Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Juan Soto, OF  (Read 18834 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Follow the Prospects: Juan Soto, OF
« Reply #125: May 07, 2018, 11:32:12 AM »
NatsGM is :az: over Soto:  http://natsgm.com/2018/05/05/juan-soto-is-special/

don't read the comments unless you want a horrible Styx song stuck in your head.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #126: May 07, 2018, 12:52:45 PM »
Putting Harper at 1B would make him happier than a pig in crap. He'd be involved in virtually every play.

Even with some projection, Soto would be pretty clearly the worst defensive OF of all those guys unless Royce runs into walls at a rate of 1 a week.  He'd have both the worst range and the worst arm (by quite a lot in the latter case).   I think he can play OF, but I don't think he'd be anything but average in LF or below-average in RF.   If the concern is to prevent Harper from running into walls, fine, but putting him at 1B wastes his best defensive tool.

Online imref

« Reply #127: May 07, 2018, 01:57:38 PM »

Online imref

« Reply #128: May 07, 2018, 02:00:38 PM »
Putting Harper at 1B would make him happier than a pig in crap. He'd be involved in virtually every play.

Re-sign Harper, put Soto at First.

2020 lineup:
1. Eaton(L) LF
2. Turner (R) SS
3. Harper(L) RF
4. Rendon(R) 3B
5. Soto(L) 1B
6. Robles(R) CF
7. Kieboom (R) or Difo (S) 2B
8. Severino (R) C

Online imref

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #130: May 09, 2018, 03:53:45 PM »
I was wrong on Soto. I never was high on him until this year. He looks like a legit hitting prospect. Maybe our first baseman of the future.

Online imref

« Reply #131: May 09, 2018, 03:54:59 PM »
I was wrong on Soto. I never was high on him until this year. He looks like a legit hitting prospect. Maybe our first baseman of the future.

isn't that José Marmolejos?

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #132: May 10, 2018, 02:30:49 AM »
isn't that José Marmolejos?
I hope not Marmolejos doesnt have the power to play 1b in the majors. he is a 12-15 HR guy who hits .270

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #133: May 10, 2018, 01:07:17 PM »
Juan Soto has been promoted to AA Harrisburg!

Online imref

« Reply #134: May 10, 2018, 01:10:47 PM »

Wow.  Could we see him in September in D.C.?

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #135: May 10, 2018, 01:13:04 PM »
Re-sign Harper, put Soto at First.

2020 lineup:
1. Eaton(L) LF
2. Turner (R) SS
3. Harper(L) RF
4. Rendon(R) 3B
5. Soto(L) 1B
6. Robles(R) CF
7. Kieboom (R) or Difo (S) 2B
8. Severino (R) C

I doubt Eaton is back by 2020.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #136: May 10, 2018, 01:54:04 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised to see him when rosters expand, assuming they can find a spot on the 40-man for him, but it would likely be more for his benefit and not the team's. It would give him a chance to experience life in the big club, including the travel and the crowd sizes, so that when he comes up to the big leagues in 2019 or 2020, there won't be such a rough adjustment period.   I'd imagine this promotion is just as much about keeping Soto constantly challenged and progressing as it is about getting him out of the Pfitz-- he is quickly becoming the jewel in the Nats' farm crown, and they probably don't want him sliding around in their sloppy no-drainage outfield.

Online imref

« Reply #137: May 10, 2018, 02:19:36 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised to see him when rosters expand, assuming they can find a spot on the 40-man for him, but it would likely be more for his benefit and not the team's. It would give him a chance to experience life in the big club, including the travel and the crowd sizes, so that when he comes up to the big leagues in 2019 or 2020, there won't be such a rough adjustment period.   I'd imagine this promotion is just as much about keeping Soto constantly challenged and progressing as it is about getting him out of the Pfitz-- he is quickly becoming the jewel in the Nats' farm crown, and they probably don't want him sliding around in their sloppy no-drainage outfield.

obviously we'll see what happens, but if he's putting up anywhere near these numbers in Harrisburg I'd imagine he gets the call this year.  We certainly could use the bat in the OF.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #138: May 10, 2018, 02:38:41 PM »
I think it depends on how he hits. Could even see him before. Michael Taylor ain't hitting and Goodwin and Eaton are still a ways off.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #139: May 10, 2018, 02:47:05 PM »
gotta be the youngest in that league? 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #140: May 10, 2018, 02:49:17 PM »
The Nats sort of need Eaton to establish decent health in order to trade his butt out of here.  This may turn out to have been a worse deal for the Nats than Souza for Turner and Ross turned out for the Rays.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #141: May 10, 2018, 02:53:03 PM »
gotta be the youngest in that league? 
Vlad Jr.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #142: May 10, 2018, 03:06:50 PM »
Vlad Jr.
Senators first opponent with Soto on the roster is vs. Vlad's New Hampshire Fisher Cats. That would be a fun weekend in Harrisburg.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #143: May 10, 2018, 03:11:36 PM »
The Nats sort of need Eaton to establish decent health in order to trade his butt out of here.  This may turn out to have been a worse deal for the Nats than Souza for Turner and Ross turned out for the Rays.

It's been such a disaster. 23 games last year, 8 this year and no chance he's back before the ASB this year.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #144: May 10, 2018, 03:15:06 PM »
It's been such a disaster. 23 games last year, 8 this year and no chance he's back before the ASB this year.

Are you his doctor?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #145: May 10, 2018, 03:18:44 PM »
I mean, it's still fairly early to judge. He had a really unfortunate, devastating injury. You can't predict those things. If he gets back, which there's no guarantee of course, and can be a big piece in the postseason and stay relatively healthy the rest of his time here, there's every chance he redeems his time here. It's just a real shame he got hurt. But I don't think its right to call it a disaster in the same way you would like people do the Doyle Alexander for John Smoltz deal.

Offline sph274

« Reply #146: May 10, 2018, 03:34:44 PM »
too bad we couldnt keep reynaldo, he is looking like he will be the one of the big two to actually pan out. Giolito's stock has plummeted

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #147: May 10, 2018, 03:36:07 PM »
Are you his doctor?

Just left to go get a 2nd opinion, he's in a walking boot - best-case is he's doing baseball activities next week, rehabbing the week after that, and is back by June 1. But nothing indicates that's even close.

I mean, it's still fairly early to judge. He had a really unfortunate, devastating injury. You can't predict those things. If he gets back, which there's no guarantee of course, and can be a big piece in the postseason and stay relatively healthy the rest of his time here, there's every chance he redeems his time here. It's just a real shame he got hurt. But I don't think its right to call it a disaster in the same way you would like people do the Doyle Alexander for John Smoltz deal.

right, disaster in the sense of "this has not worked out at all the way we hoped so far due to unforseen issues"

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #148: May 10, 2018, 04:49:28 PM »
right, disaster in the sense of "this has not worked out at all the way we hoped so far due to unforseen issues"
I think a lot folks said, "that's a lot to pay" at the time, but thought "nice transition piece, can hit leadoff for a number of years, and we had no OF prospects close to the majors for the Bryce final years."  In hindsight, it sure looks like we did not need Eaton last year because of Taylor, Goodwin, Lind and Kendrick, don't need him going forward with Robles and Soto (and Taylor and Goodwin), didn't need him at the top of the order, and could really have used Dunning and Lopez. But for selling Giolito high, the trade is working out as worst case scenario.

Oh, and Doyle Alexander went 9-0 down the stretch for the Tigers who won their division because of the trade.  Try Jeff Bagwell for Larry Anderson. 

Online imref

« Reply #149: May 10, 2018, 09:47:50 PM »
1st AB: double
2nd: HR

Ends the game 2-4 with 2 runs scored and 4 RBIs

Guess he’ll be in a Syracuse next week?