Author Topic: 2016 draft watch  (Read 19732 times)

Offline madj55

Re: 2016 draft watch
« Reply #50: June 03, 2016, 06:16:23 PM »
Obviously a highlight reel won't show his flaws, but Reynolds looks like a stud. Could use a guy like him in CF.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #51: June 03, 2016, 09:26:36 PM »
Benson Benson Benson

Wentz Wentz Wentz

Offline joemktg

« Reply #52: June 05, 2016, 06:46:10 PM »
Rizzo from Oakton HS is 5' 10" maintains 195 lbs during season.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #53: June 05, 2016, 07:34:39 PM »
Rizzo from Oakton HS is 5' 10" maintains 195 lbs during season.

Welcome

Offline whytev

« Reply #54: June 05, 2016, 11:25:03 PM »
He was a first-round talent last year. #3 prep SP in the country. Damn shame, especially the way he died. Totally avoidable, but kids being kids. RIP

What a shame. Drunk, I assume?

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #55: June 06, 2016, 09:42:06 AM »
What a shame. Drunk, I assume?

Haven't followed up. Sounds like he couldn't swim, but his friends just thought he joshing around.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #56: June 06, 2016, 10:05:22 AM »
The younger Kieboom looks like a great prospect.

Offline joemktg

Offline joemktg

« Reply #58: June 06, 2016, 10:22:43 AM »
Pre-draft workout at Nats Park yesterday: Kieboom, Rizzo, 2 others (another IF, and an OF).

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #59: June 06, 2016, 10:50:48 AM »
Pre-draft workout at Nats Park yesterday: Kieboom, Rizzo, 2 others (another IF, and an OF).
Do tell more.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #60: June 06, 2016, 11:08:01 AM »

Where'd ya hear that from?

Do tell more.

Yes please

Offline joemktg

« Reply #61: June 06, 2016, 11:32:37 AM »
3 RH hitters, 1 LH hitter. LH hitter peppered RF seats. Kieboom strong CF pop. Far more challenging to LF than RF. Damn true that the ball gets out fast in warm weather. Fielding about equal for all four, taking grounders from 6 spot for the three infielders. Nats cannot go wrong with any of those four position players.

You have to understand that about 1/2 of the clubs hold pre-draft workouts, some at their home field, some at a minor league stadium, and some at a HS field near a hub, e.g., Atlanta location for more than a few clubs. These players, especially the HS players, are flying around to as many of these workouts that are logistically feasible as well as financially feasible (the travel is on the player's family dime). Point: not all players can attend all invited workouts, so just because these four players had a workout doesn't mean that they are the only four on the radar. It may very well exclude those who couldn't travel due to conflicts, $, post-season play (at HS and college level), etc.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #62: June 06, 2016, 11:42:53 AM »
3 RH hitters, 1 LH hitter. LH hitter peppered RF seats. Kieboom strong CF pop. Far more challenging to LF than RF. Damn true that the ball gets out fast in warm weather. Fielding about equal for all four, taking grounders from 6 spot for the three infielders. Nats cannot go wrong with any of those four position players.

You have to understand that about 1/2 of the clubs hold pre-draft workouts, some at their home field, some at a minor league stadium, and some at a HS field near a hub, e.g., Atlanta location for more than a few clubs. These players, especially the HS players, are flying around to as many of these workouts that are logistically feasible as well as financially feasible (the travel is on the player's family dime). Point: not all players can attend all invited workouts, so just because these four players had a workout doesn't mean that they are the only four on the radar. It may very well exclude those who couldn't travel due to conflicts, $, post-season play (at HS and college level), etc.

Are you a scout that was sitting in? Agent? Here's an introduction thread -- feel free to hop in. We'd like to hear more. http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=808.2675

Offline joemktg

« Reply #63: June 06, 2016, 12:25:39 PM »
Neither scout or adviser (prep players do not have "agents" but "advisers"), so please let me leave it at that.

The scouting community have seen the HS players since last June (and before that), at numerous showcases, tourneys, etc. through October. During the winter, the area scouts, crosscheckers, etc., have observed indoor workouts. And, of course, they've (incl. directors and above) observed the players during their HS season to see their development. The boys are well vetted, so not attending a pre-draft workout will not harm a player's standing.

Point: there's an interesting and wide delta between mock drafts and reality, especially after 1-10. All organizations hold their opinions and discussions very close to the vest, and although a few national writers get the 1-1 to 1-10 right, after that it's a crapshoot. Why? A majority of the clubs do NOT speak about their player perceptions, and without a sampling from all clubs, mock draft errors abound.

I don't know the Nats' intentions are in this draft, but I can tell you they're gentlemen, professional, and work their asses off to get this as right as they can.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #64: June 06, 2016, 12:43:32 PM »
Neither scout or adviser (prep players do not have "agents" but "advisers"), so please let me leave it at that.

The scouting community have seen the HS players since last June (and before that), at numerous showcases, tourneys, etc. through October. During the winter, the area scouts, crosscheckers, etc., have observed indoor workouts. And, of course, they've (incl. directors and above) observed the players during their HS season to see their development. The boys are well vetted, so not attending a pre-draft workout will not harm a player's standing.

Point: there's an interesting and wide delta between mock drafts and reality, especially after 1-10. All organizations hold their opinions and discussions very close to the vest, and although a few national writers get the 1-1 to 1-10 right, after that it's a crapshoot. Why? A majority of the clubs do NOT speak about their player perceptions, and without a sampling from all clubs, mock draft errors abound.

I don't know the Nats' intentions are in this draft, but I can tell you they're gentlemen, professional, and work their asses off to get this as right as they can.

Oh, of course -- we appreciate the insight, either way. Sounded like you were a bit more privy to the local workouts (I didn't see any articles, but there very well may have been one). The only added value for a workout would be some facetime with top FO brass (Rizzo, Kline, etc...).

Totally agree on org values differing across the board. The only reason I share mocks is to get an understanding of players & general slots. After the top guys, we usually share PG/BA/etc... scouting reports on the guys drafted.

Offline whytev

« Reply #65: June 06, 2016, 03:57:08 PM »

Is there another Kieboom? Or is this Carter?

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #66: June 06, 2016, 04:28:11 PM »
Battlefield's Jake Agnos final senior year stats: 10-0, 0.48 ERA, 58 IP, 126Ks, OBA against: .062.  Averaged 92 MPH on his FB.  His final start, a first round playoff game, saw him toss a complete game 2 hit shutout, striking out 13 with no walks.

Only real knock on him is that he's only 5' 11". 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #67: June 06, 2016, 04:29:24 PM »

One of my Oakton neighbors perhaps?    :poke:

I know one kid off the team from last year, he's more a deep ocean engineering type than a 1st round draftee but he did get a baseball scholarship to a Florida U.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #68: June 06, 2016, 04:40:26 PM »
Is there another Kieboom? Or is this Carter?

My guess is Spencer's younger brother, Carter. Would be a great pick, IMO

Offline whytev

« Reply #69: June 06, 2016, 04:50:10 PM »

We seem to like getting the brother.

Offline joemktg

« Reply #70: June 06, 2016, 06:18:24 PM »
Battlefield's Jake Agnos final senior year stats: 10-0, 0.48 ERA, 58 IP, 126Ks, OBA against: .062.  Averaged 92 MPH on his FB.  His final start, a first round playoff game, saw him toss a complete game 2 hit shutout, striking out 13 with no walks.

Only real knock on him is that he's only 5' 11". 

Jake is a beast, and All Met POY (rightly so). If he goes to ECU, Coach Godwin will help turn him into a dominant D1 force on the bump and an early round 1 pick.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #71: June 06, 2016, 06:18:51 PM »
What if joemktg is Joe rizzo. 

Self hype= best hype

Offline joemktg

« Reply #72: June 06, 2016, 06:19:06 PM »

Carter. An excellent ballplayer indeed.

Offline joemktg

« Reply #73: June 06, 2016, 06:33:18 PM »
What if joemktg is Joe rizzo. 

Self hype= best hype

It's possible, and if so, just laying out what's happening right now, especially the pre-draft activities. Your call if you think it's hype. I don't think it is; it's only a peak behind the curtain.

Speaking of which: the pre-draft workouts are coming to an end for the potential draftees. If any occur between now and Thursday, it'll be prompted by the club reaching out to the adviser and saying "get X out here right now for a quick workout." Again, on X's dime!

Nats are in the midst of laying out the 850-1000 member draft board. Some are finished, e.g., Cleveland.

Offline whytev

« Reply #74: June 06, 2016, 06:58:21 PM »
Carter. An excellent ballplayer indeed.

Is he profiling to stay at 3B or nah?