Author Topic: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2016)  (Read 48763 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2016)
« Reply #175: February 29, 2016, 07:24:59 PM »
Italian Store for a prosciutto, genoa, and mortadella sub.  'nuff ced.

haven't been there in a while, it's always a zoo.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #176: February 29, 2016, 09:19:45 PM »
Marriott must have bought out a lot of fast food franchises.   Didn't they buy Roy Rogers as well?

Hardees bought Roy's, what a disaster that was.  Ruined a nice asset.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #177: February 29, 2016, 09:45:12 PM »
Hardees bought Roy's, what a disaster that was.  Ruined a nice asset.

I used to frequent the Roys at Wisconsin and Van Ness (?) in the early 70s 'til the day they short changed me.    Never went to Roys again.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #178: March 01, 2016, 07:15:25 AM »
I used to frequent the Roys at Wisconsin and Van Ness (?) in the early 70s 'til the day they short changed me.    Never went to Roys again.

We used to have two Roy Rogers near where I work, one in the former SEC building just south of the Phone Booth, and the other on North Capitol just before you get to the Dubliner. Not only did they have some of the area's best chicken (both nuggets and on-the-bone) but the staff would come round and top up your soft drink, freebie.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #179: March 01, 2016, 09:27:52 AM »
Back in the day that huge Fannie Mae building next door was Johnson's nursery...a good place to, uh, "take a walk" to get in the mood before tucking into a Double R bar burger.

• babble on
« Reply #180: March 04, 2016, 10:28:47 AM »
The contradictions between present self and future self create the dialectical dynamic that drives progress...prosit!  Eat that bonchon and wash it down with single malt.
However, present me has zero problem being a jerk to future me, and when future me becomes present me, it can't remember what past me did to it.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #181: March 04, 2016, 12:28:59 PM »
The contradictions between present self and future self create the dialectical dynamic that drives progress...prosit!  Eat that bonchon and wash it down with single malt.

I gave up hard liquor a few weeks ago. I miss it so.

Offline NatNasty

« Reply #182: March 04, 2016, 02:34:16 PM »
I'm going to grill up some tuna steaks tonight.  Any suggestions on a good marinade or seasoning?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #183: March 04, 2016, 02:43:16 PM »
I'm going to grill up some tuna steaks tonight.  Any suggestions on a good marinade or seasoning?

3 parts soy sauce, 1 part toasted sesame oil, 1 part brown sugar, garlic cayenne and pepper to taste   

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #184: March 04, 2016, 02:44:54 PM »
Don't waste it by cooking. Just slice it up raw and eat as sashimi.  Some soy sauce and wasabi to dip it in.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #185: March 04, 2016, 02:51:03 PM »
Don't waste it by cooking. Just slice it up raw and eat as sashimi.  Some soy sauce and wasabi to dip it in.

Now you're talkin'...  :thumbs:

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #186: March 04, 2016, 03:52:42 PM »
Marinade SLIGHTLY in a small batch of soy sauce & Lowry's Seasoned Pepper.  Marinade 10 min on each side and grill

• babble on
« Reply #187: March 04, 2016, 04:16:43 PM »
A friend just stood in line 4 hours for Franklin BBQ in Austin  :shock: 

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #188: March 04, 2016, 05:12:39 PM »
That's what you gotta do if you want to eat there. What did the friend say? Based on people who've been to both, Pecan Lodge here in Dallas is 90% as good as Franklin and the line is 90% shorter...seems worth the trade-off to me.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #189: March 04, 2016, 05:39:55 PM »

That's madness, I love food but I can't imagine anything tasting good enough to justify that wait.  Plus I already know the best barbecue on earth is at Hillary's in North Chicago nomnomnom  :)

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #190: March 04, 2016, 06:18:03 PM »
That's madness, I love food but I can't imagine anything tasting good enough to justify that wait.  Plus I already know the best barbecue on earth is at Hillary's in North Chicago nomnomnom  :)

Hillery's...

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #191: March 04, 2016, 11:39:18 PM »
Hillery's...

Ah I should've known you'd know Hillery's!! Was that not the most awesome barbecue in the history of ever?? Those ribs totally made up for the stinky pizza I had to endure there :mg:

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #192: March 04, 2016, 11:44:23 PM »
Ah I should've known you'd know Hillery's!! Was that not the most awesome barbecue in the history of ever?? Those ribs totally made up for the stinky pizza I had to endure there :mg:
Funny you should say that...just this week I wrote a love letter to Chicago pizza...

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #193: March 04, 2016, 11:51:36 PM »
Funny you should say that...just this week I wrote a love letter to Chicago pizza...

Booo Houston, I thought you were a connoisseur of good food! :mg:

edit:  but I liked your article a bunch :thumbs:

Offline Dave B

« Reply #194: March 05, 2016, 06:57:30 AM »

Can you drink beer in line

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #195: March 05, 2016, 07:58:29 AM »
Can you drink beer in line
Yes. You can bring beer and lawn chairs.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #196: March 05, 2016, 12:27:51 PM »
It figures a Texan would like it.  It was popularized, and some say invented by, a Texan who liked the Italian ingredients but wanted something more like what folks at home would eat.

[I know there's a dispute about whether Ike Sewell came up with it in his kitchen or, more likely, teamed up with /stole it from someone else who came up with it, but certainly Uno's became associated with it and even helped popularize the style outside Chicago]

Not having chased the stuff down during a visit to Chicago, I can't really opine on the best deep dish, but I'm sure it is enjoyable.  I like what passes as deep dish at the Uno's chain, and I will guess there's much better stuff out there. Just don't call it pizza.  To me, it is like saying roast chicken and fried chicken are the same dish.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #197: March 05, 2016, 01:52:58 PM »
JCA - you are showing your New England bias.  The same sort of difference of opinion can be found in barbeque.  I for one will take any barbeque over the NC vinegar based stuff here in OBX.  But I don't tell 2IPAs that - or I might be speaking in a high pitched voice - even without big hands.

It figures a Texan would like it.  It was popularized, and some say invented by, a Texan who liked the Italian ingredients but wanted something more like what folks at home would eat.

[I know there's a dispute about whether Ike Sewell came up with it in his kitchen or, more likely, teamed up with /stole it from someone else who came up with it, but certainly Uno's became associated with it and even helped popularize the style outside Chicago]

Not having chased the stuff down during a visit to Chicago, I can't really opine on the best deep dish, but I'm sure it is enjoyable.  I like what passes as deep dish at the Uno's chain, and I will guess there's much better stuff out there. Just don't call it pizza.  To me, it is like saying roast chicken and fried chicken are the same dish.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #198: March 05, 2016, 04:29:52 PM »
I should point out that I was born and raised in Indiana and am merely a naturalized Texan.

Offline NatNasty

« Reply #199: March 05, 2016, 04:32:40 PM »
3 parts soy sauce, 1 part toasted sesame oil, 1 part brown sugar, garlic cayenne and pepper to taste
Thanks.  This is what I went with and it had a great flavor.  I also toasted some sesame seeds and sprinkled on both sides.  A bit on the salty side even though I used lite soy (I normally don't use a lot of salt so it doesn't take much for me to taste it).  I may try using an equal part of soy next time.  Also, I didn't realize the steaks were frozen until I took them out to cook.  Doh!  Defrosted one steak and put the other in the freezer for another time. Didn't end up eating until around 10.