Author Topic: DC Strangler Fan Club  (Read 35060 times)

Offline sportsfan882

Re: Papelbon Deviants Fan Club
« Reply #100: May 03, 2016, 11:56:44 PM »
From Kilgore: Before tonight, Papelbon had 11 swinging strikes in 11 1/3 innings. Pretty scary in the ninth.

Offline dshawg77

« Reply #101: May 04, 2016, 12:22:53 AM »
yeah I am done with him

Who wasn't? I would have cut him and ate the whole contract. Rizzo really screwed the pooch.

Offline ZimW1N

• ResignSoto2025
« Reply #102: May 04, 2016, 12:39:26 AM »
I really hope we pick up a closer at the trade dealine and Paps gets "injured "

Offline Irrefutable

« Reply #103: May 04, 2016, 05:26:17 AM »
Time for a new closer.

no doubt about it... what would their record be if they had a decent closer ? + 3 wins ?

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #104: May 04, 2016, 06:14:33 AM »
Mods - can you change the name of this thread to "Cut Papelbon Fan Club"

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #105: May 04, 2016, 07:17:09 AM »
Harper goes 0-5 with three strike outs, cut them both.

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #106: May 04, 2016, 08:31:43 AM »
Papelbon needs to be the "every now and then" one inning (but not the 9th) relief pitcher...until the Nats trade him for anybody.

Offline dshawg77

« Reply #107: May 04, 2016, 08:33:00 AM »
Papelbon needs to be the "every now and then" one inning (but not the 9th) relief pitcher...until the Nats trade him for anybody.

Nobody is trading for this guy. Nobody.

Just eat the salary. Move on.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #108: May 04, 2016, 08:46:07 AM »
Mods - can you change the name of this thread to "Cut Papelbon Fan Club"
you have the power.  Just change the first post, which is yours.

Offline PC

« Reply #109: May 04, 2016, 08:50:43 AM »
I hate to come to Papelbon's defense, at least in part, but the three batters he faced  on Monday were the exact three who started the inning on Tuesday.  That part is just bad luck.

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #110: May 04, 2016, 09:03:12 AM »
Nobody is trading for this guy. Nobody.

Just eat the salary. Move on.

I think Tony Renda might be available. Or Ross Detwiler.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #111: May 04, 2016, 09:06:21 AM »
FWIW, he's also converted more high leverage (close - not the 3 run lead games) chances than just about any other NL closer, other than Jeanmar Gomez. 2 blown saves ties him with Santiago Casilla out of the regular closers in the NL.  Ziegler, Cishek, and Davis are the only perfect closers with higher average leverage.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/MLB/2016-reliever-pitching.shtml
That said, I hate tight-rope closers who do not draw swings and misses.  He's pitching like Chad Cordero, Rafael Soriano, and the other assorted heart attack cases we've had.  I'm sort of with Slate on this one. I'd love a Miller type on this team.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #112: May 04, 2016, 09:09:29 AM »
I think Tony Renda might be available. Or Ross Detwiler.

Detwiler just got DFA'ed. We can have him for practically free!

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #113: May 04, 2016, 09:10:50 AM »
It's not often that a first-place team might be able to DFA its closer and have nobody pick him up.  Even when you consider the minimum salary a new team would pay, the guy's old, a jerk, his stuff doesn't look impressive, and he has a negative WAR since coming to DC.  There's not much to recommend him, really, except that he used to be good.  I'm calling him Rafael Papelbon until further notice.

FWIW, he's also converted more high leverage (close - not the 3 run lead games) chances than just about any other NL closer, other than Jeanmar Gomez. 2 blown saves ties him with Santiago Casilla out of the regular closers in the NL.

That's nice and all, but (1) his peripherals, even before last night, suggest that's more luck than anything else (especially considering the leverage), and (2) it's hardly a major achievement to come into a game with the bases empty and get 3 outs without giving up two runs - one run is better, yes, but again, I've never been impressed with these egotists who demand that they only pitch in the ninth inning of close games and then get mad when the fans get after them for messing up those very situations.  Papelbon is a prime example of that.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #114: May 04, 2016, 09:35:13 AM »
It's not often that a first-place team might be able to DFA its closer and have nobody pick him up.  Even when you consider the minimum salary a new team would pay, the guy's old, a jerk, his stuff doesn't look impressive, and he has a negative WAR since coming to DC.  There's not much to recommend him, really, except that he used to be good.  I'm calling him Rafael Papelbon until further notice.

That's nice and all, but (1) his peripherals, even before last night, suggest that's more luck than anything else (especially considering the leverage), and (2) it's hardly a major achievement to come into a game with the bases empty and get 3 outs without giving up two runs - one run is better, yes, but again, I've never been impressed with these egotists who demand that they only pitch in the ninth inning of close games and then get mad when the fans get after them for messing up those very situations.  Papelbon is a prime example of that.

:minigunz: :minigunz: :minigunz: :minigunz:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #115: May 04, 2016, 09:38:44 AM »

Oh, I agree with most of what you have said.  This isn't even the most disemboweling blown save I've seen from him (that'd be 2009 Game 3 of the ALDS, which went down almost exactly like this).  It's his peripherals (too much contact), heart attack waiting to happen approach I can't stand.  This one game really doesn't change much for me. It's going from a "fan club" to a lynch mob because instead of a series of 1 run saves, he blows a two run lead on a string of hits that I don't get.  Guess what - you give up contact, you are going to have games when a string drops in and you blow a save.   Most of the time, you'll get the 3 outs without giving up a run even when you have pitch to contact stuff.  As you say, it isn't that major of an achievement.  For me, I want Treinen or Rivero in higher lev situations. If that is the 8th, fine, let Paps do his clean inning thing behind it. If it is the 9th, too, then I want a better option, but I'm not going to go too ballistic over a guy who delivers 85% of the time.

It's funny though - as for "closer mentality," you had pretty much the opposite in Drew Storen.  The guy had the swing and miss stuff, just he was super-fragile in pressure.  Papelbon's one asset is this will not impact his performance in the next game.   

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #116: May 04, 2016, 09:41:48 AM »
I might be mindfacting here, but I think he fails when he's pitched several games more or less in a row.  (I wouldn't know how to look that up.)

Maybe the FO should start using him 2 games, then rest. For other games, test Rivero and Treinen. 

Offline Ray D

« Reply #117: May 04, 2016, 09:51:57 AM »
I got physically ill last night watching him blow that game.

Offline Monarch

« Reply #118: May 04, 2016, 10:06:28 AM »
I'm afraid that unless he's injured, we're stuck with him this season. we aren't cutting him and no one is trading for him. last night is going to just happen every so often. he was fine the night before. I wish we had a better option just like the rest of you, but its just not in the card. Rizzo made this decision and he's going to stick with it. just like he did with Soriano. just get used to it and hope for the best.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #119: May 04, 2016, 10:07:14 AM »
I might be mindfacting here, but I think he fails when he's pitched several games more or less in a row.  (I wouldn't know how to look that up.)

Maybe the FO should start using him 2 games, then rest. For other games, test Rivero and Treinen.

He didn't pitch on Sunday, so last night was 2 games in a row. I can totally get behind not wanting to push the closer or really any of the pen guys to 3 games in a row, but the guy has got to be able to give you two in a row. How elite is a closer who needs every other day off?

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #120: May 04, 2016, 10:08:58 AM »
It's funny though - as for "closer mentality," you had pretty much the opposite in Drew Storen.  The guy had the swing and miss stuff, just he was super-fragile in pressure.  Papelbon's one asset is this will not impact his performance in the next game.

This part in particular is spot on.

He didn't pitch on Sunday, so last night was 2 games in a row. I can totally get behind not wanting to push the closer or really any of the pen guys to 3 games in a row, but the guy has got to be able to give you two in a row. How elite is a closer who needs every other day off?

Point taken, but I think the "elite" question long ago sailed in this case.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #121: May 04, 2016, 10:09:54 AM »
Well, we've established that he's not elite. :D

Thanks for straightening me out about my mindfact.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #122: May 04, 2016, 10:21:41 AM »
It's funny though - as for "closer mentality," you had pretty much the opposite in Drew Storen.  The guy had the swing and miss stuff, just he was super-fragile in pressure. Papelbon's one asset is this will not impact his performance in the next game.

Yeah, he'll suck then, too.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #123: May 04, 2016, 10:29:28 AM »

Point taken, but I think the "elite" question long ago sailed in this case.

Well, we've established that he's not elite. :D

Oh "elite" is not my choice of words. I've just seen it used way too many times regarding Pap, I guess because he's had a long career and a lot of saves. But that doesn't mean he's good now.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #124: May 04, 2016, 11:01:35 AM »
Oh "elite" is not my choice of words. I've just seen it used way too many times regarding Pap, I guess because he's had a long career and a lot of saves. But that doesn't mean he's good now.
How about "broken down, old, ramshackle closer?"  :)