Base    Danny Espinosa
Third Base        Anthony Rendon
Shortstop         Ian Desmond
Left Field          Brian Goodwin
Center Field     Denard Span
Right Field        Bryce Harper
No. 1 Starter    Stephen Strasburg
No. 2 Starter    Lucas Giolito
No. 3 Starter    Gio Gonzalez
No. 4 Starter    Jordan Zimmermann
No. 5 Starter    Ross Detwiler
Closer              Drew Storen

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #81: July 19, 2016, 10:37:40 AM »
8 of 14 ain't a bad guess.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #82: July 19, 2016, 10:43:29 AM »
That projected 2019 lineup is interesting.
Seeing Zimm at 1B and Gio in the rotation is downright scary.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #83: July 19, 2016, 10:45:48 AM »
That's as much an indication of RZ blocking any prospect and maybe the lack of another lefty for the rotation.  Notice where they think Lopez will end up.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #84: July 19, 2016, 10:46:50 AM »
Gio won't be here then. I guess I'm not as concerned about Zim as others. He's here through 2020 unless he retires before then, which I wouldn't expect, but can live with him being around as long as he wants to be here. I don't think we've seen the last good season from Zim, either.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #85: July 19, 2016, 10:54:32 AM »
Gio won't be here then. I guess I'm not as concerned about Zim as others. He's here through 2020 unless he retires before then, which I wouldn't expect, but can live with him being around as long as he wants to be here. I don't think we've seen the last good season from Zim, either.
Why do you think Zimm will have another good season?  He seems to stubborn to change his approach.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #86: July 19, 2016, 11:00:06 AM »
Why do you think Zimm will have another good season?  He seems to stubborn to change his approach.
Yes, I do. That approach has worked for a long time. If he doesn't get it righted by the end of this season, he may be more open to it, IDK. Lots of players have made changes at the end of their careers to try and regain productivity after doing things the same way for a long time. It wouldn't be remotely unprecedented.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #87: July 19, 2016, 11:08:40 AM »
Yes, I do. That approach has worked for a long time. If he doesn't get it righted by the end of this season, he may be more open to it, IDK. Lots of players have made changes at the end of their careers to try and regain productivity after doing things the same way for a long time. It wouldn't be remotely unprecedented.
Looks like he is standing too far away and bat speed has slowed down. Move closer. Lighter bat. And cut down on swing some.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #88: July 19, 2016, 11:10:16 AM »
Looks like he is standing too far away and bat speed has slowed down. Move to another city closer. Lighter bat. And cut down on swing some.

This would be mo betta...

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #89: July 19, 2016, 11:16:29 AM »
I don't know why they still bother to do those future lineups. Face will be on the team, either way, since his contract sucks. It's not unreasonable to just slot him there.

Prospect talk though. Anyone have the list?

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #90: July 19, 2016, 11:17:46 AM »
Based on their hashtags, I'm guessing they still have Difo in the top 10...

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #91: July 19, 2016, 11:17:58 AM »
Prospect talk though. Anyone have the list?
2019 PROJECTED LINEUP
C Wilson Ramos
1B Ryan Zimmerman
2B Danny Espinosa
3B Anthony Rendon
SS Trea Turner
LF Victor Robles
CF Michael Taylor
Right field: Bryce Harper
No. 1 Starter: Stephen Strasburg
No. 2 Starter: Lucas Giolito
No. 3 Starter: Max Scherzer
No. 4 Starter: Joe Ross
No. 5 Starter: Gio Gonzalez
Closer: Reynaldo Lopez

Have to be a subscriber to get the full list. :(

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #92: July 19, 2016, 11:18:01 AM »
This would be mo betta...
True. Maybe if Norfolk gets a MLB team he can waive his no trade.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #93: July 19, 2016, 11:20:01 AM »
Have to be a subscriber to get the full list. :(

Yup. I sent a PM to a WNFFer w/ a sub!

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #94: July 19, 2016, 11:30:24 AM »
Yeah like many have said I doubt Gio is still on the team in 2019.

Drew Ward is a guy to watch out for as far as taking time away from Zimmerman. I'd also hope Fedde is ready to come in and add a lefty to our rotation at that point. Ramos isn't under contract for next season so pending extension and staying in house it'd either be Severino/Keiboom as Catcher.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #95: July 19, 2016, 11:32:10 AM »
Yeah like many have said I doubt Gio is still on the team in 2019.

Drew Ward is a guy to watch out for as far as taking time away from Zimmerman. I'd also hope Fedde is ready to come in and add a lefty to our rotation at that point. Ramos isn't under contract for next season so pending extension and staying in house it'd either be Severino/Keiboom as Catcher.
Fedde is a right handed pitcher.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #96: July 19, 2016, 12:12:18 PM »
Ward has been great this season in Potomac. He's finally get challenged at AA, so we'll see how he finishes the season.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #97: July 19, 2016, 12:25:08 PM »
Ward has been great this season in Potomac. He's finally get challenged at AA, so we'll see how he finishes the season.
Ward and Stevenson are struggling right now in Harrisburg. Robles is okay but still adjusting. Schrock is killing it.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #98: July 19, 2016, 12:33:14 PM »
Ward and Stevenson are struggling right now in Harrisburg. Robles is okay but still adjusting. Schrock is killing it.

Got hit by a pitch leading off the game yesterday and left immediately (they ran for him).  That's not a good sign.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #99: July 19, 2016, 12:34:59 PM »
Got hit by a pitch leading off the game yesterday and left immediately (they ran for him).  That's not a good sign.

Saw the video. Looked bad. That pitch was gunned at nearly 99 MPH. Hope it's just a stinger, and not a wrist/hand injury.