Author Topic: NFL Thread (2016-17)  (Read 64983 times)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Re: NFL Thread (2016)
« Reply #25: February 18, 2016, 03:43:15 PM »

So help me out here...is all this business surrounding Peyton Manning about an incident in 1996 where he "mooned" a female trainer, or is there something more to it? 

I understand the bit about present issues at Tennessee today, but strictly talking about the controversy surrounding Manning.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #26: February 18, 2016, 03:46:27 PM »
if it wasn't manning, it would probably just be another footnote in a larger story about a screwed up athletic department (and really, the stuff coming out about baylor now is about as bad as you can possibly get), but it's manning so his name highlights everything

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #27: February 18, 2016, 03:50:34 PM »
So help me out here...is all this business surrounding Peyton Manning about an incident in 1996 where he "mooned" a female trainer, or is there something more to it? 

I understand the bit about present issues at Tennessee today, but strictly talking about the controversy surrounding Manning.
I haven't kept up with it completely but I believe the allegation was that he basically sat on her face and stuck his male thingy there. And then they tried to frame a black player who said he was being set up.  May have gone away but the Mannings took a shot at the doctor in their book which violated a previous agreement. So they apparently had to pay up on that.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #28: February 18, 2016, 04:25:53 PM »
I haven't kept up with it completely but I believe the allegation was that he basically sat on her face and stuck his male thingy there. And then they tried to frame a black player who said he was being set up.  May have gone away but the Mannings took a shot at the doctor in their book which violated a previous agreement. So they apparently had to pay up on that.

yea I was just coming here to post that, I know a lot of people took what happened with the trainer as "boys will be boys" but the Mannings trying to blame black players took it to another level, it just makes them sending men in black trench coats claiming to be police to Sly's house when they found out what he said to Al Jazeera seem a bit more nefarious doesnt' it?  The Mannings don't seem to be people you'd want to get on their bad side, doesn't quite gel with his "aw shucks" demeanor. 

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #29: February 18, 2016, 05:31:10 PM »
So, there's this comedy on Youtube called "Pittsburgh Dad".    He pontificates on various subjects.   They recently asked him if he thought Manning was on growth hormones.   He says, "Abosolutely.   He's takin' dem HBOs.    You seen his Frankenstein head.    No matter where Denver gets the ball, his forehead's already in field goal range."

:rimshot:

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #30: February 19, 2016, 04:21:07 PM »

Ravens second-year tight end Nick Boyle has been suspended for the first 10 games of the 2016 season for violating the NFL’s policy on PED's, the NFL announced Friday.

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/blog/ravens-talk/ravens-te-suspended-10-games-ped-violation?cid=email:CSN%20Mid-Atlantic%20Breaking%20News:2015+-+CSN+Mid-Atlantic+Breaking+News:13082

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #31: February 19, 2016, 04:24:00 PM »
Idiot

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #33: February 20, 2016, 12:46:59 PM »
Saw that.  Along the lines of retirements, add Jerod Mayo from the Pats, too.  11 years for Miller is a lot of hits, but he was still effective.  Kind of Rothlisberger's binky (like Brady's binky is his slot receiver)?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #34: March 01, 2016, 10:44:22 AM »
Using data from Pro Football Reference, the Wall Street Journal has run the numbers and found that as of 2014, the average NFL career is 2.66 years. As recently as 2008, that number was 4.99 years

http://deadspin.com/nfl-careers-are-shorter-than-ever-1762126083

I wonder how much of this is the rookie wage scale both making younger players cheaper and making it easier for teams to get rid of draft busts

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #35: March 01, 2016, 11:17:39 AM »
http://deadspin.com/nfl-careers-are-shorter-than-ever-1762126083

I wonder how much of this is the rookie wage scale both making younger players cheaper and making it easier for teams to get rid of draft busts

Kind of. The rookie pay scale makes it really cheap to keep a guy around, though, since the cap hit/savings is pretty minimal (even for first round guys). For later round picks, it's nothing to cut them, but how often were those picks hitting previously? I feel like scouting has gotten even better, to where the good players really are being picked early (outside of outliers, obviously).

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #36: March 06, 2016, 08:11:38 AM »
PeyPey gonna retire on Monday

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #37: March 06, 2016, 06:26:42 PM »
PeyPey gonna retire on Monday

ESPN said he faced Brady 4 times in the AFC championship game and won 3 of them.  I didn't realize that.   He was 2-6 in Foxboro in the Playoffs, which isn't exactly a bad winning percentage in that stadium in the playoffs.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38: March 06, 2016, 09:26:46 PM »
post-2006 for Indy, and post-2013 and post-2015 in Denver. Brady I think won post '03 or post '04. 

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #39: March 06, 2016, 10:18:56 PM »
ESPN said he faced Brady 4 times in the AFC championship game and won 3 of them.  I didn't realize that.   He was 2-6 in Foxboro in the Playoffs, which isn't exactly a bad winning percentage in that stadium in the playoffs.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #40: March 06, 2016, 10:24:30 PM »

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41: March 07, 2016, 08:30:06 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)
Nice.  A lot of long-time patriot fans started grumbling about the '06 teams and later for looking like the Colts teams we used to poke fun of.  Ineffective defense and pass-happy offense, in comparison to the '01 - '04 teams that had dominant defenses and more controlled and balances offenses.  I think if you look at the run / pass ratios, you'll see that.  Of the earlier teams, my memory might be bad, but I think the only time they went over 30 points (or gave up 30) was in the Carolina super bowl (post '03), when you had just a series of injuries in the defensive backfield in the 2d half (Rodney Harrison playing with a broken arm in the last drive, without tape or having it set . . .).  There was definitely some softness to the '06 - '13 teams. 

Offline mitlen

« Reply #42: March 07, 2016, 08:43:47 AM »
The best defense is a good offense...

I believe a lot of this is due to rules changes.    The offense carries the defense because the defense has been "ruled" out of the game.   The rule changes mean passing is the best way to defeat the other team.    Why run when the defense isn't allowed to defend the pass.   Off the top of my head, I can't think of any sport in the last 20 or so years that has had more rule changes that affect how the game is played.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #43: March 07, 2016, 09:10:34 AM »
I believe a lot of this is due to rules changes.    The offense carries the defense because the defense has been "ruled" out of the game.   The rule changes mean passing is the best way to defeat the other team.    Why run when the defense isn't allowed to defend the pass.   Off the top of my head, I can't think of any sport in the last 20 or so years that has had more rule changes that affect how the game is played.

NBA has totally changed the way you can play defense. I think offense in the NFL winning has always been a thing, but that great defensive teams always pop up from time to time (good defenses are just harder to carry from one season to the next)- the montana 49ers weren't exactly reliant on a strong D, meanwhile, two of the last three superbowl champions had borderline all time great defensive seasons

Offline mitlen

« Reply #44: March 07, 2016, 09:15:34 AM »
NBA has totally changed the way you can play defense.

The NBA hasn't changed what constitutes a basket.     See Megatron.    Which in lies possibly the biggest rule change  ....  replay.   Baseball's gettin' there with replay.   

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #46: March 07, 2016, 01:21:54 PM »
I believe a lot of this is due to rules changes.   

I think a lot of the rule changes making it harder for the defense (especially the defensive backs) were a direct result of Petyon not being able to advance in the playoffs, Polian pushed an awful lot of those changes on the rules committee.  It'll be weird for sure not seeing Peyton on the field next year but I'm sure he'll still inundate us with commercials hawking who knows what by then.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #47: March 07, 2016, 01:26:11 PM »
I think a lot of the rule changes making it harder for the defense (especially the defensive backs) were a direct result of Petyon not being able to advance in the playoffs, Polian pushed an awful lot of those changes on the rules committee.  It'll be weird for sure not seeing Peyton on the field next year but I'm sure he'll still inundate us with commercials hawking who knows what by then.

Damn, you're cynical.    :)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48: March 07, 2016, 01:45:07 PM »
I think a lot of the rule changes making it harder for the defense (especially the defensive backs) were a direct result of Petyon not being able to advance in the playoffs, Polian pushed an awful lot of those changes on the rules committee.   
this is exactly right.  They used to think Ty Law got away with mugging the Colts receivers and gradually took away more and more contact. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #49: March 07, 2016, 01:48:26 PM »
this is exactly right.  They used to think Ty Law got away with mugging the Colts receivers and gradually took away more and more contact. 

It's one of those things where it's great when it's your team, and annoying as hell when you watch it happen to your team because 1) even then it should have been flagged and 2) you wish your DBs could get away with the same thing