Author Topic: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2016)  (Read 47867 times)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Re: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2016)
« Reply #775: December 13, 2016, 04:18:29 PM »
It's like 4 parts water to one "part" whole beans. Let it sit in your fridge for 24 hours. Filter the water off the grounds (I've used a french press).

You can control the strength more by diluting less or more.

It's not like it's going to be earth shattering unless you love coffee but can't take the acid. You're reaction is going to be "Oh - I've had this before." A lot of good machine coffee is cold brew.

What is your water to grounds ratio to get something that strong

Offline Dave B

« Reply #776: December 13, 2016, 07:31:46 PM »
I use about that same ratio.  Brew for 24 hours and drink about 8 ounces plus a little water.  Should I cut back

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #777: December 13, 2016, 08:03:37 PM »
You're saying you could drink 8 oz of the finished product, with a little water in it?  I mean, it should be two ounces of cold brew six ounces (or more) of water...

I use about that same ratio.  Brew for 24 hours and drink about 8 ounces plus a little water.  Should I cut back

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #778: December 13, 2016, 09:01:05 PM »
Grilled chicken on whole-grain with sharp cheddah, red onion, guac, and a couple of fried eggs

Offline Dave B

« Reply #779: December 13, 2016, 09:18:57 PM »
You're saying you could drink 8 oz of the finished product, with a little water in it?  I mean, it should be two ounces of cold brew six ounces (or more) of water...

Yeah. I'll try to wean myself down. 

Offline Dave B

« Reply #780: December 13, 2016, 09:21:15 PM »
http://www.food.com/recipe/basmati-rice-indian-style-198948

This is really good rice.  Haven't really gotten a solid technique down,  but the flavor is good.  I upped the spices a little bit.  1.5 times the rice,  double the spices. Maybe don't need to double the salt. Can be added later

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #781: December 22, 2016, 08:59:00 PM »
The Christmas sauerbraten is marinating!

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #782: December 30, 2016, 12:02:44 PM »
Made up a good tea blend today.  Light body, citrus / floral with just bit of sweetness. Combined 4 teas.  It's my most complex combo yet but it seems to work.  combines Nilgiri, Ceylon,  1st flush Darjeeling, and a hint of Assam.

Offline NatNasty

« Reply #783: December 30, 2016, 08:14:07 PM »
Hope everyone is enjoying the Holidays.  I've been asking for a CI skillet for a couple of years and my Mom finally came through this year.  She doesn't cook much anymore and gave me the skillet she always used when I was growing up.  Trying to find out some info on it.  The only markings are on the underside: a "P" at 6 o'clock and a "7" at 12 o'clock.  Also, there is a fire ring on the underside with notches at 9, 12 & 3 o'clock.  Any guesses on brand and/or year are appreciated. 

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #784: December 30, 2016, 08:15:44 PM »
That's the lead content. 7% P(b).

:poke:

One explanation from Google is that it's a Lodge 7" (P)opover pan, from the 50s.

Hope everyone is enjoying the Holidays.  I've been asking for a CI skillet for a couple of years and my Mom finally came through this year.  She doesn't cook much anymore and gave me the skillet she always used when I was growing up.  Trying to find out some info on it.  The only markings are on the underside: a "P" at 6 o'clock and a "7" at 12 o'clock.  Also, there is a fire ring on the underside with notches at 9, 12 & 3 o'clock.  Any guesses on brand and/or year are appreciated.

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #785: December 30, 2016, 08:21:17 PM »
No soap

Offline NatNasty

« Reply #786: December 30, 2016, 08:27:29 PM »
That's the lead content. 7% P(b).

:poke:
Thanks.  :roll:

I'll never forget the symbol for lead.  Had a buddy in high school who was a huge Zeppelin fan (as it should be).  Wanted personalized license plates but the obvious choices (LED ZEP, ZEPPLIN, etc. were taken).  He ended up getting "PB ZPLN", which I thought was pretty clever.

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #787: December 30, 2016, 08:47:47 PM »
Cast iron is the crap.  I have no idea what the original provenance of our stuff is, but 19th century for sure (it came from the missuses' grandma, and she died at age 95 over a decade ago).  Treat it well and pass it on.   

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #789: December 31, 2016, 07:33:23 PM »

Here's a great resource for researching what it might be.  The 3 notches at 9, 12 and 3 says "Lodge".  Look down this page for some descriptions.

http://www.castironcollector.com/unmarked.php

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #790: December 31, 2016, 07:36:32 PM »
No soap

Once properly seasoned you can use soap.  The seasoning is chemically bonded to the metal and extremely resilient.  I will say that there is quite a bit of debate among afficianados but I use an old Lodge pan I reconditioned recently and now that it's seasoned I use soap all the time.  I do however put a couple drops of oil in it and wipe it down good afterward just in case.   :pray: